save username-domain in Outlook client

Post by Tom Le » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

We have some Outlook clients that don't log into the domain when they log
into Windows.  So, when they start up Outlook and log onto their Exchange
mailbox, they are prompted for their user name, domain, and password.  On
some machines, the user name and domain name are cached, appearing every
time so that the user only has to enter their password.  However, on other
computers the user has to enter the username, domain and password every
time.  How can we make sure the username and domain is saved on the user's
PC?

Another question is how do we let these users change their password?  When
they try to do so from Outlook, the operation fails.  I know in OWA for
example, you can only change passwords if you use HTTPS, but why would these
users not be able to change their passwords after authenticating to the
domain?

Thanks,
Tom

save username-domain in Outlook client

Post by Seth Aronso » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

As far as I know, there's no way for POP3 clients to change their passwords.
I posted a similar question several weeks ago.  The POP3 protocol doesn't
allow this operation.

Quote:

> We have some Outlook clients that don't log into the domain when they log
> into Windows.  So, when they start up Outlook and log onto their Exchange
> mailbox, they are prompted for their user name, domain, and password.  On
> some machines, the user name and domain name are cached, appearing every
> time so that the user only has to enter their password.  However, on other
> computers the user has to enter the username, domain and password every
> time.  How can we make sure the username and domain is saved on the user's
> PC?

> Another question is how do we let these users change their password?  When
> they try to do so from Outlook, the operation fails.  I know in OWA for
> example, you can only change passwords if you use HTTPS, but why would
these
> users not be able to change their passwords after authenticating to the
> domain?

> Thanks,
> Tom

save username-domain in Outlook client

Post by Tom Le » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

We're not using POP3 - the Outlook clients are connecting natively directly
to the Exchange server.  (they have the Exchange Server Service installed)
-Tom

> As far as I know, there's no way for POP3 clients to change their
passwords.
> I posted a similar question several weeks ago.  The POP3 protocol doesn't
> allow this operation.

> > We have some Outlook clients that don't log into the domain when they
log
> > into Windows.  So, when they start up Outlook and log onto their
Exchange
> > mailbox, they are prompted for their user name, domain, and password.
On
> > some machines, the user name and domain name are cached, appearing every
> > time so that the user only has to enter their password.  However, on
other
> > computers the user has to enter the username, domain and password every
> > time.  How can we make sure the username and domain is saved on the
user's
> > PC?

> > Another question is how do we let these users change their password?
When
> > they try to do so from Outlook, the operation fails.  I know in OWA for
> > example, you can only change passwords if you use HTTPS, but why would
> these
> > users not be able to change their passwords after authenticating to the
> > domain?

> > Thanks,
> > Tom

save username-domain in Outlook client

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

It looks like Tom is using OL in MAPI mode.

> As far as I know, there's no way for POP3 clients to change their passwords.
> I posted a similar question several weeks ago.  The POP3 protocol doesn't
> allow this operation.

> > We have some Outlook clients that don't log into the domain when they log
> > into Windows.  So, when they start up Outlook and log onto their Exchange
> > mailbox, they are prompted for their user name, domain, and password.  On
> > some machines, the user name and domain name are cached, appearing every
> > time so that the user only has to enter their password.  However, on other
> > computers the user has to enter the username, domain and password every
> > time.  How can we make sure the username and domain is saved on the user's
> > PC?

> > Another question is how do we let these users change their password?  When
> > they try to do so from Outlook, the operation fails.  I know in OWA for
> > example, you can only change passwords if you use HTTPS, but why would
> these
> > users not be able to change their passwords after authenticating to the
> > domain?

> > Thanks,
> > Tom

group).

Kirill S. Palagin

save username-domain in Outlook client

Post by Chris Scharff [MVP » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>We have some Outlook clients that don't log into the domain when they log
>into Windows.  So, when they start up Outlook and log onto their Exchange
>mailbox, they are prompted for their user name, domain, and password.  On
>some machines, the user name and domain name are cached, appearing every
>time so that the user only has to enter their password.  However, on other
>computers the user has to enter the username, domain and password every
>time.  How can we make sure the username and domain is saved on the user's
>PC?

there's a technet article ... don't have the Q number handy. Try
searching for "outlook not populated"

Quote:>Another question is how do we let these users change their password?  When
>they try to do so from Outlook, the operation fails.  I know in OWA for
>example, you can only change passwords if you use HTTPS, but why would these
>users not be able to change their passwords after authenticating to the
>domain?

How would they normally change their network password? If they're
running NT, CTRL-ALT-DEL | Change Password works pretty well.

--
Chris Scharff
Senior Systems Consultant

save username-domain in Outlook client

Post by Tom Le » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Thanks, I'll check on the article.

These users are running either Win95 or Win98 and do not log into the domain
when they log onto their computer.  When they run Outlook and connect to the
Exchange server, they are prompted for a username, domain, and password.
Thus they can't change their password from within Windows itself, and must
change it through Outlook.  There is a provision to do this, but they get
errors and are not able to do so.

Tom

> >We have some Outlook clients that don't log into the domain when they log
> >into Windows.  So, when they start up Outlook and log onto their Exchange
> >mailbox, they are prompted for their user name, domain, and password.  On
> >some machines, the user name and domain name are cached, appearing every
> >time so that the user only has to enter their password.  However, on
other
> >computers the user has to enter the username, domain and password every
> >time.  How can we make sure the username and domain is saved on the
user's
> >PC?

> there's a technet article ... don't have the Q number handy. Try
> searching for "outlook not populated"

> >Another question is how do we let these users change their password?
When
> >they try to do so from Outlook, the operation fails.  I know in OWA for
> >example, you can only change passwords if you use HTTPS, but why would
these
> >users not be able to change their passwords after authenticating to the
> >domain?

