Restricted inbound SMTP mail to Exchange 5.5 mailing lists

Restricted inbound SMTP mail to Exchange 5.5 mailing lists

Post by Brian J. Patterso » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 10:39:55



Hello, all

On my Exchange Server 5.5, I need to enable inbound SMTP e-
mail, but ONLY from certain KNOWN e-mail addresses!  
Simply not giving out the SMTP address to undesired
mailers is NOT enough!  Is this possible?  If so, how?  
Thanks in advance.  Please also reply via e-mail, remove
my opinion of unsolicited bulk e-mail from the address
above.

Brian J. Patterson.

 
 
 

Restricted inbound SMTP mail to Exchange 5.5 mailing lists

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 11:07:33



Quote:>On my Exchange Server 5.5, I need to enable inbound SMTP e-
>mail, but ONLY from certain KNOWN e-mail addresses!  
>Simply not giving out the SMTP address to undesired
>mailers is NOT enough!  Is this possible?  If so, how?  
>Thanks in advance.  Please also reply via e-mail, remove
>my opinion of unsolicited bulk e-mail from the address
>above.

I don;t think you can do that with Exchange 5.5 unless you use a
customized routing DLL like IMCEXT.DLL.

It's possible with Exchange 2000 and some inexpensive third-party
software.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

 
 
 

Restricted inbound SMTP mail to Exchange 5.5 mailing lists

Post by Brian J. Patterso » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 00:29:25


Thanks for the quick reply.  To clarify, this is inbound
SMTP to MAILING LISTS.  I wasn't so clear in the body of
my first post.  As for the third party add-ons for
Exchange 5.5, which ones would you recommend?  For the
routing dll, what language is it written in, and is the
source available?

Thanks.

Brian J. Patterson.

>-----Original Message-----


>>On my Exchange Server 5.5, I need to enable inbound SMTP
e-
>>mail, but ONLY from certain KNOWN e-mail addresses!  
>>Simply not giving out the SMTP address to undesired
>>mailers is NOT enough!  Is this possible?  If so, how?  
>>Thanks in advance.  Please also reply via e-mail, remove
>>my opinion of unsolicited bulk e-mail from the address
>>above.

>I don;t think you can do that with Exchange 5.5 unless
you use a
>customized routing DLL like IMCEXT.DLL.

>It's possible with Exchange 2000 and some inexpensive
third-party
>software.

>--
>Rich Matheisen
>MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>MS Exchange FAQ at

http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

- Show quoted text -

Quote:>.

 
 
 

Restricted inbound SMTP mail to Exchange 5.5 mailing lists

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 10:15:36



Quote:>Thanks for the quick reply.  To clarify, this is inbound
>SMTP to MAILING LISTS.  

It really doesn't make any difference. Inbound is inbound, not matter
what the target address is.

Quote:>I wasn't so clear in the body of
>my first post.  As for the third party add-ons for
>Exchange 5.5, which ones would you recommend?  

I couldn't say. I don't really think there are any that work (well) on
the same machine as the IMS (at least not without juggling the port
numbers). You'd do better with running another server that manages
just the SMTP part of the transactions.

Quote:>For the
>routing dll, what language is it written in,

I believe it's written in C.

Quote:>and is the
>source available?

It's on the Exchange 5.5 Resource Kit.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

 
 
 

1. Restricting InBound mail for SMTP Recipients in Internet Mail Connector

I'm having an Internet Mail connector on Exchange Server 5.5
IMC is configured for selective recipients for outbound mails.

But, this configuration is not restricting any inbound mails for
recipients. I want to restrict that also.
When i checked in Microsoft Knowledge base, i found an article ( Q154542
 ) which states that this by design of Exchange server 4.0

I need help regarding this.

I want to restrict inbound mails through Internet mail connector for
selective recipients.

Vijaya Sankar.K

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Offline Restore

3. how to restrict SMTP inbound mail !!

4. Exchange or Firewall problem ?

5. Rejecting inbound SMTP mail from SPECIFIED email domains (exch 5.5)

6. I Am Going NUTS with Receiving Internet Mail

7. Mail Enabled Public Folder - Inbound SMTP Mail from other domains shows as Post

8. stopping IMS from relaying spam

9. Restricting Inbound Mail

10. Restricting Inbound Internet Mail

11. Restricting inbound mail per user

12. Restrict attachments on Inbound Internet Mail?

13. Restrict Inbound Mail