Need help creating public address book

Post by jen » Sat, 06 Sep 2003 06:57:21

we are using exch 5.5, and i've given myself permissions
thru exch admin to change permissions and whatnot so that
i could add a public folder thru Outlook. but once i've
created the folder, and go to the Properties so that i can
give everyone access to it, there is no Permissions tab
like i was excpecting because of the articles i've read.
any ideas??

thanx in advance,
jen

Need help creating public address book

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Sat, 06 Sep 2003 08:52:27

You have to be the owner in order to see that - are you?

> we are using exch 5.5, and i've given myself permissions
> thru exch admin to change permissions and whatnot so that
> i could add a public folder thru Outlook. but once i've
> created the folder, and go to the Properties so that i can
> give everyone access to it, there is no Permissions tab
> like i was excpecting because of the articles i've read.
> any ideas??

> thanx in advance,
> jen

Need help creating public address book

Post by Aimee Beck[MSFT » Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:22:17

Quote:>we are using exch 5.5, and i've given myself permissions
>thru exch admin to change permissions and whatnot so that
>i could add a public folder thru Outlook. but once i've
>created the folder, and go to the Properties so that i can
>give everyone access to it, there is no Permissions tab
>like i was excpecting because of the articles i've read.
>any ideas??

>thanx in advance,
>jen

I believe only an owner of the public folder can see the permissions
tab to grant or deny access to a public folder.

Take a look at:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=243595

The above article might help.

Aimee Beck
Microsoft PSS

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

rights.

Need help creating public address book

Post by jen » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 00:15:15

i dont see anything that shows that i am an owner.  should
i be creating this public folder on my local computer or
onthe exchange server, because both ways i'm having
trouble doing so...if on the server, how do i created it
in the exch admin...

Post by Susan Conke » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 00:22:42

you cannot create a pf in the Exchange admin program...only via Outlook in
5.5...you need to see what your permissions are on the parent folder,
because you can only add/modify permissions if you are an owner...you can
view your permissions in the Exchange admin program...

> i dont see anything that shows that i am an owner.  should
> i be creating this public folder on my local computer or
> onthe exchange server, because both ways i'm having
> trouble doing so...if on the server, how do i created it
> in the exch admin...

Post by jen » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 00:41:39

i've tried giving myself the all the permissions i can
thru out exch admin like modifying permissions option and
what not, and everyone has the ability to create top level
folders. anyone know how/where i give myself owner
permissions in exch admin??

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>you cannot create a pf in the Exchange admin

program...only via Outlook in
>5.5...you need to see what your permissions are on the
parent folder,
>because you can only add/modify permissions if you are an
owner...you can
>view your permissions in the Exchange admin program...

>> i dont see anything that shows that i am an owner.
should
>> i be creating this public folder on my local computer or
>> onthe exchange server, because both ways i'm having
>> trouble doing so...if on the server, how do i created it
>> in the exch admin...

Post by Susan Conke » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 00:56:41

in the Exchange admin, you get the properties of the folder in question,
click on the "Client permissions" button, and make your self an owner...

> i've tried giving myself the all the permissions i can
> thru out exch admin like modifying permissions option and
> what not, and everyone has the ability to create top level
> folders. anyone know how/where i give myself owner
> permissions in exch admin??

Post by jen » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 01:12:13

but the folder in question isnt showing up at all in Exch
admin. it is only available on my local computer, i cannot
share it out.

Post by Susan Conke » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 01:30:29

then it is not a public folder...did you just create a personal folder?

> but the folder in question isnt showing up at all in Exch
> admin. it is only available on my local computer, i cannot
> share it out.

Post by jen » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 01:40:10

yes, it is not a public folder, i'm trying to create a
public folder but am unable to.

Post by Susan Conke » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 01:56:37

I don't understand what you've done, then...are you logged onto a MAPI
profile, accessing an Exchange mailbox that has permissions to create the
public folder?  are you navigating  down to All Public folders, and trying
to create the folder there, or what?

> yes, it is not a public folder, i'm trying to create a
> public folder but am unable to.

Post by jen » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 02:04:58

there is no list of where i can see All Public Folders
available. there are no options to view that that i can
find in Outlook.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I don't understand what you've done, then...are you
logged onto a MAPI
>profile, accessing an Exchange mailbox that has

permissions to create the
>public folder?  are you navigating  down to All Public
folders, and trying
>to create the folder there, or what?

>> yes, it is not a public folder, i'm trying to create a
>> public folder but am unable to.

sounds like you are not connected via MAPI to an Exchange server...