sending email via MS DOS application via MS Exchange

sending email via MS DOS application via MS Exchange

Post by Tammy McNa » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 05:37:26

Hi...

I am still working in a business system that runs out of an MS-DOS environment
(It's written in something called OpenBasic).  We are currently using MS Exchange
5.5 as our email server.

I have some users that are interested in sending emails (either internally or
externally) based on certain activities/functions performed within our business
system.

Is this a possibility? If so, what would be the easiest way? Is there any type of
MS-DOS command that could be used to create/send a simple email -
recipient/subject/body?

Thanks,

Tammy McNab
Phoenix Products Co.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:39:33

>I am still working in a business system that runs out of an MS-DOS environment
>(It's written in something called OpenBasic).  We are currently using MS Exchange
>5.5 as our email server.

>I have some users that are interested in sending emails (either internally or
>externally) based on certain activities/functions performed within our business
>system.

>Is this a possibility? If so, what would be the easiest way? Is there any type of
>MS-DOS command that could be used to create/send a simple email -
>recipient/subject/body?

See if you can locate the "Clients" CD that came with the original 5.5
server (or even the 4.0 release). Both contained a DOS version of the
Exchange client. It was ugly, but it probably woul suit you needs.
Other than that, a POP3 or IMAP4 client running in DOS would work.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:38:57

> <snip>

> See if you can locate the "Clients" CD that came with the original 5.5
> server (or even the 4.0 release).

DOS client for NT, that comes on NT4 Server disk also contains DOS mail client.

Quote:> <snip>

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so.

Kirill

sending email via MS DOS application via MS Exchange

Post by Wesley Peace [MVP » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 07:38:23

Another possible option is to use VBScript and CDO to build a batch file
that would create the message you want to send.

A ship ought not to be held by one anchor, nor life by a single
hope. -Epictetus, philosopher (c. 60-120)

Microsoft BackOffice/Exchange MVP
FAQ at  http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Post by Eric Coope » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:11:05

Hi...

I am still working in a business system that runs out of an MS-DOS
environment
(It's written in something called OpenBasic).  We are currently using MS
Exchange
5.5 as our email server.

I have some users that are interested in sending emails (either internally
or
externally) based on certain activities/functions performed within our
business
system.

Is this a possibility? If so, what would be the easiest way? Is there any
type of
MS-DOS command that could be used to create/send a simple email -
recipient/subject/body?
------

You could try mapisend.exe from the Back Office Resource Kit.

Eric

1. Problems trying to pull MS Schedule Contact List into Word via MS Exchange

       When trying to do this receive error msg:

            There are no address fields in this address book.  Pick the
            desired address book and try again.

     Have tried re-installing Exchange, Schedule with no luck.  Found some
info on the net
where the user was doing the same thing except using Outlook rather than
Exchange.  It
says to make sure all fields in Schedule contact list are in capital
letters, make sure first
and last names don't appear in the first box on the business tab.  Have
tried these and am
still having no luck and getting the same error msg.  Any help on this
would be much
appreciated,
Thanks,
Bruce

2. permissions redirecting email to a public folder

3. invalid login when using exchange + instant messenger

4. sending from mac via ms exchange

5. Cannot view Public folder properties... anyone that can help me?

6. Forward MS Mail email via Exchange to Internet ?

7. ERROR: "Could not open one or more attachments.."

8. MS PO Users cannot send SMTP mail via IMC

9. MS PO users cannot send SMTP mail via IMC

10. Using Exchange in MS-DOS prompt to send a message

11. Exchange to Exchange via MS Mail Connector