mailbox size

Post by Fran » Sat, 06 Sep 2003 02:59:27

What is a good recommendation for Exchange 5.5 mailbox
size limits?  I want to give users enough space without
crossing any limits that Microsoft recommends...

Thanks!

mailbox size

Post by Isaac Carter [MSFT » Sat, 06 Sep 2003 03:41:30

Frank,

You will want to base that on the number of users you expect to have on the
server.

--
Isaac B. Carter MCSE
Microsoft Exchange Support

purposes only.

Quote:> What is a good recommendation for Exchange 5.5 mailbox
> size limits?  I want to give users enough space without
> crossing any limits that Microsoft recommends...

> Thanks!

mailbox size

Post by Fran » Sat, 06 Sep 2003 04:40:45

Isaac,
  I realize it is based on the number of users, but is
there a certain limit that Microsoft suggests Exchange 5.5
mailboxes should not cross.  How many MB?

-Frank

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Frank,

>You will want to base that on the number of users you

expect to have on the
Quote:>server.

>--
>Isaac B. Carter MCSE
>Microsoft Exchange Support

>Please do not send email directly to this alias. This

alias is for newsgroup
>purposes only.

confers no rights.

>> What is a good recommendation for Exchange 5.5 mailbox
>> size limits?  I want to give users enough space without
>> crossing any limits that Microsoft recommends...

>> Thanks!

>.

mailbox size

Post by Keith Troutma » Sat, 06 Sep 2003 04:46:00

We have set are limits to nobody can exceed 500MB, but we have over 300
users. You need how much harddrive space you have. You also need to remember
, log files for exchange Transactions can eat up alot of space. I have a
20GB Store and 60GB of space allocated for the Exchange Folder, due to Log
files, getting up to 10 GB before the Backup software runs.

> Isaac,
>   I realize it is based on the number of users, but is
> there a certain limit that Microsoft suggests Exchange 5.5
> mailboxes should not cross.  How many MB?

> -Frank

mailbox size

Post by Chris Knap » Sat, 06 Sep 2003 06:35:49

As far as I know, Exchange doesn't have a maximum mailbox size since they
are logical not physical. Theoretically, 1 mailbox can be gigabytes or more
in size. Completely unmanagable but possible. My more tenured users have
2GB+ mailboxes with no performance impact compared to my 78 MB mailbox. Of
course, they can't find anything in their inboxes but that's their problem.
. .

Quote:> What is a good recommendation for Exchange 5.5 mailbox
> size limits?  I want to give users enough space without
> crossing any limits that Microsoft recommends...

> Thanks!

mailbox size

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:50:20

> Isaac,
>   I realize it is based on the number of users, but is
> there a certain limit that Microsoft suggests Exchange 5.5
> mailboxes should not cross.

There are none.

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

mailbox size

Post by Isaac Carter [MSFT » Sat, 06 Sep 2003 23:53:49

Frank,

Chris is correct, there is a 2GB limit on PST files, in the event the you
would need to use Exmerge. It is also good to remember that even if you have
the Enterprise Edition you always want to keep at least half your disk free
for disaster recovery and maintenance. It is also good to consider restore
time. These may be helpful.

272234 XADM: Overview of Maintenance, Backup, and Disaster Recovery for
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=272234

143376 XADM: Storage Capacity Limits of Microsoft Exchange Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=143376

326239 XADM: White Paper - Exchange 2000 Capacity Planning & Topology
Calculator
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326239

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnw2...
--
Isaac B. Carter MCSE
Microsoft Exchange Support

purposes only.

> Isaac,
>   I realize it is based on the number of users, but is
> there a certain limit that Microsoft suggests Exchange 5.5
> mailboxes should not cross.  How many MB?

> -Frank

1. difference between Mailbox Size and Private Store Size - Exchange 5.5 SP4

Hi there,

I have a server running Exchange 5.5 SP4, which has recently started
hitting the 16Gb limit for exchange standard.

My query is this - If I export the Mailbox Resourses list, and add the
Total K column up, it only comes to 5.5gb - where has the extra 10Gb
gone?

I've tried offline defrags, they dont reduce the size very much.

isinteg -test alltests shows 0 errors
eseutil /g shows database consitent

Deleted Item retention is set to 0 days, and the ticky box for dont
delete till backup is unticked.

We are running Backup Exec doing a brick backup of both the whole
information store and the individual mailboxes - this completes
without errors. 10 days ago this was backing up the first 35 mailboxes
totalling 12Gb!, and giving errors saying unable to access the
remaining ones. This has now stopped and its backing up all 137
mailboxes (though nothing has changed permissions wise)

In the last week, the database size shot up by 2gb for no apparent
reason - the previous week it only grew by 30mb.

I think i've detailed all relevant info - if I've missed anything i'd
appreciate knowing! Its doing my head in.

Cheers

Ross Woodward - MCSE Win2k NT4 (not exchange though - yet)
NE Solutions Ltd

2. OWA Loading

3. max mailbox size, max pub folder size

4. Why can't Exchange get E-mail from my POP3-server?

5. message size and mailbox size?

6. CUSTOM OWA LOGON PAGE??

7. Exchange 5.5 Information store size/Mailbox size limits

8. backup MS Exchange 5.5

9. total mailbox size not eq to edb size

10. Mailbox sizes reported vs. backup size

11. edb Size versus Mailbox size=16gb difference??

12. Exporting Mailbox Resource (Mailbox Size)

13. Accurqacy of mailbox size for mailbox resources