Exchange Backup Server

Post by Mike Kirkpatric » Wed, 14 May 2003 00:26:36

Ok here is my scenario,

Exchange Server 5.5 (not sure of the Service Pack at this point)
Two companies have merged
They are geographically distant
They have slower WAN connections between the offices
They intend to combine all of the servers into a single exchange server at
one of the sites.
They are going to ship the exchange server from Site A to Site B and do the
migration at Site B so the link speed will not be an issue

Now my job:
The folks at Site A want a duplicate of their exchange server before
shipping it away.
The server that is going to be the backup is nowhere near the same as the
original.

My plan:
Install OS with same SP levels but a different name
Install Exchange with same SP level, organization, site, service accounts,
etc.
Use Veritas Backup Exec to redirect a restore to this new server
Isolate the server and change the name to match that of the original server
Test

Is this a decent approach?

TIA

Exchange Backup Server

Post by Andy David [MVP » Wed, 14 May 2003 09:51:44

Is the goal to save only the information store? If so, then there is
no reason to isolate the server and change its name to match the
original. As Im guessing you already know, if the recovery server name
does not match the production, you can not restore the directory (
I.e. your DLs and Custom Recipients.)
If you want a true duplicate of the server before you ship it, you
need to build a recovery lab isolated from the production network with
a DC and recovery server that has the same name/site/org SP level etc.
as the production server.

On Mon, 12 May 2003 15:26:36 GMT, "Mike Kirkpatrick" <mwkirk(I don't

>Ok here is my scenario,

>Exchange Server 5.5 (not sure of the Service Pack at this point)
>Two companies have merged
>They are geographically distant
>They have slower WAN connections between the offices
>They intend to combine all of the servers into a single exchange server at
>one of the sites.
>They are going to ship the exchange server from Site A to Site B and do the
>migration at Site B so the link speed will not be an issue

>Now my job:
>The folks at Site A want a duplicate of their exchange server before
>shipping it away.
>The server that is going to be the backup is nowhere near the same as the
>original.

>My plan:
>Install OS with same SP levels but a different name
>Install Exchange with same SP level, organization, site, service accounts,
>etc.
>Use Veritas Backup Exec to redirect a restore to this new server
>Isolate the server and change the name to match that of the original server
>Test

>Is this a decent approach?

>TIA

Exchange Backup Server

Post by Mike Kirkpatric » Thu, 15 May 2003 21:57:08

yeah I know that so the idea was to build it the same except for name for
the Information Store restore.  Once it was restored I could isolate and
change the name.  The current Exchange server is a DC anyway so I was hoping
I would be able to authenticate via it once it was moved so an additional
domain controller would not be required.

Thanks
Mike

> Is the goal to save only the information store? If so, then there is
> no reason to isolate the server and change its name to match the
> original. As Im guessing you already know, if the recovery server name
> does not match the production, you can not restore the directory (
> I.e. your DLs and Custom Recipients.)
> If you want a true duplicate of the server before you ship it, you
> need to build a recovery lab isolated from the production network with
> a DC and recovery server that has the same name/site/org SP level etc.
> as the production server.

> On Mon, 12 May 2003 15:26:36 GMT, "Mike Kirkpatrick" <mwkirk(I don't

> >Ok here is my scenario,

> >Exchange Server 5.5 (not sure of the Service Pack at this point)
> >Two companies have merged
> >They are geographically distant
> >They have slower WAN connections between the offices
> >They intend to combine all of the servers into a single exchange server
at
> >one of the sites.
> >They are going to ship the exchange server from Site A to Site B and do
the
> >migration at Site B so the link speed will not be an issue

> >Now my job:
> >The folks at Site A want a duplicate of their exchange server before
> >shipping it away.
> >The server that is going to be the backup is nowhere near the same as the
> >original.

> >My plan:
> >Install OS with same SP levels but a different name
> >Install Exchange with same SP level, organization, site, service
accounts,
> >etc.
> >Use Veritas Backup Exec to redirect a restore to this new server
> >Isolate the server and change the name to match that of the original
server
> >Test

> >Is this a decent approach?

> >TIA

1. Exchange Backup Server ???!!!

Hi...

is there a way to setup a Exchange Backupserver wich we can use if our
first oneis down? All recipients are on the first Server.is there a way
to install a fallbacksystem where all user can use after a crash from
the first one! there shud be all identically

thanks  Andreas K.

2. Certificate Authority

3. Exchange Backup Server

4. Can't receive email

5. Exchange backup server questions?

6. URGENT!! How to write an installable client service

7. Exchange Backup Server

8. NTBACKUP commandline options

9. Exchange backup server

10. Exchange Backup Server

11. Secondary Exchange Backup Server - How

12. Exchange backup server

13. Exchange Backup Server