First Post: need to retrieve CEO's mail from last week?

First Post: need to retrieve CEO's mail from last week?

Post by dan » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:13:07

Greetings, this is my First Post:
I need to retrieve CEO's mail from last week? I am a
newbie and do not have much time... I had looked under
recipents/mailboxes and private information store but I am
not sure how to find a email that was sent last week.
It is not clear where the mail and attachments are kept???

Can anyone please help?
Thank you.

Dan

First Post: need to retrieve CEO's mail from last week?

Post by Susa » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:17:16

all email is kept in the database...only two ways to recover email...if you
have Deleted Items Retention configured, you can do it in Outlook (Tools,
Recover Deleted Items) - if you do not have DIR configured, or it's past the
retention window, only other option is to perform a restore...what version
Exchange?

Quote:> Greetings, this is my First Post:
> I need to retrieve CEO's mail from last week? I am a
> newbie and do not have much time... I had looked under
> recipents/mailboxes and private information store but I am
> not sure how to find a email that was sent last week.
> It is not clear where the mail and attachments are kept???

> Can anyone please help?
> Thank you.

> Dan

First Post: need to retrieve CEO's mail from last week?

Post by dan » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:00:29

Hi Susan, thanks for the reply.
it is EX 5.5

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>all email is kept in the database...only two ways to

recover email...if you
Quote:>have Deleted Items Retention configured, you can do it in
Outlook (Tools,
>Recover Deleted Items) - if you do not have DIR

configured, or it's past the
Quote:>retention window, only other option is to perform a

restore...what version
>Exchange?

message

>> Greetings, this is my First Post:
>> I need to retrieve CEO's mail from last week? I am a
>> newbie and do not have much time... I had looked under
>> recipents/mailboxes and private information store but I
am
>> not sure how to find a email that was sent last week.
>> It is not clear where the mail and attachments are
kept???

>> Can anyone please help?
>> Thank you.

>> Dan

>.

First Post: need to retrieve CEO's mail from last week?

Post by Susa » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:03:49

do you have Deleted Items Retention configured?  If not, here's what you'll
have to do:

http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/techinfo/administration/55/BackupRe...
sp

> Hi Susan, thanks for the reply.
> it is EX 5.5

Post by dan » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:23:44

Hi Susan,
No I do not think Deleted Items Retention is configured.
Wow, sure seems like a chore just to find an email that
was sent a week ago!

I have been searching for over an hour on a multitude of
websites and viewed the Books Online for Exchange5.5 and I
had such a hard time finding info on "how to view the mail
in a users mailbox"....

Is what you suggested the only to view someones mail for
retrieval purposes?

Dan

55/BackupRestore.a
>sp

message

>> Hi Susan, thanks for the reply.
>> it is EX 5.5

Post by Susa » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:39:02

I guess I misunderstood you...was the email not deleted?  when the word
"retrieve" or "recover" is used, I presume that the mail was deleted...if
the mail is still in the mailbox, all you need to do is logon to the mailbox
to view it...You can do that via Outlook or OWA...you will need to grant
yourself "user" permissions on the mailbox, or logon with the Site Services
account to do it...

> Hi Susan,
> No I do not think Deleted Items Retention is configured.
> Wow, sure seems like a chore just to find an email that
> was sent a week ago!

> I have been searching for over an hour on a multitude of
> websites and viewed the Books Online for Exchange5.5 and I
> had such a hard time finding info on "how to view the mail
> in a users mailbox"....

> Is what you suggested the only to view someones mail for
> retrieval purposes?

> Dan

Post by <anonym.. » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:54:09

okay, I understand...

So what I need to do is grant myself permissions to his
mailbox...
Thanks so much for your help.
Dan

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I guess I misunderstood you...was the email not deleted?
when the word
>"retrieve" or "recover" is used, I presume that the mail
was deleted...if
>the mail is still in the mailbox, all you need to do is

logon to the mailbox
>to view it...You can do that via Outlook or OWA...you
will need to grant
>yourself "user" permissions on the mailbox, or logon with
the Site Services
>account to do it...

message

>> Hi Susan,
>> No I do not think Deleted Items Retention is configured.
>> Wow, sure seems like a chore just to find an email that
>> was sent a week ago!

>> I have been searching for over an hour on a multitude of
>> websites and viewed the Books Online for Exchange5.5
and I
>> had such a hard time finding info on "how to view the
mail
>> in a users mailbox"....

>> Is what you suggested the only to view someones mail for
>> retrieval purposes?

>> Dan

1. don't screw up your CEO's mailbox - 2'nd post

Well I guess, I found the reason for this:
You have to have:

Exchange 5.5 and windows 2000
No, Active Directory Connector.

When you create the mailbox and account from E 5.5 - you are fine.

But, if you create the account from Windows 2000 active directory and
associate that account from Exchange 5.5 's mailbox creation process, you
are screwed
up.

I really don't know why this happens.

2. Sender Name on Forwarded E-Mail

3. GAL sort by last, first name, with from email from First Last

4. Re IMS cant find the RAS phonebook

5. First Last..Last, First...Both?

6. IMC Configuration Problem

7. Global Address List Display -Last Name VS First name or First name Last name

8. E2K wont send mail to all domain's

9. GAL and last, first / first-last

10. Last, First..First Last..Both?

11. Last Step: Need to move public folders off first server to new one

12. Test - my last post didn't appear

13. Exchange 2000 mailbox Permissions - anyone can read CEO's mail