2 exchange questions/problems: SMTP relay restrictions, can't connect to some domain names

2 exchange questions/problems: SMTP relay restrictions, can't connect to some domain names

Post by Nick » Wed, 22 May 2002 03:21:35

(1)  Hi, one of my users is trying to send mail to a client of ours and is
getting the relay restriction error. The error states " You do not have
permission to send to this recipient. <(FQDN here) #5.7.1 smtp; 550 5.7.1
unable to relay for (e-mail address of client)>"

But the thing is, I have explicity granted the IP of his machine to use
relay. Is there anything else that I should check out?

(2)   one of my users is trying to send mail to a client. But in the SMTP
queue it just wont connect to it. I have forced connection, but it still
wont connect and send the mail. The client receives mail from everyone else
but us. I'm just wondering if thats a exchange feature, not being able to
connect to different domains and such to send mail. Is it our DNS server
that needs to be reconfigured?

Thanks!

Nick

2 exchange questions/problems: SMTP relay restrictions, can't connect to some domain names

Post by Mario A. Autor » Thu, 23 May 2002 04:10:38

You are trying to send mails via SMTP client this is called relay if the
destination is not the inbound domain.
Exchange 2000 is closed to relay by default , in order to relay mails you
must authenticate using your client software.
This configuration is the default one in order to prevent spamming.

If you are using outlook express open the Exchange account properties in the
server tab
mark the checkbox the outgoing server require me to authenticate.
That should solve the problem.
To change the defaults relay options under the SMTP virtual server access
page configure you will find the relay options.

--
Please do not send email directly to this alias.

Ronen Gabbay   MCT   MCSE+I   MCDBA
Hi-Tech College
ISRAEL

1. smtp relay restrictions problem

hi all,

i have problem. i have configured my server to stop relaying following the
steps mentioned in the below article
http://info.connect.com.au/docs/exchange/relay.html

i have users who use pop3 clients to retreive their mails. Now they r unable
to send mails. does anyone know how to tackle this situation. im using
exchange 5.5 with sp3 on windows 2000 server.

thanks in advance
-pragnesh mistry

2. Problem installing the Microsoft CDO Libraries in Exchange 2000

3. Size restriction problem where there's no restriction

4. remove displayname in FROM: field

5. Relay restrictions and Mustang Software's Listcaster

6. Calender restriction

7. Relaying and Routing Restriction Question.

8. Sending email from Siebel database

9. Relay restrictions and Mustang Software's Listcaster

10. Relay restriction problem on exchange 2000

11. Is SMTP Relay Restriction Working Properly

12. SMTP Relay Restriction.

13. SMTP relay still open after Routing Restrictions set?