Howto change primary address of Custom Recpts?

Howto change primary address of Custom Recpts?

Post by Alan » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:40:37

Hello,

Ihave have an Ex 5.5 SP3 server with 2000 or so custom recipients. The
custom recipient's primary address is an X400 address but they also have an
Internet address. What I want to do is change all the primary addresses from
X400 to Internet addresses.

If I use Ex Admin to change the primary address (by deleting the x400
address and entering the SMTP address), I get a "user unknown" error back
instantly when I send mail. Any ideas please?

Thanks,

- Alan.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 01 May 2003 10:25:29

>Hello,

>Ihave have an Ex 5.5 SP3 server with 2000 or so custom recipients. The
>custom recipient's primary address is an X400 address but they also have an
>Internet address. What I want to do is change all the primary addresses from
>X400 to Internet addresses.

>If I use Ex Admin to change the primary address (by deleting the x400
>address and entering the SMTP address), I get a "user unknown" error back
>instantly when I send mail. Any ideas please?

Don't delete the X.400 address. Every Exchange directory object
requires one.

Change the CR's "E-Mail" address (at the bottom of its "General" tab)
to be a SMTP address.

If the CR has only one X.400 address, modify it so it looks like the
X.400 addresses assigned by Exchange to the mailboxes. If it has two
X.400 addresses, make the one for the Exchange organization the
primary X.400 address and either keep the old X.400 address as a
secondary proxy address, or delete it.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Howto change primary address of Custom Recpts?

Post by Alan » Thu, 01 May 2003 19:24:59

Thanks very much, Rich, I changed a couple of CR entries manually and it
worked perfectly. I'm gonna setup the directory import to change all the CRs
automatically.

Thanks again,

- Alan.