Upgrade Questions

Post by Harrison Midkif » Wed, 01 May 2002 23:32:32

Hello:

I am in the process of upgrading my Exchange 5.5 Servers.  Currently they
are:

1.    Windows NT 4.0 Server sp6a
        Exchange 5.5 sp4 Enterprise Edition

2.    Windows NT 4.0 Server sp6a
        Exchange 5.5 sp4 Standard Edition

My goal is to move these on to Windows 2000 servers with Exchange 2000.  I
have surfed Microsoft's web site looking for information on what flavor of
Windows 2000 I can run these on, but I can't seem to find it.  This is what
I am looking at:

 Upgrade Paths

     Windows 2000 (what version) - Exchange 5.5 Enterprise Edition

     Windows 2000 (what version) - Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition

         Windows 2000 (what version) - Exchange 2000 Standard

Also, my director is changing the specs on this constantly as far as how we
are going to

upgrade.  Does any one know of a document that lists out all the upgrade
paths as apposed

to the Standard & Enterprise versions of Exchange?  Thanks.

Harrison Midkiff

(813) 884-7168 ex: 2025

Upgrade Questions

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 02 May 2002 10:50:02

>Hello:

>I am in the process of upgrading my Exchange 5.5 Servers.  Currently they
>are:

>1.    Windows NT 4.0 Server sp6a
>        Exchange 5.5 sp4 Enterprise Edition

>2.    Windows NT 4.0 Server sp6a
>        Exchange 5.5 sp4 Standard Edition

>My goal is to move these on to Windows 2000 servers with Exchange 2000.  I
>have surfed Microsoft's web site looking for information on what flavor of
>Windows 2000 I can run these on, but I can't seem to find it.  This is what
>I am looking at:

> Upgrade Paths

>     Windows 2000 (what version) - Exchange 5.5 Enterprise Edition

>     Windows 2000 (what version) - Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition

>         Windows 2000 (what version) - Exchange 2000 Standard

Which version of W2K you use would depend on how much memory you plan
to use on those servers. If it's 1GB or less, use W2K Server. For 2GB
to 4GB, use W2K Advanced Server and employ the /3GB switch in
boot.ini.

Quote:>Also, my director is changing the specs on this constantly as far as how we
>are going to
>upgrade.  Does any one know of a document that lists out all the upgrade
>paths as apposed
>to the Standard & Enterprise versions of Exchange?  Thanks.

They're both the same. The versions of Exchange differ in the number
and size of the information stores and in the number of "legacy"
connectors and gateways. But as for upgrading from 5.5 to E2k they are
the same.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Exc 5.5 > 2k Upgrade Question

Hi Gurus

I am upgrading to Exch 2k soon - I am concerend about Windows 2000 groups
showing up as Distribution Groups on my new 2k box

Is there anyway around this?

Please advise

Ian McCulloch
Sydney, NS
Canada

2. Exchange server ignores local mail

3. Upgrade Question - Schema

4. OWA security issues

5. Active Directory Connector (ADC)- E2K SP2 upgrade Question

6. Dup messages

7. AD & E2K upgrade question

8. exch 4.0 to 5.5

9. More Migration/Upgrade questions..

10. In Place Upgrade Question Nobody seems to be able to answer

11. upgrade question

12. Upgrade question

13. Upgrade questions