How to stop people to use our email server to route mails

How to stop people to use our email server to route mails

Post by Arlo Clizer [MVP » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 01:39:36

Quote:> Hi ,
>  I found out there still many outsiders use our exchange
> 5.5 server to route junk mails  even though I already set
> the restriction .
>   Is there any way can find where these mails from and
> block them ? I only can see those unknown mails from
> queues .
>    Thanks !!
>                      Henry

I would double check your setup. There is no way someone can be relaying
without your permission if you followed the steps outlined in this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q279860

There shouldn't be any need for you to do further steps to secure your
server.

Regards,

--
Arlo Clizer
Exchange MVP

How to stop people to use our email server to route mails

Post by Derric » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 01:39:16

What restrictions have you put into place? Are you using
any 3rd party software for POP3 mail etc...? What exactly
are you running OS, SP, etc...?
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi ,
> I found out there still many outsiders use our exchange
>5.5 server to route junk mails  even though I already set
>the restriction .
>  Is there any way can find where these mails from and
>block them ? I only can see those unknown mails from
>queues .
>   Thanks !!
>                     Henry
>.

How to stop people to use our email server to route mails

Post by Henr » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 02:26:40

Thanks for help
Our system is NT4 SP6
EXCHANGE 5.5 SP3
I already set "Hosts and clients that successfully
authenticate:"
But I still find relay problem .
I doubt those people hacked in our system and steal
username/password
Is there any possible this kind of thing happened ?
                 Henry

Quote:

>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
US;q279860

>There shouldn't be any need for you to do further steps
to secure your
>server.

>Regards,

>--
>Arlo Clizer
>Exchange MVP
>FAQ located at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
>.

How to stop people to use our email server to route mails

Post by Arlo Clizer [MVP » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 02:06:38

Quote:> Thanks for help
> Our system is NT4 SP6
> EXCHANGE 5.5 SP3
> I already set "Hosts and clients that successfully
> authenticate:"
> But I still find relay problem .
> I doubt those people hacked in our system and steal
> username/password
> Is there any possible this kind of thing happened ?

How do you know you are being used to relay? Have you run tests on your
server to determine if relaying is possible?

Regards,