Outlook 2002 can't contact Exchange 2000 server

Outlook 2002 can't contact Exchange 2000 server

Post by Rich S » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:47:44

Hello,

We have Outlook 2002/XP running on Windows 2K Pro desktops and have Exchange
2000 on Win2K Server, all with SP3.   We have 2 remote sites connected to HQ
via T1 line.

Problem:
Occassionally (several times per day at different desktops at both remote
offices), when users attempt to send an email message, they get a dialog box
that says it is attempting to contact Exchange server
<servername.domainname.net>.  This dialog may stay on the screen for
anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes.  If the user takes the Cancel option, they
sometimes can attempt to send again, and it's a 50/50 chance of success.
The wierd thing is that the message does not reference our Exchange server.
It refers to another server which is a backup server.  Exchange has never
been on this server.  Since the message gives a full domain name, we checked
DNS but found nothing wrong.  Server logs indicate nothing.  We also run
WINS for remaining Win9x clients but no WIN9x systems are affected.
Everything had been in place at least 2 months since this started.

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what may be causing this?

TIA,
Rich

Outlook 2002 can't contact Exchange 2000 server

Post by fgbd » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:51:44

Is the backup server a DC? and the client is actually trying to
authenticate?

Quote:> Hello,

> We have Outlook 2002/XP running on Windows 2K Pro desktops and have
Exchange
> 2000 on Win2K Server, all with SP3.   We have 2 remote sites connected to
HQ
> via T1 line.

> Problem:
> Occassionally (several times per day at different desktops at both remote
> offices), when users attempt to send an email message, they get a dialog
box
> that says it is attempting to contact Exchange server
> <servername.domainname.net>.  This dialog may stay on the screen for
> anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes.  If the user takes the Cancel option, they
> sometimes can attempt to send again, and it's a 50/50 chance of success.
> The wierd thing is that the message does not reference our Exchange
server.
> It refers to another server which is a backup server.  Exchange has never
> been on this server.  Since the message gives a full domain name, we
checked
> DNS but found nothing wrong.  Server logs indicate nothing.  We also run
> WINS for remaining Win9x clients but no WIN9x systems are affected.
> Everything had been in place at least 2 months since this started.

> Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what may be causing this?

> TIA,
> Rich

Outlook 2002 can't contact Exchange 2000 server

Post by Rich S » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:22:49

yes, the backup server is a DC.
If I understand you correctly, the No, the client is not trying to
authenticate.  The client has already started Outlook, viewed emails, etc.
This is just when they click to SEND.

> Is the backup server a DC? and the client is actually trying to
> authenticate?

> > Hello,

> > We have Outlook 2002/XP running on Windows 2K Pro desktops and have
> Exchange
> > 2000 on Win2K Server, all with SP3.   We have 2 remote sites connected
> HQ
> > via T1 line.

> > Problem:
> > Occassionally (several times per day at different desktops at both
remote
> > offices), when users attempt to send an email message, they get a dialog
> box
> > that says it is attempting to contact Exchange server
> > <servername.domainname.net>.  This dialog may stay on the screen for
> > anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes.  If the user takes the Cancel option, they
> > sometimes can attempt to send again, and it's a 50/50 chance of success.
> > The wierd thing is that the message does not reference our Exchange
> server.
> > It refers to another server which is a backup server.  Exchange has
never
> > been on this server.  Since the message gives a full domain name, we
> checked
> > DNS but found nothing wrong.  Server logs indicate nothing.  We also run
> > WINS for remaining Win9x clients but no WIN9x systems are affected.
> > Everything had been in place at least 2 months since this started.

> > Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what may be causing this?

> > TIA,
> > Rich

Outlook 2002 can't contact Exchange 2000 server

Post by fgbd » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:37:29

I really don't know the process of sending mail and authentication, but it
sounds to me like there is some sort of authentication going on; howerver,
you would think they would have the same problem when logging on to the
domain.

> yes, the backup server is a DC.
> If I understand you correctly, the No, the client is not trying to
> authenticate.  The client has already started Outlook, viewed emails, etc.
> This is just when they click to SEND.

> > Is the backup server a DC? and the client is actually trying to
> > authenticate?

> > > Hello,

> > > We have Outlook 2002/XP running on Windows 2K Pro desktops and have
> > Exchange
> > > 2000 on Win2K Server, all with SP3.   We have 2 remote sites connected
> > HQ
> > > via T1 line.

> > > Problem:
> > > Occassionally (several times per day at different desktops at both
> remote
> > > offices), when users attempt to send an email message, they get a
dialog
> > box
> > > that says it is attempting to contact Exchange server
> > > <servername.domainname.net>.  This dialog may stay on the screen for
> > > anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes.  If the user takes the Cancel option,
they
> > > sometimes can attempt to send again, and it's a 50/50 chance of
success.
> > > The wierd thing is that the message does not reference our Exchange
> > server.
> > > It refers to another server which is a backup server.  Exchange has
> never
> > > been on this server.  Since the message gives a full domain name, we
> > checked
> > > DNS but found nothing wrong.  Server logs indicate nothing.  We also
run
> > > WINS for remaining Win9x clients but no WIN9x systems are affected.
> > > Everything had been in place at least 2 months since this started.

> > > Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what may be causing this?

> > > TIA,
> > > Rich

1. Contact Management using Exchange 2000 & Outlook 2002

We have a Press Office that maintains various distribution lists for
sending Press Releases and for managing their media and outreach
contacts.

We have just upgraded to Exchange 2000 & Outlook 2002 and have RightFax.

Should we use Exchange 2000 & Outlook 2002 to do Contact Management or
should we consider an Application that sits ontop of Exchange or a
product like GoldMine?

Any thoughts of what is best?

They have over 35 lists each ranging from 300 to 15,000 contacts. Some
are used for faxing and others for E-Mailing. The E-Mails are always
sent individually so that no one knows who they have been sent to and
the Sender and return addresses are that of the OPA office and not of
the individual sending them.

-Brooks Vaughn

2. Scripting to database

3. Outlook 2002 Can't Logon to Exchange 2000

4. OWA BEGINNER!

5. Outlook 2002 searching for old Exchange server following updgrade to Exchange 2000

6. Agents and scripting

7. REPOST: Outlook 2002 searching for old Exchange server following updgrade to Exchange 2000

8. design outlook forms

9. Outlook 2002 Email Attachements and Exchange 2000 server

10. How do I change the default forms on a Outlook 2002 with exchange 2000 server

11. Outlook 2002 Internet Connectivity to Exchange Server 2000

12. Outlook 2002 searching for old Exchange server following updgrade to 2000

13. remote access to exchange server 2000 from OUTLOOK 2002 by dialup