RPC Binding order definition

Post by Dushan Bilbij » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

OK, here's a question: what is the best setting for the RPC binding order?
My network uses TCP/IP only, and therefore NetBIOS is bound to TCP/IP. So,
do I have localRPC first, TCP/IP or NetBIOS? I think if TCP/IP is first, the
client needs to use DNS to get to the server, whereas NetBIOS should take it
directly to the server. Does the client store the server name or IP address?
Also, if I'm only using one protocol to bind RPC, can I just delet the rest
from the list? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dushan Bilbija

RPC Binding order definition

Post by Greg Aske » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

you only need ncacn_ip_tp.  Use a HOSTS file if you don't have a
DNS server with the Exchange servers IP address defined.
--
Greg Askew
Business Information Technologies, Inc.

Post by Chris Walto » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>OK, here's a question: what is the best setting for the RPC binding order?
>My network uses TCP/IP only, and therefore NetBIOS is bound to TCP/IP. So,
>do I have localRPC first, TCP/IP or NetBIOS? I think if TCP/IP is first,
the
>client needs to use DNS to get to the server, whereas NetBIOS should take
it
>directly to the server. Does the client store the server name or IP
address?
>Also, if I'm only using one protocol to bind RPC, can I just delet the rest
>from the list? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>Dushan Bilbija

As far as binding orders go I usually balance two elements, the speed that
end point connection can be made, and the quantity of traffic passing
across. If you are using only TCP/IP I would go for an order of localRPC,
TCP/IP an then NetBios. (Do you use the MS Winns Server Acting in
conjunction with DNS, if so it won't make an awful lot of difference.)

Chris Walton

RPC Binding order definition

Post by Stephen Schrybur » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I keep getting the following warning message in my application event log
every 5 minutes:

Event ID: 7201
Source: MSExchangeIS

Background thread FDsWaitTask encountered a problem. Error code unknown.

OR

Background thread FDsWaitTask encountered a problem. Error code
DS_E_TOO_LATE.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this warning?

Thanks.
Stephen S.

1. RPC Binding order definition

OK, here's a question: what is the best setting for the RPC binding order?
My network uses TCP/IP only, and therefore NetBIOS is bound to TCP/IP. So,
do I have localRPC first, TCP/IP or NetBIOS? I think if TCP/IP is first, the
client needs to use DNS to get to the server, whereas NetBIOS should take it
directly to the server. Does the client store the server name or IP address?
Also, if I'm only using one protocol to bind RPC, can I just delet the rest
from the list? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dushan Bilbija

2. Check multiple mailboxes

3. no such user

4. Contact listing for company associates

5. try rpc binding order

6. Mail from Service, Round 5

7. SPX is slow on Windows 95, even after changing RPC binding order

8. Registry key for *server* RPC binding order

9. RPC Binding Order on Macintosh?

10. RPC Binding order for Exchange Login

11. Exchange still trying to use the TCP/IP Protocol after its removal from RPC Binding Order