Support in Exchange 2000 for forms created for 5.5 using the HTML Form Converter

Support in Exchange 2000 for forms created for 5.5 using the HTML Form Converter

Post by Pedr » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 10:34:55



We made a form in Outlook (Outlook Form, Outlook-2000 &
Exchange 5.5) and then we migrated it to the web using a
tool know as HTML Form Converter so now we are using the
migrated form for posting information trough (OWA) Outlook
Web Access.   BTW the form was modified to include some
validations.
At this moment we want to move to Exchange Server 2000 but
we need to migrate that application (the OWA-Custom Form).
The questions are:  
Is there any support in Exchange 2000 for forms created
for 5.5 using the HTML Form Converter, or we have to
completely rebuild the application form scratch using the
new technology?
In case there is some upgrade path what is it?  In case we
have to rebuild the application can we create forms using
the same technology the forms for OWA 2000 use and which
is this technology?
Thank you in advance.
Pedro
 
 
 

Support in Exchange 2000 for forms created for 5.5 using the HTML Form Converter

Post by Paul » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 04:31:55


Might I suggest a Web based Application running on a web server not
Exchange.
From what I was told, the OWA 5.5 forms will not convert to OWa 2000 forms.
You can design custom OWA 2000 forms but you can not open this form from
Outlook or vise versa.
Good luck.


Quote:> We made a form in Outlook (Outlook Form, Outlook-2000 &
> Exchange 5.5) and then we migrated it to the web using a
> tool know as HTML Form Converter so now we are using the
> migrated form for posting information trough (OWA) Outlook
> Web Access.   BTW the form was modified to include some
> validations.
> At this moment we want to move to Exchange Server 2000 but
> we need to migrate that application (the OWA-Custom Form).
> The questions are:
> Is there any support in Exchange 2000 for forms created
> for 5.5 using the HTML Form Converter, or we have to
> completely rebuild the application form scratch using the
> new technology?
> In case there is some upgrade path what is it?  In case we
> have to rebuild the application can we create forms using
> the same technology the forms for OWA 2000 use and which
> is this technology?
> Thank you in advance.
> Pedro


 
 
 

Support in Exchange 2000 for forms created for 5.5 using the HTML Form Converter

Post by Siegfried Weber [MVP » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 05:12:03



> Might I suggest a Web based Application running on a web server not
> Exchange.

Exchange 2000 offers perfectly integrated Web services ;-) You can do things
like discussion boards or event calendars without a single line of code.
Cool huh?

Quote:> From what I was told, the OWA 5.5 forms will not convert to OWa 2000

forms.

That's correct because of the completely revamed architecture of OWA 2000.

Quote:> You can design custom OWA 2000 forms

Correct.

Quote:> but you can not open this form from Outlook or vise versa.

Well, if you know how to you can actually open an Exchange 2000 Web form
from Outlook. Works here pretty well for about two years ;-)

--
<Cheers:Siegfried runat="server" />

Development Lead,

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) - Exchange Server

CDOLive LLC - The Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration Application Experts
http://www.cdolive.com

Please reply to the newsgroups so that others can benefit from the
discussion.
Questions by e-mail are discarded without further notice.

 
 
 

Support in Exchange 2000 for forms created for 5.5 using the HTML Form Converter

Post by Siegfried Weber [MVP » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 05:15:12



> We made a form in Outlook (Outlook Form, Outlook-2000 &
> Exchange 5.5) and then we migrated it to the web using a
> tool know as HTML Form Converter so now we are using the
> migrated form for posting information trough (OWA) Outlook
> Web Access.   BTW the form was modified to include some
> validations.
> At this moment we want to move to Exchange Server 2000 but
> we need to migrate that application (the OWA-Custom Form).

Sorry, but you can't. Due to the completely different architecture of
Exhcnge 2000 Server and OWA 2000 there is no way to take over those OWA 5.5
forms.

Quote:> Is there any support in Exchange 2000 for forms created
> for 5.5 using the HTML Form Converter

Unfortunately not.

Quote:> or we have to completely rebuild the application form scratch using the
> new technology?

Correct.

Quote:> In case we have to rebuild the application can we create forms using
> the same technology the forms for OWA 2000 use and which
> is this technology?

It was formerly called WSS Forms and is now just called Exchange 2000 Web
Forms. You can actually find a lot of information about it on MSDN and the
Exchange 2000 SDK: http://msdn.microsoft.com/exchange. There's also
somewhere a Frontpage WSS Forms add-in which gives you the ability to design
Exchange 2000 Web forms without writing a single line of code.

--
<Cheers:Siegfried runat="server" />

Development Lead,

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) - Exchange Server

CDOLive LLC - The Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration Application Experts
http://www.cdolive.com

Please reply to the newsgroups so that others can benefit from the
discussion.
Questions by e-mail are discarded without further notice.