Need help replacing old exchange server.

Need help replacing old exchange server.

Post by Joh » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:01:38

I hope somebody can help me.  i have an exchange server (2000) on my
network that runs fine.  the problem is, there's no fault tolerance on
the machine and it has a small hard drive.  instead of replacing the
server with a new server with the same name, i setup another exchange
server to join my existing server.  The new server now has raid 1 with
a larger hard drive.

My router points to the first exchange server i set up for my
organization.  i moved a few mailboxes as a test to the new server and
they were all able to receive emails because my first exchange server
routes it over.  what i want to do is bring all of the mailboxes over,
have my router (i'm using NAT) point to my new server, and take my old
server completely offline.  Here are the steps that i took:

1- i went into routing groups and made my new server the master.
2- in the recipient policy i had everything point to my new server.
3- after i did pointed it to my new server i clicked on rebuild and
update now.

Here's the problem:

I go into my router and i have the router point to my new server to
receive any emails.  when i do that, no emails come through.  i even
tried swapping ip addresses with the new and the old while leaving the
current router configuration.  nothing seems to help.  someone help
me!! your help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Need help replacing old exchange server.

Post by Ed Crowley [MVP » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 01:54:56

Open a telnet session:

telnet hostname 25
helo yourname.domain.com

data
This is a test.
.
quit

What happens after each step?  That might tell you something.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

Quote:> I hope somebody can help me.  i have an exchange server (2000) on my
> network that runs fine.  the problem is, there's no fault tolerance on
> the machine and it has a small hard drive.  instead of replacing the
> server with a new server with the same name, i setup another exchange
> server to join my existing server.  The new server now has raid 1 with
> a larger hard drive.

> My router points to the first exchange server i set up for my
> organization.  i moved a few mailboxes as a test to the new server and
> they were all able to receive emails because my first exchange server
> routes it over.  what i want to do is bring all of the mailboxes over,
> have my router (i'm using NAT) point to my new server, and take my old
> server completely offline.  Here are the steps that i took:

> 1- i went into routing groups and made my new server the master.
> 2- in the recipient policy i had everything point to my new server.
> 3- after i did pointed it to my new server i clicked on rebuild and
> update now.

> Here's the problem:

> I go into my router and i have the router point to my new server to
> receive any emails.  when i do that, no emails come through.  i even
> tried swapping ip addresses with the new and the old while leaving the
> current router configuration.  nothing seems to help.  someone help
> me!! your help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Need help replacing old exchange server.

Post by Joh » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 05:59:38

It's THE ED CROWLEY! everybody seems to love your method in moving
exchange over-all the posts point me to your site.  thanks for
responding to my post by the way..

well, i tried everything you said for my current server and the new
server.  both of them were able to send the test email..  the new
server now has all of the email accounts on the new machine. i thought
the next step would be to point the ip address at the new server so
that it would be the one responsible for receiving email.. i opened
the ports on my router for the new server and no email would come
through... i put it back to the old server and i receive emails.. the
exchange setup ran smoothly for the new server and i have no problems
that i can find on the event viewer... is there a step that i'm
missing or can you see where i'm going wrong?

thanks again for your response..  i hope you have an answer for me..

> Open a telnet session:

> telnet hostname 25
> helo yourname.domain.com

> data
> This is a test.
> .
> quit

> What happens after each step?  That might tell you something.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
> Compaq Computer

> > I hope somebody can help me.  i have an exchange server (2000) on my
> > network that runs fine.  the problem is, there's no fault tolerance on
> > the machine and it has a small hard drive.  instead of replacing the
> > server with a new server with the same name, i setup another exchange
> > server to join my existing server.  The new server now has raid 1 with
> > a larger hard drive.

