1. Reverse lookup preventing outgoing internet mail??
A slight problem. (please forgive if i seem to have already answered my own
question, but i am checking to make sure as this bloody company still hasn't
sent me on an Exchange admin course, so i am having to pick it up as i go
Exchange 5.5 SP4 running on NT4 SP6a all fully patched. Mail domain of
All mail to any domains associated with freeserve go nowhere, they just sit
in the message queue for a couple of days and then give an admin message of
"host unreachable" from my server, this has only been happening for a couple
This happens with any of the domains that run off of the mail server
I can ping mail-in.pol.net.uk and it resolves to the correct IP, i can
telnet to port 25 of said server and get a response (from anywhere on our
network and from the mail server itself) yet no mail will ever go there.
In my system log (i turned on smtp logging) i get
"A new TCP/IP SMTP connection has been made to host 18.104.22.168 (for
elkingtons.freeserve.co.uk). Logfile: <none> "
followed by a "An attempt to connect to host elkingtons.freeserve.co.uk
which seems to be as much help as a chocolate teapot.
I have phoned the ISP responsible for the mailserver (freeserve) and they
have told me "this happens with exchange 5.5 since we upgraded Exim" (exim
being the MTA they use). They told me to change the transfer method from
DNS to SMTP, but couldn't tell me any more as they "do not support exchange
or any networking". (but after digging deeper i don't think i have to
change anything on exchange)
Now, MS knowledge base article 198981 seems to be my exact problem.
If i try a reverse lookup for the address of my mailserver i get nothing at
all, so i assume this is the problem.
What do i need to ask my ISP for (it helps with our ISP to tell them what to
do, as if i ask them what i need i won't get a response for about 3
2. Distribution List
3. prevent outgoing internet mail
4. Exchange Questions
5. How to reject a special domain user send mail
6. 3 quarter of Exchange Server almost setup... left one more to go, very puzzling...
7. User Is not recieving incoming mail but can send outgoing mail
8. Outlook Web access
9. Special gift Re: Valentine's day special offer - FREE Jewelry
10. Preventing some users from sending external mail.
11. Preventing users to delete mail
12. prevent user from sending external mail
13. Preventing certain users from sending Internet mail