Exchange MTADATA dat files increasing in size

Exchange MTADATA dat files increasing in size

Post by Brett McLea » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi guys,
this is my first time i have used this service, so i hope it works fine.
My problem is that i have about 60 *.dat files from the \exchsrvr\mtadata
directory that constantly keep growing in size, and i dont know why (100 - 800Mb).
I have run mtacheck and is states the database is fine.
However because i am running out of disk space, i occasionally remove some of the
larger files so that exchange will keep running.
Can anyone explain what is happening, and what i should do to fix
this situation ?
thanks for your time and any help is very much appreciated
Brett

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>Hi guys,
>this is my first time i have used this service, so i hope it works fine.
>My problem is that i have about 60 *.dat files from the \exchsrvr\mtadata
>directory that constantly keep growing in size, and i dont know why (100 - 800Mb).
>I have run mtacheck and is states the database is fine.
>However because i am running out of disk space, i occasionally remove some of the
>larger files so that exchange will keep running.
>Can anyone explain what is happening, and what i should do to fix
>this situation ?
>thanks for your time and any help is very much appreciated

Check the "Queues" tab on the MTA for that server and see where those
messages are supposed to be going! Removing them isn't the thing you
want to be doing!

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. MTADATA is increasing dbxxxxxx.dat

Exchange 5.5 sp4 (Alpha) NT4 sp6a

My Exchange\MTADATA is increasing with files dbxxxxxx.dat
and I do not know what to do to clean these files

I have files since November 1995 db000001.dat .... to now
(db00005.dat still in use)
There are 65 thousands files

Please what can I do ? may I remove these files ?
Is there an utility to execute ?

2. Exchange services won't start

3. mtadata dat files

4. OWA Question

5. .dat files in MTADATA folder

6. Exchange Server Registry

7. *.dat files in MTAData directory

8. Exchange System Manger slow to launch

9. mtadata *.dat files

10. Dat files in MTAdata directory

11. Multiple DAT files in MTAdata Directory

12. *.dat files in exchsrvr\mtadata\

13. MTA Service and Corrupt .dat files in MTADATA directory