Exchange Experts only! How does Profile UID get set?

Exchange Experts only! How does Profile UID get set?

Post by a » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

  I have a question about the Profile UID that exists in the following
branch of the registry:
\HKEY_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles\<<PROFILE NAME>>

  How does the profile UID get set and what does it do?  Does it have any
effect on letting someone open an OST file while off-line?

Exchange Experts only! How does Profile UID get set?

Post by Eric K. Voskui » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

The profile key is set by MAPI when the profile is created.  This, by
itself, has no affect on the ost file.

--
Eric K. Voskuil
Automated Profile Management, LLC

>  I have a question about the Profile UID that exists in the following
>branch of the registry:
>\HKEY_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
>Subsystem\Profiles\<<PROFILE NAME>>

>  How does the profile UID get set and what does it do?  Does it have any
>effect on letting someone open an OST file while off-line?

Exchange Experts only! How does Profile UID get set?

Post by a » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

So how does Outlook determine if you should be able to open an OST file
while off-line?

>The profile key is set by MAPI when the profile is created.  This, by
>itself, has no affect on the ost file.

>--
>Eric K. Voskuil
>Automated Profile Management, LLC
>http://www.autoprof.com

>>  I have a question about the Profile UID that exists in the following
>>branch of the registry:
>>\HKEY_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
>>Subsystem\Profiles\<<PROFILE NAME>>

>>  How does the profile UID get set and what does it do?  Does it have any
>>effect on letting someone open an OST file while off-line?

Exchange Experts only! How does Profile UID get set?

Post by David Rubi » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

This would be if you specified one in the Exchange Services properties
for your client.

Cheers,

David Rubino

>So how does Outlook determine if you should be able to open an OST file
>while off-line?

>>The profile key is set by MAPI when the profile is created.  This, by
>>itself, has no affect on the ost file.

>>--
>>Eric K. Voskuil
>>Automated Profile Management, LLC
>>http://www.autoprof.com

>>>  I have a question about the Profile UID that exists in the following
>>>branch of the registry:
>>>\HKEY_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
>>>Subsystem\Profiles\<<PROFILE NAME>>

>>>  How does the profile UID get set and what does it do?  Does it have any
>>>effect on letting someone open an OST file while off-line?

David Rubino

Exchange Experts only! How does Profile UID get set?

Post by John Gilham Jr » Sat, 11 Apr 1998 04:00:00

The UID is linked to the exchange mailbox on the server as a security
measure.  This prevents users from opening OST files that are not theirs.

I am not an Exchange expert!

John Gilham Jr.
TransNet Corporation
MCSE+I, CNA, ASE

>  I have a question about the Profile UID that exists in the following
>branch of the registry:
>\HKEY_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
>Subsystem\Profiles\<<PROFILE NAME>>

>  How does the profile UID get set and what does it do?  Does it have any
>effect on letting someone open an OST file while off-line?

Exchange Experts only! How does Profile UID get set?

Post by Amiri Jone » Sun, 12 Apr 1998 04:00:00

From what I can tell, there is no inherent security in an offline
file.  If a person can access the mail profile that is tied to the OST,
they can simply open Outlook and choose to Work Offline.

Exchange Experts only! How does Profile UID get set?

Post by Ralph Edward Chadi » Mon, 20 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Yes, it very much is connected with the UID, actually, the .PWL file.

This provides a small, but at least some, amount of securitty.
So, in the beginning, you create a set of offline folders in your laptop.
(Be careful, it defaults to the Windows folder).  The password list file
(.PWL) that was active when you created the .OST controls access to the
.OST.  So,  when you start windows, and get the login window, do not hit
<cancel-button>, do not hit <ESC>-Key.  You have to go through the login, so
that pwl file is active.  This may mean waiting for several network time
outs.