> > My router points to the first exchange server i set up for my
> > organization.  i moved a few mailboxes as a test to the new server and
> > they were all able to receive emails because my first exchange server
> > routes it over.  what i want to do is bring all of the mailboxes over,
> > have my router (i'm using NAT) point to my new server, and take my old
> > server completely offline.  Here are the steps that i took:

> > 1- i went into routing groups and made my new server the master.
> > 2- in the recipient policy i had everything point to my new server.
> > 3- after i did pointed it to my new server i clicked on rebuild and
> > update now.

> > Here's the problem:

> > I go into my router and i have the router point to my new server to
> > receive any emails.  when i do that, no emails come through.  i even
> > tried swapping ip addresses with the new and the old while leaving the
> > current router configuration.  nothing seems to help.  someone help
> > me!! your help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Need help replacing old exchange server.

Post by Ed Crowley [MVP » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 09:50:47

After you make the switch, try the telnet commands from the Internet.  It's
exactly the same thing that is done when an SMTP server talks to your
Exchange server.  Look at the banner to be sure that the right server is
answering.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 10:49:43

>It's THE ED CROWLEY! everybody seems to love your method in moving
>exchange over-all the posts point me to your site.  thanks for
>responding to my post by the way..

>well, i tried everything you said for my current server and the new
>server.  both of them were able to send the test email..  the new
>server now has all of the email accounts on the new machine. i thought
>the next step would be to point the ip address at the new server so
>that it would be the one responsible for receiving email.. i opened
>the ports on my router for the new server and no email would come
>through... i put it back to the old server and i receive emails.. the
>exchange setup ran smoothly for the new server and i have no problems
>that i can find on the event viewer... is there a step that i'm
>missing or can you see where i'm going wrong?

If both servers accept connections on port 25 from your LAN, but the
second server is incapable if being contacted from the "other" side of
your router, then I've got to believe it's your router that's the
problem.

Can you, from the keyboard of the new server, use telnet to connect to
any other SMTP servers on the 'net?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Need help replacing old exchange server.

Post by Joh » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 05:42:08

i did exactly what you said while i was on the internal network and it
worked fine.  However, when i'm on the internet, out of the network,
it would not let me telnet into port 25 although i left this port
open.  so in either case, i was not able to check any of the servers
to see if there was any problem from the outside.

do i have to setup a smtp connector of some sort?

> After you make the switch, try the telnet commands from the Internet.  It's
> exactly the same thing that is done when an SMTP server talks to your
> Exchange server.  Look at the banner to be sure that the right server is
> answering.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
> Compaq Computer

> > It's THE ED CROWLEY! everybody seems to love your method in moving
> > exchange over-all the posts point me to your site.  thanks for
> > responding to my post by the way..

> > well, i tried everything you said for my current server and the new
> > server.  both of them were able to send the test email..  the new
> > server now has all of the email accounts on the new machine. i thought
> > the next step would be to point the ip address at the new server so
> > that it would be the one responsible for receiving email.. i opened
> > the ports on my router for the new server and no email would come
> > through... i put it back to the old server and i receive emails.. the
> > exchange setup ran smoothly for the new server and i have no problems
> > that i can find on the event viewer... is there a step that i'm
> > missing or can you see where i'm going wrong?

> > thanks again for your response..  i hope you have an answer for me..

> > > Open a telnet session:

> > > telnet hostname 25
> > > helo yourname.domain.com

> > > data
> > > This is a test.
> > > .
> > > quit

> > > What happens after each step?  That might tell you something.
> > > --
> > > Ed Crowley
> > > MVP - Exchange
> > > Compaq Computer
> > > "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"

Need help replacing old exchange server.

Post by Joh » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 06:03:22

Actually, i don't know if i left an important step out.  does it
matter if i haven't moved the system attendant's mailbox over to the
new server?

Post by Joh » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:14:07

> >It's THE ED CROWLEY! everybody seems to love your method in moving
> >exchange over-all the posts point me to your site.  thanks for
> >responding to my post by the way..

