Exchange 5.5 Information store size/Mailbox size limits

Exchange 5.5 Information store size/Mailbox size limits

Post by Mike » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 03:37:37

Hello all,
I am looking for some help/information/Research

My users are pack rats and store EVERYTHING in email

I have tried to implement limits - but I am always told -
I need everything

I am trying to get some info together that will support me
in Strictly enforcing mail box size limits

So I need to here what your Information store size is,
mail box limits, and number of users

Here is how I have it set up - I think I am being more
then Generous and well over the industry standards -
Please let me know...

Exchange 5.5 standard- 110 Users
Private store size currently 9.98GIG - on a 46.8GIG drive
Limits
200000K - Warning
400000K - Prohibit send
500000K - Disable mailbox

Currently I have 10 users over 300000K and 9 users over
200000K

These users cried to the CFO and I was TOLD to give them
more space - So I set up personal folders for each one

Now they are all over 500MB on their personal folders and
some in the 900MB range - the personal folders are stored
on their private network share's

Now they are reaching the limits of their Private network
shares to (I have a utility that limits how much space a
user can store on the share it is set to 2GIG for private
share and 250MB for community share per user)

Again they are crying for more space - even though they
have junk in their Personal folders and Inboxes that they
can remove - they say they do not have time.

And my BU times have Tripled, Their Personal shares are
growing in excess of 1GIG a month

The Private store grew 2gig's in 5 weeks

As you can see I need to control this growth - So I need
data to show that my limits are Reasonable and DATA and
Mail storage and clean up IS PART OF THEIR JOB!!

We are a small company - only 115 users

My CIO totally agrees with me

The problem is HIS boss

Totally ignores anything IT

Basically agrees to limits - then when a user reaches the
limits - tells us to remove them because the user has to
do their Job

Ignoring the fact that for the past 2 months these users
have been receiving warning messages and ignoring them

It makes my job all but impossible

PLEASE post any info and what ever else you feel could
help me take this issue to the Big boss and SHOW him that
we are NOT doing things correctly
IE - our store is to big, our limits are too high, and
users JOB must included proper data management.

BTW - the ONLY reason I have been told why the can NOT
clean their mailboxes and manage their server data is

I DONT HAVE ENOUGHT TIME!!

Exchange 5.5 Information store size/Mailbox size limits

Post by Bob [BVP » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 04:03:35

Get your CIO to start requesting higher capacity and faster backup
hardware to handle the data (this will impact restrictions)..   Personal
folders are bad in my opinion because of backup/restore and
security reasons.   We have default non manager mailbox limits of
300MB with only Annoy them policies..  we never prohibit sending
or receiving.. email is too crucial in our business..  We have exceptions
to the limits..  We employ deleted retention policies of 180days, do full backups
everyday, we are at 17GB on 172GB raid set, we also run the Mailbox Manager to
clean up thier sent/deleted items..  we shadow all inbound to a single huge
mailbox homed on it's own server..   Our only requirements for backups is
that they finish within 10 hours..   Our target max stor is 80GB right now..
for 40+ people..

> Hello all,
> I am looking for some help/information/Research

> My users are pack rats and store EVERYTHING in email

> I have tried to implement limits - but I am always told -
> I need everything

> I am trying to get some info together that will support me
> in Strictly enforcing mail box size limits

> So I need to here what your Information store size is,
> mail box limits, and number of users

> Here is how I have it set up - I think I am being more
> then Generous and well over the industry standards -
> Please let me know...

> Exchange 5.5 standard- 110 Users
> Private store size currently 9.98GIG - on a 46.8GIG drive
> Limits
> 200000K - Warning
> 400000K - Prohibit send
> 500000K - Disable mailbox

> Currently I have 10 users over 300000K and 9 users over
> 200000K

> These users cried to the CFO and I was TOLD to give them
> more space - So I set up personal folders for each one

> Now they are all over 500MB on their personal folders and
> some in the 900MB range - the personal folders are stored
> on their private network share's

> Now they are reaching the limits of their Private network
> shares to (I have a utility that limits how much space a
> user can store on the share it is set to 2GIG for private
> share and 250MB for community share per user)

> Again they are crying for more space - even though they
> have junk in their Personal folders and Inboxes that they
> can remove - they say they do not have time.

