Restrict Outlook access to Public Folder, allow only OWA access

Restrict Outlook access to Public Folder, allow only OWA access

Post by Zer » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 19:20:43



Hello,

Can I restrict access to public folder by clients using Outlook?

I want user to access the public folder by only using OWA where I have
my own custom WSS form as I have a workflow enabled for the public
folder, therefore the public should only accept the WSS form I
created.

I do not want to create an outlook custom form especially for Outlook
client.

Had anyone tried this restriction before, restricting client type?

 
 
 

Restrict Outlook access to Public Folder, allow only OWA access

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 22:47:13


You can probably do this by locking down access to the folders, to all, with
the exception of one mailbox.  This would be the mailbox, all your OWA users
would log into via OWA.

--
Michael Abbaticchio
Exchange Administrator
BHG

Quote:> Hello,

> Can I restrict access to public folder by clients using Outlook?

> I want user to access the public folder by only using OWA where I have
> my own custom WSS form as I have a workflow enabled for the public
> folder, therefore the public should only accept the WSS form I
> created.

> I do not want to create an outlook custom form especially for Outlook
> client.

> Had anyone tried this restriction before, restricting client type?


 
 
 

Restrict Outlook access to Public Folder, allow only OWA access

Post by Zer » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 18:18:44


I need every user to have their own ID when they post to that public
folder. Is there any method that can be use to detect what client type
the user is using to login to exchange?

> You can probably do this by locking down access to the folders, to all, with
> the exception of one mailbox.  This would be the mailbox, all your OWA users
> would log into via OWA.

> --
> Michael Abbaticchio
> Exchange Administrator
> BHG

 
 
 

Restrict Outlook access to Public Folder, allow only OWA access

Post by Kristofer Nurmi » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 18:44:03


You can just use Exchange Administrator program to check who is logged on to
the exchange server (both mail clients and Web Access). Just click open the
Private Information Store and click on Logons. The only problem is that you
just see the version number of the client, not the client used. We're not
using OWA at the moment and I can't verify, but the client version for OWA
users should something completely different. You can check this out by
opening your own mailbox through OWA and checking the client version.

--
Kristofer Nurmia
System Administrator
Malibu Telecom

One reason why I don't drink is because I wish to know when I am having a
good time.
---Nancy Astor


> I need every user to have their own ID when they post to that public
> folder. Is there any method that can be use to detect what client type
> the user is using to login to exchange?




Quote:> > You can probably do this by locking down access to the folders, to all,
with
> > the exception of one mailbox.  This would be the mailbox, all your OWA
users
> > would log into via OWA.

> > --
> > Michael Abbaticchio
> > Exchange Administrator
> > BHG

 
 
 

Restrict Outlook access to Public Folder, allow only OWA access

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 03:32:24


NNTP enabled the folder, and have your users use Outlook Express News Reader
instead of OWA.

--
Michael Abbaticchio
Exchange Administrator
BHG

> I need every user to have their own ID when they post to that public
> folder. Is there any method that can be use to detect what client type
> the user is using to login to exchange?




Quote:> > You can probably do this by locking down access to the folders, to all,
with
> > the exception of one mailbox.  This would be the mailbox, all your OWA
users
> > would log into via OWA.

> > --
> > Michael Abbaticchio
> > Exchange Administrator
> > BHG