Problem with offline address book

Post by Thanatopsi » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,
  I have a situation and would appreciate the thoughts from any experienced
exchange server users.  I recently added a exchange server to my site.  I
migrated my mailboxes to the server and set the OAB, and anything else I
could find relevant to have the new server as their homeserver.  When my
remote systems dialup using RAS they can connect, send and recieve email
perfectly.  However, if I goto syncronize/download offline address book
there is something interesting occuring.  The remote machine dials up  and
connects, but errors out saying some error occured... something about the
folders not being accessible or an error trying to access them.
  I am using a 5.5 exchange server and my remote clients are win95/exchange
4.0 client.  I've got tcp/ip and wins working just fine with my remote
clients and even got lmhost files.  I am using tcp/ip and netbeui.  If I
connect manually and try to do this I get the same error message.  At the
server location if I do this with a network client it works just fine
without errors.

  Any thoughts greatly appreciated....

Frustrated exchange server newbie,
James Gabel
Network Administrator
Glass Service Company

Problem with offline address book

Post by Chris Scharf » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

What happens if you dial-up/connect, open Exchange (online), and download
address book? I am assuming you've enabled support for previous clients on
the OAB you generated? (By default the OAB is configured to be used by
Outlook 8.03 or later)

Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator
BV Solutions Group

#include std_disclaim.h

>Hello all,
>  I have a situation and would appreciate the thoughts from any experienced
>exchange server users.  I recently added a exchange server to my site.  I
>migrated my mailboxes to the server and set the OAB, and anything else I
>could find relevant to have the new server as their homeserver.  When my
>remote systems dialup using RAS they can connect, send and recieve email
>perfectly.  However, if I goto syncronize/download offline address book
>there is something interesting occuring.  The remote machine dials up  and
>connects, but errors out saying some error occured... something about the
>folders not being accessible or an error trying to access them.
>  I am using a 5.5 exchange server and my remote clients are win95/exchange
>4.0 client.  I've got tcp/ip and wins working just fine with my remote
>clients and even got lmhost files.  I am using tcp/ip and netbeui.  If I
>connect manually and try to do this I get the same error message.  At the
>server location if I do this with a network client it works just fine
>without errors.

>  Any thoughts greatly appreciated....

>Frustrated exchange server newbie,
>James Gabel
>Network Administrator
>Glass Service Company

Problem with offline address book

Post by Step » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

How did you set the offline address book ?  Did you go through DS Site
configuration ?  If not...  Go to the Configuration Container, on the right,
double click the DS Site configuration Object.  Change to the Offline
Address Book Tab, and add in the GAL (if that's what you want remote users
to have), then click on the Generate All button.

Problem with offline address book

Post by Thanatopsi » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

WORKED PERFECTLY!!!  Apparently the morons who set up the orignal exchange
server didn't do this for the site.  Funny thing is they are a bunch of
software engineers (the one's who make our main retail software package) and
act like they are God's gift to computers.  Yet they've been *ing about
this one since I've been here (6months) and haven't once offered a good
piece of advice to fix this problem. Actually, though the checkbox for
exchange compatibility was unchecked too, so I don't know exactly what it
was.  Nevertheless you pointed me in the right direction...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

-James Gabel
Network Administrator
Glass Service Company

Quote:>How did you set the offline address book ?  Did you go through DS Site
>configuration ?  If not...  Go to the Configuration Container, on the
right,
>double click the DS Site configuration Object.  Change to the Offline
>Address Book Tab, and add in the GAL (if that's what you want remote users
>to have), then click on the Generate All button.

1. Problems with offline address book.

Hi all,

I have a network with multiple domains - each with its own Exchange
server.  These Exchnage servers are in sync with each other (Replication
partners is the correct term, I believe).  While online via Outlook 97
or 98 I can see the combined address book in the "Global Address List",
however, I only see my local server's address book while offline.  Has
anyone seen this before???  Does anyone know if its possible to download
both Exchange server's address list into the offline address book???

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Kienan Beveridge

2. WebDAV access to collection

3. Problem with Offline address book

4. Is upgrading using the exmerge going to loose single instance store ?

5. Problems downloading offline address book

6. Orphaned P/Folder

7. The problem of Offline Address Book

8. Good Exchange Server Resources

9. Problems With Offline Address Book

10. Problem with offline address book

11. Problem With Offline Address Book Creation On clients

12. Problems downloading offline address book

13. Problems with offline address book.