Migration Suggestions please advise!

Post by Pau » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 05:27:41

I recently joined a small IT department and noticed the Exchange
Server seems to suffer from poor performance.  In investigating, the
server is a PII running NT 4.0 SP6a and runs MX 5.0 Standard.  I have
secured a new P4 server and would like to keep down time to a minimum.
 I have it formatted and ready to go with NT 4.0 SP6a but ran to a
snag when trying to add MX 5.5 Enterprise to the site.  I know that
the necessary connectors are not part of 5.0 standard so that makes
things a little more difficult.

I have a few thoughts on this:

a) Upgrade the existing 5.0 server to 5.5 Enterprise and then setup
the new server as 5.5 and join the site and start moving mailboxes
over (over if I could just copy the entire database over)
b) Install 5.5 on the new server and try to install the server
connector from the 5.5 CD on the 5.0 server and then have the new
server join the site.

I haven't seen to many bad things involving the 5.0 to 5.5 upgrade.  I
did read something about a rollback.

thanks in advance

1. ADC for NT to W2K Migration - Please Advise

Hi All,

We are planning our NT to W2K migration and come across Active Directory
Connector but not sure what is it really for.  We have 2 Exchange 5.5
Servers and will have to migrate those servers to the W2K domain.  Do we
need to have ADC installed on the Exchange Server?  Someone please kindly
advise, thanks.

Best Regards,
YT

2. what is the use of :- Schedule+ Free Busy Information

3. Advise on migration

4. HELP! Relay hole open in Exchange causing spamming

5. please help using advise sink

6. Site connector deletion

7. Please advise on new ISP

8. secure email options

9. 2 Exchange servers 2 Sites - Please advise

10. Could someone please advise..

11. Please can someone off me some advise on permissions with public folders

12. PLEASE ADVISE: Migrating from Exchange 2000 to 2003

13. Please advise on Public folders consolidation