ISPs that will function as backup mail servers

ISPs that will function as backup mail servers

Post by Les Caudl » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:07:23

I would like to run Exchange and DNS from my own network.

Only problem is that I'm on a fixed ip DSL, which is 99% up, but no
guarantees.

I'd like to setup my own DNS server, and Exchange Server - but have a
secondary DNS and a backup mail server on a 'safe' network somewhere
else.

Are there any ISPs that will provide this 'backup' service - for a
small fee - for a small network's needs?
--

ISPs that will function as backup mail servers

Post by Chris Scharff [MVP » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:35:47

Quote:>I would like to run Exchange and DNS from my own network.

>Only problem is that I'm on a fixed ip DSL, which is 99% up, but no
>guarantees.

>I'd like to setup my own DNS server, and Exchange Server - but have a
>secondary DNS and a backup mail server on a 'safe' network somewhere
>else.

>Are there any ISPs that will provide this 'backup' service - for a
>small fee - for a small network's needs?

There are services such as easydns.com which will.

--
Chris Scharff
The Mail Resource Center

Pick of the Month: Free Custom OWA Pages
http://www.messageone.com/m1owa

 http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_smtp.htm

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

1. ISPs need help routing mail to Exchange server over non-permanent Internet connection

I maintain a number of LANs, connected to the Internet via ISDN.  I use
several ISPs but none of them have a good complete solution for mail
delivery to Exchange server when the network connection is intermittent.

Ideal solution:
Each time a PPP connection from the ISDN router is established any mail
queued at the ISP is delivered to the Exchange Server.  E-mail header
information is not altered in the process.

I have found only one ISP in my area who attempts to dequeue the mail for
the domain when the PPP connect is established.  It is a simple script to
send an ETRN to the server. This is a very useful thing to do and I am
suprised that so few ISPs do it.

However, this same ISP finds it necessary to insert a machine name in the

The problem comes in storing the mail when Exchange server is not available
with out bouncing it.  One solution, which is a problem for me is the ISP

with domain.com is mail.ispname.com and the MX record for mail.domain.com
points to the Exchange server.  All mail to domain.com goes to SMTP server
mail.ispname.com.  mail.ispname.com finds an MX record for mail.domain.com
and attempt to forward the mail.  When there is no route to this MX
address, the mail is stored until the another dequeue is attempted for
domain.com when the internet connnection is up.  While this handles
routing, it requires that 2 smtp address be maintained for every Exchange

address used to deliver the mail.

Other ISPs associate to MX records with domain.com with different priority
numbers.  The first MX address attempted is mail.domain.com (the Exchange
server). If there is no route to that address, the second MX address,
mail.ispname.com is used to deliver the mail.  While this solves the
problem of having to maintain two SMTP address per user, my ISP who is
issuing an ETRN for each PPP connection, hasn't been able of figure out the
sendmail.cf configuration.  With two MX record for domain.com, sendmail is
attempt to forward the mail to itself resulting the an error.

If any SMTP/sendmail.cf hacker out there know the solution to this it would
be real helpful.

Thanks is advance.

2. Transcender for Exchange Server 5.5

3. backup mail server (mx 20) won't hold mail for primary server (mx 10)

4. Cannot Receive emails from the world

5. Exchange server mail relay functions

6. Want to set up mail forwarding to an alternative internal Unix SMTP host

7. Exchange Server Bring Forward Mail Function

8. HELP !!

9. Exchange Server Bring Forward Mail Function [EX4, EX5]

10. How to setup e-mail function betw 2 exchange servers and a firewall

11. Event ID 904 Callback function ESE Backup

12. changing isps and outgoing mail has stopped.