.dat files in MTADATA folder

Post by Karen Costl » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

We have over 2000 xxxxxxxx.dat files in our server's MTADATA folder.  I'm
trying to find out what they are for and how to reduce the number of them.
Some are from clear back in 1997.

.dat files in MTADATA folder

Post by William Lefkovic » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Don't worry about them.  They are for messages that have come and gone
through the MTA.  When messages successfully pass through the MTA the files
are put at 1K.  Exchange will reuse these files as new messages pass
through.  Alot of them may be cleaned up when the MTA is stopped and
restarted.

William Lefkovics, MCSE, A+

Quote:> We have over 2000 xxxxxxxx.dat files in our server's MTADATA folder.  I'm

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>We have over 2000 xxxxxxxx.dat files in our server's MTADATA folder.  I'm
>trying to find out what they are for and how to reduce the number of them.
>Some are from clear back in 1997.

Stop the MTA service (stop the IS service first if you're running 5.5
SP3 w/o the Post-SP3 hotfix). Then check the contents of the
directory. Is it different (are there fewer files)?

Before proceeding,
***  MAKE A COPY OF THE MTADATA DIRECTORY. ***
Do it NOW, before you go any further.

Run "MTACHECK /V /f <file>". Are there fewer files?

If you have only a single server in a single site, or if you're sure
that messages are moving smoothly between the servers in the site, or
between the sites, and there are no directory replication problems,
THEN run "MTACHECK /V /RD", "MTCHECK /V /RP" and "MTACHECK /V /RL" to
remove any directory replication messages, public folder replication
messages, and link monitor messages from the MTA. Now are things
looking better?

If not, then remove the *really* old DB*.DAT files that have names
that are ABOVE "DB000030.DAT" Do NOT remove files with names
"DB000001.DAT" through "DB00002F.DAT" (those are probably the ones you
see with date from 1997). These represent the various message queues
and database management files needed to run the MTA.

With the really old and (we hope) unnecessary files removed, run
"MTACHECK /V /f: <file>" again. If the database comes up clean you can
restart the MTA.

If the MTA won't restart you can put back the contents of the MTADATA
directory back from the copy you made before you started.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. 1 of the Dbxxxx.dat files in de exchsrv\mtadata folder keeps filling !!now 184MB

Hello, a Dbxxxxx.dat file keeps filling in it is now 184MB every 20 minutes
this keeps filling with 20MB ! does anybody know the cause of this ??

I don't see emails arriving at the client computers so i don't know if it is
a mail bomb or something?

regards
Vincent defour
data engineering

2. Newprof / modprof URGENT

3. mtadata dat files

4. OWA 25 items displayed by default

5. *.dat files in MTAData directory

6. Exchange application via VB.NET

7. Exchange MTADATA dat files increasing in size

8. Config a new domain name

9. mtadata *.dat files

10. Dat files in MTAdata directory

11. Multiple DAT files in MTAdata Directory

12. *.dat files in exchsrvr\mtadata\

13. MTA Service and Corrupt .dat files in MTADATA directory