> How would they normally change their network password? If they're
> running NT, CTRL-ALT-DEL | Change Password works pretty well.

> --
> Chris Scharff
> Senior Systems Consultant
> Simpler-Webb, Inc.
> http://www.swinc.com
> <ROT13 for SMTP address>

save username-domain in Outlook client

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>there's a technet article ... don't have the Q number handy. Try
>searching for "outlook not populated"

Q181003 "OL98: (CW) Password Dialog Box is Always Unpopulated at
Startup"
Q198438 "OL2000: (CW) Password Dialog Box Always Unpopulated at
Startup"

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

save username-domain in Outlook client

Post by Chris Scharff [MVP » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>These users are running either Win95 or Win98 and do not log into the domain
>when they log onto their computer.  When they run Outlook and connect to the
>Exchange server, they are prompted for a username, domain, and password.
>Thus they can't change their password from within Windows itself, and must
>change it through Outlook.  There is a provision to do this, but they get
>errors and are not able to do so.

Well, it works if you log into the domain.... yeah i know.. it's a
feature really. But in reality you really should have all of your
machines logging into the domain.[1] There are 3rd party tools which
allow people to change NT passwords via a web page (similar to OWA's
functionality) or you could write your own version.

[1] Had the debate many a time before, I still believe all machines on
a network should log into the domain.

--
Chris Scharff
Senior Systems Consultant

save username-domain in Outlook client

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>[1] Had the debate many a time before, I still believe all machines on
>a network should log into the domain.

Sure . . . just as soon as you can make MIS stop jerking around with
installing unwanted updates with SMS. Until then I'll steer clear,
especially when it's MY machine they think they own!

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

save username-domain in Outlook client

Post by wat.. » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Outlook 97 article:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q170/4/52.ASP?LNG=ENG&S
A=ALLKB
Outlook 98 article:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q181/0/03.ASP?LNG=ENG&S
A=ALLKB

Hope this is useful and the resolutions work.

Neil.

> > >We have some Outlook clients that don't log into the domain when
they log
> > >into Windows.  So, when they start up Outlook and log onto their
Exchange
> > >mailbox, they are prompted for their user name, domain, and
password.  On
> > >some machines, the user name and domain name are cached, appearing
every
> > >time so that the user only has to enter their password.  However,
on
> other
> > >computers the user has to enter the username, domain and password
every
> > >time.  How can we make sure the username and domain is saved on the
> user's
> > >PC?

> > there's a technet article ... don't have the Q number handy. Try
> > searching for "outlook not populated"

> > >Another question is how do we let these users change their
password?
> When
> > >they try to do so from Outlook, the operation fails.  I know in OWA
for
> > >example, you can only change passwords if you use HTTPS, but why
would
> these
> > >users not be able to change their passwords after authenticating to
the
> > >domain?

> > How would they normally change their network password? If they're
> > running NT, CTRL-ALT-DEL | Change Password works pretty well.

> > --
> > Chris Scharff
> > Senior Systems Consultant
> > Simpler-Webb, Inc.
> > http://www.swinc.com
> > <ROT13 for SMTP address>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Chris Scharff [MVP » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

have said:

>                                    [ snip ]

>>[1] Had the debate many a time before, I still believe all machines on
>>a network should log into the domain.

>Sure . . . just as soon as you can make MIS stop jerking around with
>installing unwanted updates with SMS. Until then I'll steer clear,
>especially when it's MY machine they think they own!

Well, I sympathize Rich, I too have seen what happens when you allow a
SSM to design SMS install packages. However, we'll both agree (I
think) that technically it's not your machine, and if the MIS
department at your place of ork wants to destroy your machine beyond
repair, technically that's their prerogative. I almost let MIS install
MDAC 2.1 on my workstation[1], but finally called the head cheese in
and pointed out what would fail if they proceeded.. I got an exemption
for a short while anyway.

[1] Which would have broken several very important tools I use under
MDAC 2.0

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>have said:

>>                                        [ snip ]

>>>[1] Had the debate many a time before, I still believe all machines on
>>>a network should log into the domain.

>>Sure . . . just as soon as you can make MIS stop jerking around with
>>installing unwanted updates with SMS. Until then I'll steer clear,
>>especially when it's MY machine they think they own!

>Well, I sympathize Rich, I too have seen what happens when you allow a
>SSM to design SMS install packages. However, we'll both agree (I
>think) that technically it's not your machine, and if the MIS
>department at your place of ork wants to destroy your machine beyond
>repair, technically that's their prerogative.

Well, I let them monkey around with a 9-year old Zenith PC running
Win95 connected to the LAN and logged in to the coprorte domain. I
keep my company-issue laptop away from them (it's the one I use for
"real" work). It never logs on to the domain.

Quote:>I almost let MIS install
>MDAC 2.1 on my workstation[1], but finally called the head cheese in
>and pointed out what would fail if they proceeded.. I got an exemption
>for a short while anyway.

I can't tell you the panic they caused by updating several dozen
developer's machines (unannounced) with O2K and a new version of MDAC
(2.1, I believe) when all the databases were in Access97 format!

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Outlook Not Saving Username & Domain Name

I've configured an Exchange profile to access an account with 'Password
Authentication' set to 'None', but frustratingly on two machines, running
Win98 the username and domain name is not saved. Which means the next time
that user wishes to connect to the Exchange server, they will have to enter
the username, domain name and their password. Does anyone know how I can fix
this annoying problem?

2. Two users

3. Upgrade from 5.5 trial to retail version

4. Outlook 2K remotely, save domain/username?

5. Exchange 5.5 Virtual Servers

6. Shutdown takes forever! Can I fix this?

7. Saving username and domain name at logon

8. Web Outlook Client doesn't save Attachments correctly (Saved as *.asp)