Attachment blocking Exchange 5.5/Outlook 2000 SP1

Attachment blocking Exchange 5.5/Outlook 2000 SP1

Post by Willi » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:24:18

Hello ALL,

May I have some of your advices on this issue. I have installed Exchange
Server 5.5 SP4 and Outlook 2000 SP1 on my client workstation. This is a test
lab setup for testing file extension attachment blocking and enabling.
When I try to send a .mdb attachment to my Outlook 2000 SP1 client mail box,
I receive a notification message stating "
  Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments:
[...]
  Is there a way on Exchange Server 5.5 SP4 to manually remove the security
level 1 setting for letting *.mdb extension to pass through the Exchange
Server to my client workstation? Beside changing file extension, and using
3rd. party compression software.
  I have search MS sites and came upon this link below. Is there a security
option on Exchange Server to filter out file extension blocking/enabling? I
have look everywhere on Exchange Admin menu.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318515

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290497

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Willie

Attachment blocking Exchange 5.5/Outlook 2000 SP1

Post by Ben Walmsle » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 18:17:02

Willie,

At the bottom of one of those articles is this link.
us;Q263297
I installed this and it is all working well.
Ben

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hello ALL,

>May I have some of your advices on this issue. I have
installed Exchange
>Server 5.5 SP4 and Outlook 2000 SP1 on my client

workstation. This is a test
Quote:>lab setup for testing file extension attachment blocking
and enabling.
>When I try to send a .mdb attachment to my Outlook 2000

SP1 client mail box,
Quote:>I receive a notification message stating "
>  Outlook blocked access to the following potentially
unsafe attachments:
>[...]
>  Is there a way on Exchange Server 5.5 SP4 to manually
remove the security
>level 1 setting for letting *.mdb extension to pass

through the Exchange
Quote:>Server to my client workstation? Beside changing file

extension, and using
Quote:>3rd. party compression software.
>  I have search MS sites and came upon this link below.
Is there a security
>option on Exchange Server to filter out file extension

blocking/enabling? I
Quote:>have look everywhere on Exchange Admin menu.

us;Q318515

us;Q290497

>Thank you in advance for your help.

>Regards,
>Willie

>.

Attachment blocking Exchange 5.5/Outlook 2000 SP1

Post by philipp » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:24:51

The problem is on the client side, you have to disable
security feature in Outook.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----