Migrating Public Folders

Post by Bruce » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 04:08:18

Hello,

I am in the middle of amalgamating two networks
(different domains).  In both domains, the server is a
2000 server with an Exchange 5.5 sp 4 server.

The old domain has an exchange server with a public
folder that I need into the new domain.

The new domain has basic account information setup, but
little data.  I have exmerged the users folders into pst
files that I will import into the new server.

The new servers public folders are of no consequence to
me.  There is nothing on there that I would like to
retain.  What is the easiest way of getting the public
folders from the old domain into the new ?

Cheers

Migrating Public Folders

Post by TCC » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 06:03:45

there are all kinds of third party applications that can help with this,
depending on the complexity of the folder structure.

You can check out Bindview:
http://www.bindview.com/products/Admin/exchange.cfm
or NetIQ
http://www.netiq.com/products/migrate/default.asp

It could be as simple as exporting the Public Folder to a .pst file then
importing back into the new PFs.

You could also move the server into the new domain:
Post SP4 Move Server Wizard (many possible side effects*)

The Org & Site names may be changed with the move Server wizard included in
Exchange Server 5.5 SP 4. This utility allows the Exchange admin to perform
the following tasks:

I. Move an Exchange Server between existing sites and organizations.

II. Move an Exchange Server to create a new site or organization.

III. Move an Exchange Server to a new site in an existing organization.

IV. Merge existing Exchange Server sites and organizations.

see also:

http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq_appxa.htm

All depends on your budget, your schedule and the complexity of the folder
tree.
--
TCC
MCSE

*Obligatory Disclaimer*
The information provided above is provided AS IS the author makes no
warranty, expressed or implied, for the accuracy of this information. This
information is based on personal testing and experience and may not apply to
your specific issue or problem. Please conduct your own thorough testing of
any proposed solutions to ensure compatibly and proper resolution of your
issue. All quoted or referenced information belonging to other third parties
is also provided AS IS and remains wholly owned by it's authors and owners.

Quote:> Hello,

> I am in the middle of amalgamating two networks
> (different domains).  In both domains, the server is a
> 2000 server with an Exchange 5.5 sp 4 server.

> The old domain has an exchange server with a public
> folder that I need into the new domain.

> The new domain has basic account information setup, but
> little data.  I have exmerged the users folders into pst
> files that I will import into the new server.

> The new servers public folders are of no consequence to
> me.  There is nothing on there that I would like to
> retain.  What is the easiest way of getting the public
> folders from the old domain into the new ?

> Cheers

1. Mail Proxy Issues on migrated public folders

Hi, there.

Anyone knows why?

In a mixed Exchange 5.5 and 2000 envionment, the public
folder hierarchy is successfully replicated vis ADC & SRS.
However, most public folders' properties can not be opened
entirely. Every time when I try to open a public folder
properties in Exch2k System Manager, a pop-up error
message says something like "Mail Proxy of this public
folder can not be found, therefore, not all properties
will shown...".

According to a KB article, this may be because public
folders are not mail stampped when they got replicated.
But, I am able to see their proxyAddresses via ADSIEdit
tool.

Any tips???

Thanks a lot.

2. How do I open a MIM file?

3. Migrating Public Folders from Exchange 5.5 to E2K With different Site Name

4. Error when attaching files in OWA

5. Attachments not flowing via IMS

6. Migrating public folders from ex5.5 to ex2k

7. Public folders and events

8. Mail Proxy Issues on migrated Public Folders

9. Migrating Public Folder

10. Migrating Public Folders from 5.5

11. Migrating public folder

12. Migrating public folders from ex5.5 to ex2k