Diskeeper on Exchange

Post by Joe Webe » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 02:22:51

My tech services people are telling me that they need to run Diskeeper (a defrag
program) on my exchange server (NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.5).  I realize that
Exchange defrags itself but they say this should also be done and they will run
it without shutting down any services.  Any comments on this?

Thanks

Diskeeper on Exchange

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 04:04:03

Any file-level defrag would not do Exchange much good at best.
So keep your tech service people of your Exchange Server machine. If they insist -
document your opinion in written, make sure that you have good backups and let them
do what they want.

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

Diskeeper on Exchange

Post by Glen Morangi » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:17:00

And I agree with the below.

(But I know there are people who think differently).

The Exchange disks that hold the Information Store databases should
hopefully not be holding anything else.  The characteristics of these
databases are not the same as those of a conventional file store.

For example, all the database pages are 4K in size - so you would tend to
optimise your disk subsystem for this size of transfer - whereas, if I
remember correctly, when transferring files, NT tends to preload up to seven
times the amount requested in anticipation that the rest of the file is also
going to be required...

(Thus you get resource contention if using an Exchange machine also for a
fileserver).

I also understand that the recommended size for transfer to / from the disk
holding the paging file is 64K.

One more point, and a question :

a) Exchange does its own internal defragmentation....
b) ... so does Diskkeeper, which is general purpose, claim to be able to do
it better ?

Does having a contiguous database on disk mean accessing these pages is any
more efficient ?

I think probably not - and you would get a *massive* performance hit during
defragmentation unless you did it offline (which means you have to stop your
Exchange Server, bye bye Service Level Agreements).

So tell the technical people to leave it alone (unless you really are using
your Exchange machine for lots of other things).  And they should know
better :-)  (but they probably all have MCSE after their name and who am I
but a thick administrator)

> Any file-level defrag would not do Exchange much good at best.
> So keep your tech service people of your Exchange Server machine. If they
insist -
> document your opinion in written, make sure that you have good backups and
let them
> do what they want.

> > My tech services people are telling me that they need to run Diskeeper
(a defrag
> > program) on my exchange server (NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.5).  I realize
that
> > Exchange defrags itself but they say this should also be done and they
will run
> > it without shutting down any services.  Any comments on this?

> > Thanks

> --
> Corrections are welcome.

> For "Good post" practice visit
> http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> Kirill.

1. Diskeeper and exchange 2000

my exchange 2000 volume is stating 99% fragmentation from
diskeeper 7.0, everybody mentions to just utilise
exchange utilities, i do this and defrag exchange with no
change in the reported fragmentaion level.

my question is does anybody know the correct way of
defragmenting a drive with exchange loaded.

this is my way of thinking
1. shut down exchange services
2. exclude exchange directory from diskeeper
3. defrag
4. start exchange

thanks in advance

2. connecting another subdomain

3. Diskeeper and Exchange

4. Using RAS to link sites in an organisation

5. Diskeeper on Exchange databases

6. Load Simulator 5.5

7. Anybody using Diskeeper with Exchange?

8. Question about Distribution Lists OL 98 /2000

9. Diskeeper on Exchange srvr

10. Diskeeper on exchange server databases...is it ok?

11. Diskeeper and Exchange Server

12. Diskeeper 4.0 on Exchange server?

13. Exchange and Diskeeper