Upgrading Hard Drives

Post by Bill Naul » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:13:13

I have a Dell server running 2000 and Exchange 5.5 server
it is the second Exchange server in our site. I have 2-18G
hard drives running Raid 1 making the D partion on which
reside the Exchange Databases. I am in need of upgrading
the drives, If I stop the Exchange services correctly, I
am figuring that I can just copy the data off the disk to
a area on the network change the hard drives re format
them and then copy the data back start the Exchange
services and all is well. Can somebody provide feedback if
they have done this process...

Upgrading Hard Drives

Post by Ed Crowley [MVP » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:25:09

That should work.  However, I recommend that you squeeze more drives in the
machine, make an additional mirror set, and use the Performance Optimizer to
move the databases.  Use the old drives for the IS and DS log files.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

Quote:> I have a Dell server running 2000 and Exchange 5.5 server
> it is the second Exchange server in our site. I have 2-18G
> hard drives running Raid 1 making the D partion on which
> reside the Exchange Databases. I am in need of upgrading
> the drives, If I stop the Exchange services correctly, I
> am figuring that I can just copy the data off the disk to
> a area on the network change the hard drives re format
> them and then copy the data back start the Exchange
> services and all is well. Can somebody provide feedback if
> they have done this process...

Upgrading Hard Drives

Post by ben » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 01:05:59

as long as the drive does not contain any system files,
you can do what you are thinking of doing. just be sure to
write down the directory structure so you can recreate it
exactly on the new drive. also, be sure to keep the drive
letter the same as before. if you change anything, you
need to tell exchange where the files are now located
through the exchange optimizer.

best of luck.
ben

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have a Dell server running 2000 and Exchange 5.5 server
>it is the second Exchange server in our site. I have 2-
18G
>hard drives running Raid 1 making the D partion on which
>reside the Exchange Databases. I am in need of upgrading
>the drives, If I stop the Exchange services correctly, I
>am figuring that I can just copy the data off the disk to
>a area on the network change the hard drives re format
>them and then copy the data back start the Exchange
>services and all is well. Can somebody provide feedback
if
>they have done this process...
>.

Upgrading Hard Drives

And better use XCOPY to copy permissions also.

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

Upgrading Hard Drives

Post by Bill Naul » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:59:14

I can't squeeze any more hard drives in as the server only
has three bays and the two bays make up the container with
the 2-18 gig hard drives. Yes I would rather use the
Performance Optimizer but I see this as my only painless
way.

Thanks

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>That should work.  However, I recommend that you squeeze
more drives in the
>machine, make an additional mirror set, and use the

Performance Optimizer to
>move the databases.  Use the old drives for the IS and DS
log files.
>--
>Ed Crowley
>MVP - Exchange
>Compaq Computer
>"Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"

>> I have a Dell server running 2000 and Exchange 5.5
server
>> it is the second Exchange server in our site. I have 2-
18G
>> hard drives running Raid 1 making the D partion on which
>> reside the Exchange Databases. I am in need of upgrading
>> the drives, If I stop the Exchange services correctly, I
>> am figuring that I can just copy the data off the disk
>> a area on the network change the hard drives re format
>> them and then copy the data back start the Exchange
>> services and all is well. Can somebody provide feedback
if
>> they have done this process...

>.

1. Upgrading Hard Drive

I have Exchange2000 running on W2K Advanced server.  I
need to upgrade the hard drives and have ordered 4 36GB
drives.  At present exchange is running on a 18GB single
drive which is mirrored by software only.

The plan so far is take the server down out of hours
replace the hard drives on a fresh installation then using
2 drives for the OS and 2 drives for data storage
mirrored, then back up the mailboxes from tape.

I would apreciate any comments from people having done
something similar before, any problems you may have come
across or any better ideas!

Thanks,

Dan

2. Email got stuck in IMS Outbound messages awaiting delivery

3. Upgrading hard drives

4. NT-Server/Zeitumstellung

5. Exchange Server hard drive upgrade

6. OWA in DMZ setup

7. Hard Drive Upgrade

8. How do I disable Sent Items from Service Pgm

9. Moving drive M to another new hard drive

10. Moving Exchange server from Primary (C) drive to secondary hard drive

11. constant hard drive activity

12. Exchange 2000 mysteriously filling up hard drive

13. Hard drive swap