Message Categorizer - How to pull messages from here - Messages stuck

Message Categorizer - How to pull messages from here - Messages stuck

Post by Splin » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 23:51:06

Hello,

Am running Exchange 2000, latest service packs etc etc

I have a distribution group, which had an associated mailbox. This list
had a member - which was removed from the group.

Mail was still being sent to the group, but couldnt be sent to any
members of the group as there were no members accosiated with it for a
short time.

Tracking the messages in exchange manager shows that the messages have
been subitted to message categorizer, and then stops there.

Is there any way that I can view the messages that have gone to the
categorizer to extract them out of there and forward them onto the
relevant people ?

The members are now back in the distribution group and are recieving mail
fine - and no - going to the people to ask them to resend the email is
not an option :)

Any help would be great

Thanks

Message Categorizer - How to pull messages from here - Messages stuck

Post by Neil Hobso » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 01:19:47

This is a known feature of Exchange.  If you have a group with no members in
it, mail sent to that group is simply black-holed.  It's often used to
silently delete spam mail sent to old SMTP addresses, etc.

--
Neil Hobson
Silversands

http://www.silversands.co.uk

Quote:> Hello,

> Am running Exchange 2000, latest service packs etc etc

> I have a distribution group, which had an associated mailbox. This list
> had a member - which was removed from the group.

> Mail was still being sent to the group, but couldnt be sent to any
> members of the group as there were no members accosiated with it for a
> short time.

> Tracking the messages in exchange manager shows that the messages have
> been subitted to message categorizer, and then stops there.

> Is there any way that I can view the messages that have gone to the
> categorizer to extract them out of there and forward them onto the
> relevant people ?

> The members are now back in the distribution group and are recieving mail
> fine - and no - going to the people to ask them to resend the email is
> not an option :)

> Any help would be great

> Thanks

Message Categorizer - How to pull messages from here - Messages stuck

Post by Splin » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:56:06

Dammit,

Ok thanks for your help

Hopefully there might be a nice tool in exchange 2003 called "click here
to view the contents of the message categorizer"

I am assuming that the mail just gets deleted, and not held up in the
information store.

> This is a known feature of Exchange.  If you have a group with no
> members in it, mail sent to that group is simply black-holed.  It's
> often used to silently delete spam mail sent to old SMTP addresses,
> etc.

> --
> Neil Hobson
> Silversands

> http://www.silversands.co.uk

>> Hello,

>> Am running Exchange 2000, latest service packs etc etc

>> I have a distribution group, which had an associated mailbox. This
>> list had a member - which was removed from the group.

>> Mail was still being sent to the group, but couldnt be sent to any
>> members of the group as there were no members accosiated with it for
>> a short time.

>> Tracking the messages in exchange manager shows that the messages
>> have been subitted to message categorizer, and then stops there.

>> Is there any way that I can view the messages that have gone to the
>> categorizer to extract them out of there and forward them onto the
>> relevant people ?

>> The members are now back in the distribution group and are recieving
>> mail fine - and no - going to the people to ask them to resend the
>> email is not an option :)

>> Any help would be great

>> Thanks

Message Categorizer - How to pull messages from here - Messages stuck

Post by Neil Hobso » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 18:22:39

Quote:> I am assuming that the mail just gets deleted, and not held up in the
> information store.

That's my understanding.

--
Neil Hobson