Public Folders

Post by Elira » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:20:07

i am using exchange 2000, for some reason i am unable to display Public
Folder's object using system manager, i get the following message when i
duoble click one of the objects  " The object is no longer available
press F5 to refresh ", ID no: 80040e19,
i tried the refresh, i restart the IS service and also restart the
server, still the same message

any idea why??

Thanks

Public Folders

Post by Stephanie Gelma » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 02:24:35

Pardon my venting, but could someone PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE explain why

I'll admit that I'm learning as I go along here and it's quite possible that
I've missed something glaringly obvious, but why can't you simply delete
them from the Exchange Admin Program itself?  Why do I have to add myself as
an Owner to every folder that's been accidentally created by the
rocket-scientists who work here and then delete them from Outlook, only to
find them still listed on the server???  Just wondering.

Thanks!

Stephanie

PS:  Thanks for letting me vent!

Public Folders

Post by Lee Smit » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 03:45:36

It is annoying isn't it.  I have service account rights and even I can't
just delete them and have to set myself as owner.

You should find that they just dissapear if you delete them from the server
though!

> Pardon my venting, but could someone PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE explain why

> I'll admit that I'm learning as I go along here and it's quite possible
that
> I've missed something glaringly obvious, but why can't you simply delete
> them from the Exchange Admin Program itself?  Why do I have to add myself
as
> an Owner to every folder that's been accidentally created by the
> rocket-scientists who work here and then delete them from Outlook, only to
> find them still listed on the server???  Just wondering.

> Thanks!

> Stephanie

> PS:  Thanks for letting me vent!

Public Folders

Post by Exchang » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 05:51:27

The exchange administrator program does not let you delete folders unless
you are the owner of them. you can setup exchange to not allow users to
create public folder at the top level. It is called Top Level Folder
Creation. It is found by selecting the configuration container, then on the
right pane select the information store site configuration object and view
its properties. Then select the Top Level Folder Creation tab and add the
users you want to block and the users you want to allow access to...

> It is annoying isn't it.  I have service account rights and even I can't
> just delete them and have to set myself as owner.

> You should find that they just dissapear if you delete them from the
server
> though!

> > Pardon my venting, but could someone PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE explain why

difficult???

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:53:26

>Pardon my venting, but could someone PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE explain why

>I'll admit that I'm learning as I go along here and it's quite possible that
>I've missed something glaringly obvious, but why can't you simply delete
>them from the Exchange Admin Program itself?

This is a holdover from the MS Mail roots where the clients created
and managed the shared folders.

The Exchange 2000 server lets you remove (or create) folders from the
Exchange System Manager program.

Quote:>Why do I have to add myself as
>an Owner to every folder that's been accidentally created by the
>rocket-scientists who work here and then delete them from Outlook, only to
>find them still listed on the server???

If you didn't give them permission to create top-level folders or
sub-folders you wouldn't have that problem. :)

Did you refresh the view in the admin program after removing the
public folder?

Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP