Outlook time-outs to old server after importing with ExMerge

Outlook time-outs to old server after importing with ExMerge

Post by Ralph Hendrik » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 09:20:36

I am looking for the reason why Outlook shows me
the "Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft
Exchange Server ..." (See Q293650) message.

Our Exchange (2000 SP3) was recently hacked thru IIS
(yes, yes, I know...), and running low on resources
because of the worm... I ran exmerge and got all
mailboxes out. I chose to export all data and all
associated data.

After reloading the server, using a different name for
the server, a different organisation, and a different
site (You could say that nothing but the license is the
same as it was), I imported the mailboxes. Next thing:
When creating a folder in one of the imported mailboxes,
I got this time-out message (duh, the old server isn't
there anymore). It didn't matter at what level in the
mailbox-folders, or what type of folder. I deleted all
mailboxes, used SendAs/ReceiveAs priveleges to access
newly created (empty) mailboxes for each user, and
started copying the PST's manually. Problem: Copying the
content from one PST to a mailbox caused the same message
(Time-out to the old 'non-existing'-server). I noticed
this occured especially with Hotmail-messages and Spam,
but it also occured on some non-email items (calender,
tasks, etc...)
What I want to know is why outlook still wants to contact
the old server, and how I can fix this. Let me know if

Greetz and GoodLuck...

Outlook time-outs to old server after importing with ExMerge

Post by David Sengupta [MVP » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 05:23:24

Outlook uses MAPI profiles created locally on every client.  Unless the old
server is still up and in the Exchange org, it can't 'redirect' the client
to the 'new' server so the profiles have to be manually reconfigured on
every client PC.

--
David Sengupta  M.T.S., MVP, MCSE, MCSE 2000, CCA    Ottawa, Canada
Exchange FAQ - http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

> I am looking for the reason why Outlook shows me
> the "Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft
> Exchange Server ..." (See Q293650) message.

> Our Exchange (2000 SP3) was recently hacked thru IIS
> (yes, yes, I know...), and running low on resources
> because of the worm... I ran exmerge and got all
> mailboxes out. I chose to export all data and all
> associated data.

> After reloading the server, using a different name for
> the server, a different organisation, and a different
> site (You could say that nothing but the license is the
> same as it was), I imported the mailboxes. Next thing:
> When creating a folder in one of the imported mailboxes,
> I got this time-out message (duh, the old server isn't
> there anymore). It didn't matter at what level in the
> mailbox-folders, or what type of folder. I deleted all
> mailboxes, used SendAs/ReceiveAs priveleges to access
> newly created (empty) mailboxes for each user, and
> started copying the PST's manually. Problem: Copying the
> content from one PST to a mailbox caused the same message
> (Time-out to the old 'non-existing'-server). I noticed
> this occured especially with Hotmail-messages and Spam,
> but it also occured on some non-email items (calender,
> tasks, etc...)
> What I want to know is why outlook still wants to contact
> the old server, and how I can fix this. Let me know if

> Greetz and GoodLuck...

Outlook time-outs to old server after importing with ExMerge

Post by Ralph Hendrik » Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:29:39

Okay.. I get that.. But I'm not sure it the answer
here... This old server was our PDC, and hosted all
profiles for users. I copied those profiles, assigned the
correct rights (also in the registry hives) manually.
Next I went to every user to delete the 'Microsoft
Exchange Server'-service and replace it with a new one,
pointing to the mailbox on the new server... Shouldn't
the reference to the old server, as far as MAPI goes, be
removed when deleting the service from the profile? I did
actually recreate the entire MAPI-profile for a specific
user, but that user was a smalltime-user, without much
data.. So without much problems (Not a good testcase..)
It really looks like some messages refer to the old
server in some way... Can this be?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Outlook uses MAPI profiles created locally on every

client.  Unless the old
Quote:>server is still up and in the Exchange org, it

can't 'redirect' the client
>to the 'new' server so the profiles have to be manually
reconfigured on
>every client PC.

>--
>David Sengupta  M.T.S., MVP, MCSE, MCSE 2000, CCA
Ottawa, Canada
>Exchange FAQ - http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

>> I am looking for the reason why Outlook shows me
>> the "Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft
>> Exchange Server ..." (See Q293650) message.

>> Our Exchange (2000 SP3) was recently hacked thru IIS
>> (yes, yes, I know...), and running low on resources
>> because of the worm... I ran exmerge and got all
>> mailboxes out. I chose to export all data and all
>> associated data.

>> After reloading the server, using a different name for
>> the server, a different organisation, and a different
>> site (You could say that nothing but the license is the
>> same as it was), I imported the mailboxes. Next thing:
>> When creating a folder in one of the imported
mailboxes,
>> I got this time-out message (duh, the old server isn't
>> there anymore). It didn't matter at what level in the
>> mailbox-folders, or what type of folder. I deleted all
>> mailboxes, used SendAs/ReceiveAs priveleges to access
>> newly created (empty) mailboxes for each user, and
>> started copying the PST's manually. Problem: Copying
the
>> content from one PST to a mailbox caused the same
message
>> (Time-out to the old 'non-existing'-server). I noticed
>> this occured especially with Hotmail-messages and Spam,
>> but it also occured on some non-email items (calender,
>> tasks, etc...)
>> What I want to know is why outlook still wants to
contact
>> the old server, and how I can fix this. Let me know if

>> Greetz and GoodLuck...

>.

1. Outlook time-outs to old server after importing with ExMerge

[...]

2. Installing OWA from Exch. 5.5 upgrade CD

3. I need 4-5 books about Microsoft Exchange Server 2000.

4. Server time outs

5. OLEDB failed to Initialize. Event ID 9542

6. E2K SMTP Time outs like Exchange 5.5?

7. exporting dl mailbox names

8. OWA and time outs

9. Message Time outs

10. Dial up time-outs

11. OWA times-outs with XLS and DOC Attachments

12. BETA: Changing the default time-outs for OWA Cookie auth