Recovering Deleted items

Post by Nick » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello

Is there any way to recover deleted emails?

I'm using exchange 5.5. I did not have the "Recover Deleted Items" switched
on and had circular logging enabled (the log files writes over itself to
stop it getting to big). I also have no back ups. The emails have been
deleted from the deleted items folder (i.e. "Permantely deleted"). (I've
know switched on/off all the relevant stuff to make sure i don't suffer this
again!)

I've tried using the exmerge utility but this only gets the "live" ones.

I know my situation looks pretty dire and I personally think that I'm
stuffed but some entries in newsgroups I've read seem to suggest there is a
way without ever going into detail. So does anybody know how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Recovering Deleted items

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hello

> Is there any way to recover deleted emails?

> I'm using exchange 5.5. I did not have the "Recover Deleted Items" switched
> on

Not good.

Quote:> and had circular logging enabled (the log files writes over itself to
> stop it getting to big).

Bad. This would not help you with deleted messages, but will greatly improve
your ability to recover from disaster.

Quote:> I also have no back ups.

VERY BAD.

Quote:> The emails have been
> deleted from the deleted items folder (i.e. "Permantely deleted"). (I've
> know switched on/off all the relevant stuff to make sure i don't suffer this
> again!)

> I've tried using the exmerge utility but this only gets the "live" ones.

That is correct.

Quote:

> I know my situation looks pretty dire and I personally think that I'm
> stuffed but some entries in newsgroups I've read seem to suggest there is a
> way without ever going into detail. So does anybody know how to do it?

Maybe you configured Message Journaling? or Message Archival at IMC?
If not - you learned this lesson.
Make backups.

Quote:

> Thanks in advance.

> Nick

group).

Kirill

Recovering Deleted items

Post by EJ KIN » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

I do not think that Circular loggings has got any thing to do
with deleted items.
I do realise your point of having your circular loggins on,
because you did not have a backup-otherwise your log disk would
get full and cause your info store to stop.

Since you have already enabled item recovery from
Configuration-servers-yourservername-private info store
properties-deleted item retention time(days, you will prevent
this from happenning in the future.
Remember to tick "Don't permanently delete items..." ONLY if you
have a back-up or lots of disk space otherwise your Info store
will fiil up.

I do not think that you will be able to recover the deleted
items unless you had a back-up or had enabled the item recovery

Recovering Deleted items

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

> I do not think that Circular loggings has got any thing to do
> with deleted items.
> I do realise your point of having your circular loggins on,
> because you did not have a backup-otherwise your log disk would
> get full and cause your info store to stop.

Regular ONline backup will prevent fill-up

Quote:

> Since you have already enabled item recovery from
> Configuration-servers-yourservername-private info store
> properties-deleted item retention time(days, you will prevent
> this from happenning in the future.
> Remember to tick "Don't permanently delete items..." ONLY if you
> have a back-up or lots of disk space otherwise your Info store
> will fiil up.

> I do not think that you will be able to recover the deleted
> items unless you had a back-up or had enabled the item recovery

group).

Kirill

Recovering Deleted items

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

Very sorry to say you are pretty much SOL.  To prevent this from happening
again.....  Make regular online full backups of your server.  Turn off
Circular logging.  Add a delete retention time of at least 7 days for both
your public and your private stores.

--
Michael Abbaticchio
CCNA

> Hello

> Is there any way to recover deleted emails?

> I'm using exchange 5.5. I did not have the "Recover Deleted Items"
switched
> on and had circular logging enabled (the log files writes over itself to
> stop it getting to big). I also have no back ups. The emails have been
> deleted from the deleted items folder (i.e. "Permantely deleted"). (I've
> know switched on/off all the relevant stuff to make sure i don't suffer
this
> again!)

> I've tried using the exmerge utility but this only gets the "live" ones.

> I know my situation looks pretty dire and I personally think that I'm
> stuffed but some entries in newsgroups I've read seem to suggest there is
> way without ever going into detail. So does anybody know how to do it?

> Thanks in advance.

> Nick

Recovering Deleted items

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

Circular logging will make a full recovery from your latest backup tape
impossible, unless the failure occurred before the first log file was
purged.  You are right, that it does not really apply in this case.
However, Full Online backups, which he should have been doing,  flush and
commit the log files.

