Adding a New Site/New Organization in a NT 4.0 Domain

Adding a New Site/New Organization in a NT 4.0 Domain

Post by Shelly Anders » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 04:30:15

Hello,

Can someone please tell me whether or not it is safe to setup a new
Exchange 5.5 server ( with a New Site/New Organization) in an NT 4
domain that currently has an one up and running?

It's important that I don't disturb the current directory structure or
cause any replication issues. I want to set up new mailboxes for users
on the test server using the current domain User List as well. Will
there be any adverse affects by duplicating mailboxes or will theses
servers remain completely independent?

Shelly Anderson
***************************

Adding a New Site/New Organization in a NT 4.0 Domain

Post by Rob Wilco » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 05:32:49

So if I read this correctly you have a single NT domain, with a single
Exchange 5.5 Organisation in it.

You want to set up another Exchange 5.5 Org in the same domain, using the
same NT accounts.

That should work.

Thanks

Rob

> Hello,

> Can someone please tell me whether or not it is safe to setup a new
> Exchange 5.5 server ( with a New Site/New Organization) in an NT 4
> domain that currently has an one up and running?

> It's important that I don't disturb the current directory structure or
> cause any replication issues. I want to set up new mailboxes for users
> on the test server using the current domain User List as well. Will
> there be any adverse affects by duplicating mailboxes or will theses
> servers remain completely independent?

> Shelly Anderson
> ***************************

Adding a New Site/New Organization in a NT 4.0 Domain

Post by Shelly Anders » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 23:40:43

Rob,

Are you confident? I really don't want to mess things up! <G>
Thanks again...:)

Shelly

> Hello,

> Can someone please tell me whether or not it is safe to setup a new
> Exchange 5.5 server ( with a New Site/New Organization) in an NT 4
> domain that currently has an one up and running?

> It's important that I don't disturb the current directory structure or
> cause any replication issues. I want to set up new mailboxes for users
> on the test server using the current domain User List as well. Will
> there be any adverse affects by duplicating mailboxes or will theses
> servers remain completely independent?

> Shelly Anderson
> ***************************

Adding a New Site/New Organization in a NT 4.0 Domain

Post by Rob » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 04:01:23

Yes I'm sure.

Thanks

Rob

> Rob,

> Are you confident? I really don't want to mess things up! <G>
> Thanks again...:)

> Shelly

> > Hello,

> > Can someone please tell me whether or not it is safe to setup a new
> > Exchange 5.5 server ( with a New Site/New Organization) in an NT 4
> > domain that currently has an one up and running?

> > It's important that I don't disturb the current directory structure or
> > cause any replication issues. I want to set up new mailboxes for users
> > on the test server using the current domain User List as well. Will
> > there be any adverse affects by duplicating mailboxes or will theses
> > servers remain completely independent?

> > Shelly Anderson
> > ***************************

Adding a New Site/New Organization in a NT 4.0 Domain

Post by Ed Crowley [MVP » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 10:41:45

Not only can you do that, you can set up a separate organization with the
same organization and site names as is already in production and have it be
completely separate.  People often do this for a recovery server.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Rob,

> Are you confident? I really don't want to mess things up! <G>
> Thanks again...:)

> Shelly

> > Hello,

> > Can someone please tell me whether or not it is safe to setup a new
> > Exchange 5.5 server ( with a New Site/New Organization) in an NT 4
> > domain that currently has an one up and running?

> > It's important that I don't disturb the current directory structure or
> > cause any replication issues. I want to set up new mailboxes for users
> > on the test server using the current domain User List as well. Will
> > there be any adverse affects by duplicating mailboxes or will theses
> > servers remain completely independent?

> > Shelly Anderson
> > ***************************

Adding a New Site/New Organization in a NT 4.0 Domain

Post by Shelly Anders » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 22:48:15

Hi Ed,

I believe you answered my next question! Can you verify that I have
understood you correctly?

