Exchange Server hard drive upgrade

Post by Brian Swanso » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 05:59:46

We would like to install a larger hard drive on our
exchange server and move all of our mailboxes to this
hard drive. We currently have a 9gb drive and would like
to go to a 40gb drive. I know this is somewhat simple but
I cannot find the instructions any where on microsoft to
do this.

Exchange Server hard drive upgrade

Post by Arlo Clizer [MVP » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 06:39:42

Quote:> We would like to install a larger hard drive on our
> exchange server and move all of our mailboxes to this
> hard drive. We currently have a 9gb drive and would like
> to go to a 40gb drive. I know this is somewhat simple but
> I cannot find the instructions any where on microsoft to
> do this.

This is how I'd do it:

1. Do a full backup of the information store (online is fine)
2. Take the server down and install the new drive
3. Partition and format the new drive (ntfs of course)
4. Use the exchange peformance optimizer to move the files

Regards,

--
Arlo Clizer
Exchange MVP

1. Moving Exchange server from Primary (C) drive to secondary hard drive

Hi there,

I have a problem with my exchange server (v 5.5). The
server is quite old now and only has 2GB hard drive (which
has winnt files exchange server and our fax program
running off it). When the drive drops under 10MB of space
the MTA fails. So far I have kept things rolling by
regularly deleting archives, logs and temp files.

I have added a larger hard drive to run exchange server
and other programs. Can you tell me how I go about moving
the exchange server from one drive to another?

Many thanks

Russell

2. slow system - 'store.exe'

3. Upgrading Hard Drive

4. MDaemon and Exchange

5. Upgrading Hard Drives

6. Importing from GroupWise 5.2

7. Hard Drive Upgrade

8. Disappearing Appointments - bit of a worry

9. Upgrading hard drives

10. Exchange 2000 server mysteriously filling up hard drive

11. PLEASE HELP !Exchange 2000 server is mysteriously filling up hard drive

12. Exchange 2000 Server mysteriously filling up hard drive...

13. Exchange server 5.5 filling up hard drive