IMAP vs. Exchange Protocol over low speed connection.

IMAP vs. Exchange Protocol over low speed connection.

Post by Lance Osojnick » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

I am testing some remote access issues
with Exchange. I have some users accessing
their Exchange Inbox remotely. There are many
complaints about performance. Would it be
more efficient to access their mail via IMAP?
Could this cause potential problems with
thier Exchange Inbox?

TIA

IMAP vs. Exchange Protocol over low speed connection.

Post by Chris Scharf » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

By low speed connection do we mean dial-up, VPN, 56K satellite hop, tin cans
& string? Depending on how these users connect and work, there are several
possibilities
For dial-up users who are accessing their mailbox, a combination of
subfolders, judicious file management and optimizing Outlook for offline use
is normally sufficient. For used connected over a dedicated line, other
options, such as saving attachments to a local file server might be
appropriate.

Later versions of Outlook (e.g. Outlook 98) offer better support for remote
users, you may want to test several configurations and see if one works
better for you than another. I've found that leaving hundreds/ thousands of
items in the default mail folders, tends to add enormous overhead to the
synchronization time. Moving that mail to subfolders speeds things up quite
a bit.

Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator
Black & Veatch LLP

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>I am testing some remote access issues
>with Exchange. I have some users accessing
>their Exchange Inbox remotely. There are many
>complaints about performance. Would it be
>more efficient to access their mail via IMAP?
>Could this cause potential problems with
>thier Exchange Inbox?

IMAP4 will work okay (provided you're running Exchange 5.5), but they
won't be able to use any of the MAPI features.

1. Synchronizing over low speed connections

Hi,
    I have a network that connects to our Exchange server via a 56K
connection to the Internet. We're trying to do shared scheduling via Outlook
so I have all the mail, etc delivered to the mailbox on the server. However,
any time there are large attachments in e-mail messages, the attachment
comes down once when the message arrives then seems to come down again when
the mailbox is synched. This is a serious problem over a 56K line and even
more so over a 28.8 dialup line. Anyone have any thoughts on how to stop the
silly double download through the synch??
    Please e-mail as I don't always have the time to read the newsgroups.

Ric

2. outlook client can't send to distribution list

3. Multiple protocols-TCP/IP and NetBEUI on W95 LAN with D-U server-speed/resources issues

4. ATT00001.HTML issue

5. low connection to Exchange...

6. Filtering files with exchange, possible ?

7. IMAP protocol for exchange

8. dsexport.exe

9. IMAP protocol in Exchange Server

10. Question about OWA vs Exchange sending protocol

11. Minimum Outlook Client connection speed Exch 5.5

12. switch high speed connection