mtadata *.dat files

Post by Nancy Steven » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Exchange 5.5 sp2 - in the mtadata directory I have many *.dat files - some
are over 2 years old - what are they and are they necessary?  Are there any
white papers that tell you what all those dat files (in all directories)
represent and which should stay and which should not?

Thanks in advance

Nancy Stevens

mtadata *.dat files

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/support/c.asp?FR=0
and search for
mta .dat
against full text

--
Questions will not be answered via e-mail.

mtadata *.dat files

Post by Nancy Steven » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Thanks - I had found that info earlier and it says what they are but not
whether they can be deleted - any harm in removing some from 2 years ago - I
have over 3,000 of them!

>Exchange 5.5 sp2 - in the mtadata directory I have many *.dat files - some
>are over 2 years old - what are they and are they necessary?  Are there any
>white papers that tell you what all those dat files (in all directories)
>represent and which should stay and which should not?

>Thanks in advance

>Nancy Stevens

mtadata *.dat files

Post by Rich Matheise » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Thanks - I had found that info earlier and it says what they are but not
>whether they can be deleted - any harm in removing some from 2 years ago - I
>have over 3,000 of them!

Stop the MTA and run MTACHECK.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

mtadata *.dat files

Post by Nancy Steven » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi Rich - that was my next step - I just had wondered if I could manually
delete the files -
Thanks!

>Exchange 5.5 sp2 - in the mtadata directory I have many *.dat files - some
>are over 2 years old - what are they and are they necessary?  Are there any
>white papers that tell you what all those dat files (in all directories)
>represent and which should stay and which should not?

>Thanks in advance

>Nancy Stevens

mtadata *.dat files

Post by Rich Matheise » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Hi Rich - that was my next step - I just had wondered if I could manually
>delete the files -

Try the MTACHECK first. Removing files from the MTADATA directory is
not something for the faint of heart.

If the MTACHECK doesn't remove those files, and you're not
risk-adverse, you can MOVE them to another directory (don't delete 'em
yet) and rerun MTACHECK. A really safe approach to the problem would
be to COPY the entire MTADATA directory to another directory before
you begin. If you remove the wrong file and MTACHECK objects you can
simply copy the whole directory back and start over.

If the files you want to remove are abandoned files from some previous
attempt at recovering a damaged MTA database (by copying the files
from the bootenv directory on the server CD, for instance, or from the
mtadata directory on the server CD) then the MTACHECK won't notice
they're missing and will report the database as clean.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

1. mtadata dat files

Exchange 5.5 sp3 - on one of my servers, the mtadata directory continually
fills up with *.dat files - depleting my disk space.  A reboot of the server
creates a mtacheck which removes these dat files.  My question is - why are
these being generated in the first place?  I now have over 19,000 of them at
1 byte and more generating.   Is there someplace I can check to see why this
is happening - I have no errors in the event log to even give me a hint.
Any help - greatly appreciated.

TIA

Nancy Stevens

2. justified text in Outlook2000 HTML messages

3. Exchange MTADATA dat files increasing in size

4. Database cleanup

5. mtadata *.dat files

6. SMTP Relay blocking PROBLEMS !

7. .dat files in MTADATA folder

8. Hiding attributes from other sites

9. *.dat files in MTAData directory

10. Dat files in MTAdata directory

11. Multiple DAT files in MTAdata Directory

12. *.dat files in exchsrvr\mtadata\

13. MTA Service and Corrupt .dat files in MTADATA directory