> >well, i tried everything you said for my current server and the new
> >server.  both of them were able to send the test email..  the new
> >server now has all of the email accounts on the new machine. i thought
> >the next step would be to point the ip address at the new server so
> >that it would be the one responsible for receiving email.. i opened
> >the ports on my router for the new server and no email would come
> >through... i put it back to the old server and i receive emails.. the
> >exchange setup ran smoothly for the new server and i have no problems
> >that i can find on the event viewer... is there a step that i'm
> >missing or can you see where i'm going wrong?

> If both servers accept connections on port 25 from your LAN, but the
> second server is incapable if being contacted from the "other" side of
> your router, then I've got to believe it's your router that's the
> problem.

> Can you, from the keyboard of the new server, use telnet to connect to
> any other SMTP servers on the 'net?

Thanks Rich, for answering.. actually, there is a problem when i try
to telnet (externally from the network) into the new server.  i don't
have any problems with the old server, however.  To answer your
question about the telneting from the new machine to another server on
the net, the answer is yes.

if there are no other steps for me to do on the exchange side, to
receive emails, and all there is left to do is to have my router point
to the new server, i will start focusing more on my router.  thanks
again, i really appreciate your response.  if you come up with any
other ideas, i'm all ears.

Need help replacing old exchange server.

Post by Joh » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 07:16:14

Rich and Ed,

Thanks for all the help.. i just had to let it sit for a bit and the
emails are flowing through like water.. thanks again!

> > >It's THE ED CROWLEY! everybody seems to love your method in moving
> > >exchange over-all the posts point me to your site.  thanks for
> > >responding to my post by the way..

> > >well, i tried everything you said for my current server and the new
> > >server.  both of them were able to send the test email..  the new
> > >server now has all of the email accounts on the new machine. i thought
> > >the next step would be to point the ip address at the new server so
> > >that it would be the one responsible for receiving email.. i opened
> > >the ports on my router for the new server and no email would come
> > >through... i put it back to the old server and i receive emails.. the
> > >exchange setup ran smoothly for the new server and i have no problems
> > >that i can find on the event viewer... is there a step that i'm
> > >missing or can you see where i'm going wrong?

> > If both servers accept connections on port 25 from your LAN, but the
> > second server is incapable if being contacted from the "other" side of
> > your router, then I've got to believe it's your router that's the
> > problem.

> > Can you, from the keyboard of the new server, use telnet to connect to
> > any other SMTP servers on the 'net?

> Thanks Rich, for answering.. actually, there is a problem when i try
> to telnet (externally from the network) into the new server.  i don't
> have any problems with the old server, however.  To answer your
> question about the telneting from the new machine to another server on
> the net, the answer is yes.

> if there are no other steps for me to do on the exchange side, to
> receive emails, and all there is left to do is to have my router point
> to the new server, i will start focusing more on my router.  thanks
> again, i really appreciate your response.  if you come up with any
> other ideas, i'm all ears.

1. Replacing Old Exchange Servers With New Exchange Servers

We are currently in the process of swapping our old Exchange hardware and
putting in new servers. We make a backup of our Priv.EDB and Pub.EDB
nightly. What is the best course of action for putting in new Servers? One
suggestion is to install NT Server and Exchange on the new boxes and restore
the Priv.Edb, Pub.EDB and the Registry from the old machines. We also want
to keep the existing names.  Is this recommended? Are there any concerns or
issues I should consider first before I begin this task? I would appreciate
anyone's advice on how to go about this project. I would also greatly
appreciate any other approaches to this task.

2. Recipients Container

3. Replacing old Exchange Server with a New Server

4. Distribution List: Display Name max 25 characters on client ?

5. Replacing Exchange 2000 Server with faster machine - need help

6. Offline Calendar

7. Replacing Exchange Server - Need Help

8. store.exe @ 100% when deleting multiple emails

9. Need Help Moving Mailboxes from Old Server to New Server

10. Replacing our Old exchange 2000 Server

11. Replace old exchange server to new one

12. Replace old exchange-server

13. Replacing old exchange 5.5 server