I *can* install an Exchange 5.5 server using a different "Server Name"
but with same Organization and Site Name that is currently in
production on the same TCP/IP Segment? I just need to make sure I
select "Create A New Site"?  (Whew!)

I've been combing the Exchange Disaster Recovery documents for weeks
and I was very confused about the method of setting up the mailbox
"Recovery Server". Some pictures seemed to indicate a Recovery Lan...

Thank you again for your answers. There are so many details and I
really appreciate your help! :)

Shelly

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 09:34:01

>I *can* install an Exchange 5.5 server using a different "Server Name"
>but with same Organization and Site Name that is currently in
>production on the same TCP/IP Segment? I just need to make sure I
>select "Create A New Site"?  (Whew!)

That's right.

Quote:>I've been combing the Exchange Disaster Recovery documents for weeks
>and I was very confused about the method of setting up the mailbox
>"Recovery Server". Some pictures seemed to indicate a Recovery Lan...

That would be necessary to have two servers with the same name.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Adding a New Site/New Organization in a NT 4.0 Domain

Post by Shelly Anders » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 02:34:41

Thank you Rich!
Shelly

> >I *can* install an Exchange 5.5 server using a different "Server Name"
> >but with same Organization and Site Name that is currently in
> >production on the same TCP/IP Segment? I just need to make sure I
> >select "Create A New Site"?  (Whew!)

> That's right.

> >I've been combing the Exchange Disaster Recovery documents for weeks
> >and I was very confused about the method of setting up the mailbox
> >"Recovery Server". Some pictures seemed to indicate a Recovery Lan...

> That would be necessary to have two servers with the same name.

Adding a New Site/New Organization in a NT 4.0 Domain

Post by Ed Crowley [MVP » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 10:18:01

What am I, chopped liver?
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Thank you Rich!
> Shelly

> > >I *can* install an Exchange 5.5 server using a different "Server Name"
> > >but with same Organization and Site Name that is currently in
> > >production on the same TCP/IP Segment? I just need to make sure I
> > >select "Create A New Site"?  (Whew!)

> > That's right.

> > >I've been combing the Exchange Disaster Recovery documents for weeks
> > >and I was very confused about the method of setting up the mailbox
> > >"Recovery Server". Some pictures seemed to indicate a Recovery Lan...

> > That would be necessary to have two servers with the same name.

Adding a New Site/New Organization in a NT 4.0 Domain

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 09:17:09

Quote:>What am I, chopped liver?

Well, I *am* better looking, Ed. :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Moving Exchange to New Server, New Domain, New Site

I am consolidating three NT domains to one domain.  Before I arrived, things
were not standardized or even really setup properly (even the Exchange
server has a mispelled name "Exhange1" - no "c").  I have reduced us down to
one domain, but still need to move all the users' mailboxes off of the old
exchange server to a new server in the new domain.  I have not been able to
find any good references as to how to get all of the users' old email off
the old one to the new one.  The only solution I have come up with is going
to each user's desktop, adding a personal folder, switching profiles for the
new server, and then uploading the contents of the personal folder.  I would
really hate to have to do that since we have alot of users.  I already tried
using "alternate recipient", but I couldn't get it to work properly.  If
someone has done this before, please help me!

Thanks,
Brian R. Lawton

2. Outlook/Exchange stops working when Internet access goes down???

3. Problems Adding a New Server to an Existing Site/Organization

4. exchange 5.5 and 2000 logs

5. PROBLEMS ADDING NEW SITE IN EXISTING ORGANIZATION

6. mail notification w/o starting outlook or mail reader

7. Adding a New Domain to the Exchange Organization

8. A & MR records in exchange 5.5

9. Moving Exchange 5.5 server (on NT 4.0) to new Win2K AD domain

10. Setting up new Ex2000 w/ NT 4.0 Domain

11. Moving Exchange server to new site + new domain [HELP]

12. Adding New Domain To Exchange Site

13. Exchange 2000 will not add new mail boxwhen adding a new user in AD