Relying solely on the delete retention time, will do nothing to protect
anyone from a full mailbox deletion.  Also items that are hard deleted
(shift-delete), or deleted by a pop client do not pass the through the
"deleted items" folder, and are "by default" unrecoverable through Outlook
recover items function.

No experienced Exchange Admin runs a production server that is not backed up
on a regular basis.  Make no mistake..... Delete retention time is a merely
a convenience - not an insurance policy by any significant means.

--
Michael Abbaticchio
CCNA

Quote:> I do not think that Circular loggings has got any thing to do
> with deleted items.
> I do realise your point of having your circular loggins on,
> because you did not have a backup-otherwise your log disk would
> get full and cause your info store to stop.

> Since you have already enabled item recovery from
> Configuration-servers-yourservername-private info store
> properties-deleted item retention time(days, you will prevent
> this from happenning in the future.
> Remember to tick "Don't permanently delete items..." ONLY if you
> have a back-up or lots of disk space otherwise your Info store
> will fiil up.

> I do not think that you will be able to recover the deleted
> items unless you had a back-up or had enabled the item recovery

*

Recovering Deleted items

Post by Nick » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

Thanks everyone for your advice. Fortunately my job didn't depend on it. It
would have been nice to get them though. I will make proper backups etc from
now on.

Thanks again

Nick

1. Deleted messages, deleted item retention time, and recovering deleted items

I'm working with Exchange 5.5 and I need to track messages within Public
Folders that have been deleted/marked for deletion by a user, but have not
been purged by the Exchange server because the Exchange Admin has configured
the Public Folder(s) with a non-zero "Deleted item retention time".  I am
working with information associated with MAPI messages that is
kept/maintained outside of Exchange and I would like to maintain that
information when the message is "deleted" but still recoverable from a
general users standpoint using "Recover Deleted Items...".  That way when
the message is recovered,  the external information is still available.
Only when the message has really been deleted/purged will the external info
be purged as well.  With an Outlook extension, I have control over the
initial "delete" process, but I haven't seen any documentation that defines
any special MAPI properties a message has when it has been deleted (and not
purged) nor have I found any information on how Outlook is able to
find/display deleted messages within the "Recover Delete Items..." Tool
option.

Using a sample program, I can open a public folder, call QueryRows to get a
message (save off the message's ENTRYID) , call GetMessageStatus to obtain
its status and then call DeleteMessages to delete the message.  With the
"Deleted item retention time" set on the test folder, I can repeatably call
GetMessageStatus on that message passing in the saved message ENTRYID and
successfully access the message.  If I then go to an Outlook client, select
"Recover Deleted Items ..." under the Tools menu I can see the deleted test
message.  If I then "Purge" the deleted message, calls to GetMessageStatus
with the saved ENTRYID now fail.  This is fine as far as detecting when a
"deleted" message is purged, but it doesn't tell me if the message has been
recovered.

Ultimately, I would like to know a message has been marked for deletion by
the presence of one or more properties within the message.  There is a
property PR_MSG_STATUS that looks like it fits the bill, but its use is
defined by a client and is not maintained by the Exchange server itself.
Calling GetMessageStatus against a deleted message does not show that the
message is marked for deletion.  I can call SetMessageStatus to set status
bits and I can successfully retrieve them with GetMessageStatus, but after
all is said and done, Exchange just passes this info along unchanged.

Another possibilty is to somehow see/detect deleted items the same way as
the Outlook "Recover Deleted Items..." Tool does.  Given a public folder, it
is somehow able to show deleted items that are in the folder.

Hopefully, the presence of a property which tells me a message has been
deleted will also tell me by its absence that the message has been restored.
Similarly, if I can see/detect deleted messages within some special MAPI
deleted items cache/table then I can tell a message has been restored by the
fact that it isn't in the cache/table.

Thanks in advance,
Keith Ingalls

2. Utilitly needed to remotely stop Exchange services for offline backup

3. public folder Exchange5.5

4. Newbie Quest.:Customizing Outlook

5. Recover Deleted items not touching Deleted Items folder - Apply Everywhere

6. Converting HTTP to HTTPS in URL

7. Recovering Deleted Items when purged from Deleted Item Recovery

8. Deleted mail items are not available for recovery under Recover Deleted Items

9. Recover Deleted items not touching Deleted Items folder - Apply Everywhere

10. Recovering Deleted Items from Hard Delete

11. recover deleted items for user mailbox