> And my BU times have Tripled, Their Personal shares are
> growing in excess of 1GIG a month

> The Private store grew 2gig's in 5 weeks

> As you can see I need to control this growth - So I need
> data to show that my limits are Reasonable and DATA and
> Mail storage and clean up IS PART OF THEIR JOB!!

> We are a small company - only 115 users

> My CIO totally agrees with me

> The problem is HIS boss

> Totally ignores anything IT

> Basically agrees to limits - then when a user reaches the
> limits - tells us to remove them because the user has to
> do their Job

> Ignoring the fact that for the past 2 months these users
> have been receiving warning messages and ignoring them

> It makes my job all but impossible

> PLEASE post any info and what ever else you feel could
> help me take this issue to the Big boss and SHOW him that
> we are NOT doing things correctly
> IE - our store is to big, our limits are too high, and
> users JOB must included proper data management.

> BTW - the ONLY reason I have been told why the can NOT
> clean their mailboxes and manage their server data is

> I DONT HAVE ENOUGHT TIME!!

Exchange 5.5 Information store size/Mailbox size limits

Post by Paul Hutching » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 04:28:21

Quote:> As you can see I need to control this growth - So I need
> data to show that my limits are Reasonable and DATA and
> Mail storage and clean up IS PART OF THEIR JOB!!

It's a catch-22, limits will always need exceptions and business needs tend
to override the things IT folks would consider sensible.

Personally for the last four years we've had around 600 mailboxes on a a
PII-350 server with a 36gb store drive with 22gb used and a pair of PII-
300s with 9gb store drives and have been backing up to DAT - slow to backup
and (never had to, thank god) slower to restore.

Just consolidated the server with a Dual Xeon with a 143gb RAID and a 143gb
separate spindle solely for backups and the IS is currently 33gb and takes
an hour to backup and verify.

I use 30 day deleted item retention (may yet increase it), we send storage
warnings to everyone at 100mb but that's all - beyond that I just produce a
.csv of mailbox sizes ever so often and if someone's getting a little
carried away I send a polite "please have a tidy-up" email and mostly they
do.

Bottom line is that they'll keep stuff, and I'm reaching the conclusion
that for the stuff they may access daily I'd sooner it be on the Exchange
box than spread over PSTs everywhere, and for the stuff they keep on a
"just in case" basis then PST archived to CDR - I think that's a fair
compromise.

regards
Paul
--
paul <at> spamcop.net

Exchange 5.5 Information store size/Mailbox size limits

Post by Chri » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:44:52

Well, they'll also get the hint when your standard edition IS hits 16GB and
craps out on you (or I should say them.)
And as others have said. PST's are bad especially since you lose the single
instance store capability that keeps the IS as small as possible anyway.
With PST's, that 50 Megabyte PowerPoint presentation that bob sent to all
the managers takes up 50 MB in each PST, but it would only take up 50MB
total if you had left it in the IS.

Quote:> Hello all,
> I am looking for some help/information/Research

> My users are pack rats and store EVERYTHING in email

> I have tried to implement limits - but I am always told -
> I need everything

> I am trying to get some info together that will support me
> in Strictly enforcing mail box size limits

> So I need to here what your Information store size is,
> mail box limits, and number of users

> Here is how I have it set up - I think I am being more
> then Generous and well over the industry standards -
> Please let me know...

> Exchange 5.5 standard- 110 Users
> Private store size currently 9.98GIG - on a 46.8GIG drive
> Limits
> 200000K - Warning
> 400000K - Prohibit send
> 500000K - Disable mailbox

> Currently I have 10 users over 300000K and 9 users over
> 200000K

> These users cried to the CFO and I was TOLD to give them
> more space - So I set up personal folders for each one

> Now they are all over 500MB on their personal folders and
> some in the 900MB range - the personal folders are stored
> on their private network share's

> Now they are reaching the limits of their Private network
> shares to (I have a utility that limits how much space a
> user can store on the share it is set to 2GIG for private
> share and 250MB for community share per user)

> Again they are crying for more space - even though they
> have junk in their Personal folders and Inboxes that they
> can remove - they say they do not have time.

> And my BU times have Tripled, Their Personal shares are
> growing in excess of 1GIG a month

> The Private store grew 2gig's in 5 weeks

> As you can see I need to control this growth - So I need
> data to show that my limits are Reasonable and DATA and
> Mail storage and clean up IS PART OF THEIR JOB!!

