Transfer messages between Exchange 4.0 and 5.0 servers

Transfer messages between Exchange 4.0 and 5.0 servers

Post by Jeff Trombl » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I am about to start upgrading a customer to Exchange 5.0 from 4.0 at their
national office and all the section offices.  I wanted to test
communication between the different versions so I set up a new server in a
different site with Exchange 5.0.  I then created an X.400 connector
between this server and a server at one of the section offices running
Exchange 4.0.  I also created a Directory Replication Connector between the
2 sites and the Directories started replicating immediatly.

The problem I'm having now is that any email messages we send between sites
can take up to an hour to deliver.  The servers running 4.0 transfer email
messages immediatly between each site.  BTW the sites are all connected
together through frame relay.

Has anyone had any similar experiences when upgrading to 5.0?

1. Setup new Server w/MS Exchange Server 4.0 / transfer files from old to new

Hi,

I've made 3 attempted to upgrade from MS Exchange Server 4.0 to 5.5. I
failed each time for different reasons.

What I've decided to do is install a new NT 4.0 w/service pack 3 + Roll-Up.
Then install new MS Exchange 4.0 w/service pack 4.

At this point I want to bring over *all* my existing exchange configuration
/ database from the old exchange to the new exchange.

What files/directories do I need to copy over from the old Exchange
configuration to the New Exchange to bring my e-mail back online? Is there
anything in the registry that I need to backup?

Will the new install of Exchange work if I copy over the Exchsrvr
directories to the new drive?

Once I get the new install of Exchange Server 4.0 working I will attemp to
upgrade to 5.5 again.

I would appreciate some feedback and recommendation you can give.

Thanks in advance!

---------------------------
Indranie Sanichar
Sanichar Consulting - Network and Internet Company

2. SP 4 Installation

3. Upgrade Exchange SERVER 4.0 to 5.0 (on NT 4.0)

4. Cant Send Email Problem

5. Exchange Server 5.0 / NT Server 4.0 and NT Server 3.51

6. smtp and/or x400 with custom recipients information wanted !

7. Info on Upgrading from 4.0 Exchange Server to 5.0 Exchange Server

8. Outlook 2000 Connectivity to Exchange 5.5 Problem

9. Transferring Exchange 5.0 to another NT-server

10. Problems with NT 4.0 server with Exchange server 5.0

11. Upgrade Exchange 4.0 on NT 3.51 to Exchange 5.0 NT 4.0

12. Reinstall NT Server 4.0 over Exchange Server 5.0

13. Will Win95 Exchange 4.0 client work with Exchange 5.0 Server