OWA: connecting to Exchange server from web by going through Proxy Server

OWA: connecting to Exchange server from web by going through Proxy Server

Post by Rob Skinne » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 08:32:57

I am experiencing the following problem:

I have an Exchange server which sets inside our Proxy server on our company
LAN.  The Exchange server listens for mail on port 25 of the proxy server
for the IMC to receive/send Internet Mail through the proxy server.  To
setup Outlook Web Access, I enabled publishing on the proxy server and added
an exception to forward all request on the web for
http://www.companyname.com/exchange to point to
http://mailservername/exchange as instructed on the Microsoft Support site
but when I go to http://www.companyname.com/exchange I get the "page cannot
be found" error in Internet Explorer.

I can connect to the mail server (exchange) on the internal LAN by typing
http://mailservername/exchange but not through the web.

I am using Exchange Server 5.5 sp3 and Proxy Server 2.0 (not sure on the
sp#) on a Windows NT 4.0 sp6 server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you,

Rob Skinner

OWA: connecting to Exchange server from web by going through Proxy Server

Post by Vitaly Frank » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 14:19:20

We are having similiar problems.  I ended setting up a DNS server on the
private IP side of the network.   If you do not host your own DNS, I can
offer no suggestion.

There is an MS KB article describing the proper way of setting a mail server
with proxy and firewall.  I can't remember off-hand the address or its name.

Vitaly

Quote:> I am experiencing the following problem:

> I have an Exchange server which sets inside our Proxy server on our
company
> LAN.  The Exchange server listens for mail on port 25 of the proxy server
> for the IMC to receive/send Internet Mail through the proxy server.  To
> setup Outlook Web Access, I enabled publishing on the proxy server and
added
> an exception to forward all request on the web for
> http://www.companyname.com/exchange to point to
> http://mailservername/exchange as instructed on the Microsoft Support site
> but when I go to http://www.companyname.com/exchange I get the "page
cannot
> be found" error in Internet Explorer.

> I can connect to the mail server (exchange) on the internal LAN by typing
> http://mailservername/exchange but not through the web.

> I am using Exchange Server 5.5 sp3 and Proxy Server 2.0 (not sure on the
> sp#) on a Windows NT 4.0 sp6 server.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thank-you,

> Rob Skinner

OWA: connecting to Exchange server from web by going through Proxy Server

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:52:02

You have to publish IIS, which provides OWA, with Proxy.
More info at
proxyfaq.networkgods.com

Apply all IIS fixes before you do that.

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

1. OWA: connecting to Exchange server from web by going through Proxy Server

[...]

2. File Attachments

3. OWA behind proxy server with Web Proxy

4. Mailbox Manager - multiple policies

5. Connecting Exchange Server to ISP through Proxy Server

6. Exchange/Outlook delivering messages all at once

7. Outlook Web Access on a Proxy Server - Exchange on a different server

8. easy way to pull calendar data into a web page?

9. Connecting to OWA behind a proxy server with a MAC

10. OWA with WEB PROXY SERVER

11. Connecting to an exchange server throught wingate 2.1 (or any proxy/FW)

12. Connecting different Organizations (Exchange Servers) thru Proxy

13. Connecting Exchange 5.5 - proxy(firewall) - sendMail (Unix) Server