> We are a small company - only 115 users

> My CIO totally agrees with me

> The problem is HIS boss

> Totally ignores anything IT

> Basically agrees to limits - then when a user reaches the
> limits - tells us to remove them because the user has to
> do their Job

> Ignoring the fact that for the past 2 months these users
> have been receiving warning messages and ignoring them

> It makes my job all but impossible

> PLEASE post any info and what ever else you feel could
> help me take this issue to the Big boss and SHOW him that
> we are NOT doing things correctly
> IE - our store is to big, our limits are too high, and
> users JOB must included proper data management.

> BTW - the ONLY reason I have been told why the can NOT
> clean their mailboxes and manage their server data is

> I DONT HAVE ENOUGHT TIME!!

Exchange 5.5 Information store size/Mailbox size limits

Post by Dan » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 00:14:43

I'm having similar issues myself, primarily with my CEO who tells me to
increase his limit every time he reaches it.

Right now my total storage is around 5.5Gig so I still have plenty of room.
What really concerns me is I know his mailbox will continue to grow and
don't want it to 'choke' the server at some point because it size has become
unmanageable.

I have looked in my books but have found nothing saying not to let a mailbox
exceed or actually become a certain size.  Is there any particular evidence
or study's that may reveal an issue with overly large mailboxes? (My CEO's
is over 400Meg now and I limit regular users to 50Meg)

Thanks for any responses!

Regards,

Dan R

Exchange 5.5 Information store size/Mailbox size limits

Post by Chri » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 01:08:24

Since a mailbox is really just pointers to the actual data in the EDB file,
there is no mailbox limit. I have users that are well over 1 GB in their
mailbox and Outlook 2000 on a P3-500 client opens it just as fast as a new
empty mailbox. Its always a delicate balance. But as long as you have the
disk & backup space, your best bet is to not move to PST's but to let your
boss have an unlimited mailbox. I can't believe you can get away with
allowing only 50MB per user. My user's would freak out. ;-)

Quote:> I'm having similar issues myself, primarily with my CEO who tells me to
> increase his limit every time he reaches it.

> Right now my total storage is around 5.5Gig so I still have plenty of
room.
> What really concerns me is I know his mailbox will continue to grow and
> don't want it to 'choke' the server at some point because it size has
become
> unmanageable.

> I have looked in my books but have found nothing saying not to let a
mailbox
> exceed or actually become a certain size.  Is there any particular
evidence
> or study's that may reveal an issue with overly large mailboxes? (My CEO's
> is over 400Meg now and I limit regular users to 50Meg)

> Thanks for any responses!

> Regards,

> Dan R

1. difference between Mailbox Size and Private Store Size - Exchange 5.5 SP4

Hi there,

I have a server running Exchange 5.5 SP4, which has recently started
hitting the 16Gb limit for exchange standard.

My query is this - If I export the Mailbox Resourses list, and add the
Total K column up, it only comes to 5.5gb - where has the extra 10Gb
gone?

I've tried offline defrags, they dont reduce the size very much.

isinteg -test alltests shows 0 errors
eseutil /g shows database consitent

Deleted Item retention is set to 0 days, and the ticky box for dont
delete till backup is unticked.

We are running Backup Exec doing a brick backup of both the whole
information store and the individual mailboxes - this completes
without errors. 10 days ago this was backing up the first 35 mailboxes
totalling 12Gb!, and giving errors saying unable to access the
remaining ones. This has now stopped and its backing up all 137
mailboxes (though nothing has changed permissions wise)

In the last week, the database size shot up by 2gb for no apparent
reason - the previous week it only grew by 30mb.

I think i've detailed all relevant info - if I've missed anything i'd
appreciate knowing! Its doing my head in.

Cheers

Ross Woodward - MCSE Win2k NT4 (not exchange though - yet)
NE Solutions Ltd

2. Multiple users checking 1 mailbox

3. Exchange 2000 Information Store size limit

4. Help on Config the exchange 2000 Server

5. Exchange 2000 have size limit on information store?

6. ExLife - InBox and OutBox (and much more) Assistant for MS Exchange and MS OutLook 97.

7. Information Store Size Limit

8. ASP and CDO to list GAL and members

9. Information Store limit / Maximum Size

10. Information Store Size Limit

11. Information Store(5.0) size limit workaround URGENT

12. Size Limit on the Private Information Store

13. Problem with Private Information store size limit