Hard Drive Upgrade

Post by Dwayne Smit » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:39:25

We are upgrading the disk space on our existing server which Exchange 5.5 is
running.  Can I simply shut down the Exchange Services and perform a Full Offline
backup and then restore to the new drives?

Hard Drive Upgrade

Post by Jerry » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 03:35:08

my recommendation would be to install the new drive, assign a drive letter
to it, then use exchange's inherent ability (Exchange Migration wizard) to
move itself to the new drive...
Jerry D

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 04:33:19

> my recommendation would be to install the new drive, assign a drive letter
> to it, then use exchange's inherent ability (Exchange Migration wizard)

You mean Performance Wizard?

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

Hard Drive Upgrade

Post by ROU Dead of Nigh » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:29:44

Quote:> my recommendation would be to install the new drive, assign a drive letter
> to it, then use exchange's inherent ability (Exchange Migration wizard) to
> move itself to the new drive...
> Jerry D

Interesting post.

You don't need to perform an offline backup to move the databases to new
disks.

Perform an **online** backup.

Shut down and install the new disk(s) according to the manufacturers
instructions (eg if RAID array).

Restart and format the disks.

Run PERFORMANCE OPTIMISER (c:\exchsrvr\bin\perfwiz.exe) - this will analyse
your hard disks, including the new one, and recommend amongst other things
the best place for your databases.  Since the existing disk is full and the
new one is empty, it should suggest to put the databases on the new one.

It moves the databases automatically.

> my recommendation would be to install the new drive, assign a drive letter
> to it, then use exchange's inherent ability (Exchange Migration wizard) to
> move itself to the new drive...
> Jerry D

> We are upgrading the disk space on our existing server which Exchange 5.5
is
> running.  Can I simply shut down the Exchange Services and perform a Full
> Offline
> backup and then restore to the new drives?

1. Exchange Server hard drive upgrade

We would like to install a larger hard drive on our
exchange server and move all of our mailboxes to this
hard drive. We currently have a 9gb drive and would like
to go to a 40gb drive. I know this is somewhat simple but
I cannot find the instructions any where on microsoft to
do this.

2. Outlook web acces.. And Virtual domain

3. Upgrading Hard Drive

4. Exchange 2000 OWA Permissions

5. Upgrading Hard Drives

6. How do I find what build/SP on Exch Svr?

7. Upgrading hard drives

8. Delayed Message Delivery

9. Moving drive M to another new hard drive

10. Moving Exchange server from Primary (C) drive to secondary hard drive

11. constant hard drive activity

12. Exchange 2000 mysteriously filling up hard drive

13. Hard drive swap