How to configure local DNS to relay mails to external DNS if local delivery fails

How to configure local DNS to relay mails to external DNS if local delivery fails

Post by Gopakumar Panick » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 00:20:58

I got an SBS 2000 With POP3 connector for mail download and DNS direct
delivery for mail delivery to internet. The parameters are:

Local domain name             : asd.com  ip : 192.168.0.1
Registered Internet domain    : asd.com  ip : 202.71.120.157

I mean to say both remote domain name and local domain name is same.
Now, some of our employees are working outside of the city and they
use web based facility from the POP3 mail box provider's web site to
check mail.

Now all the internal users are configured to recieve email from the
external POP3 mail boxes thruogh the SBS POP3 connector.

THE PROBLEM:

When I try to send mail to an employee who is not a part of the local
network, i am getting the 'Undeliverable message' because whenever i

local domain but since a local mail box is not available for that
user, the mail is returning back.

192.168.0.1 and since it resolve the domain name locally with local
dns, the message delivery will fail and the message is returned back.

The possible solutions that i see is:

1. All undeliverable messages should be forwarded to external DNS - ??
How to do it ???????? OR

Can anyone offer any solution for this problem, I asked many but
nothing as yet.

Regards,

Gopakumar

1. How to send mail to local Mail Server behind firewall with DNS and NAT

I have Exchange 5.5 and share a firewall with my partnering company who has
the own domain name and mail server.
When I attempt to send mail to their domain I receive a host unreachable.
The firewall doesn't allow us out and back in, it knows the address is
local.  We are using NAT and that is the problem.
Does anyone know how to tell ES to forward mail sent to domainX.com to an ip
address 10.10.3.xxx?

Thanks for any info.

2. FAX: AUTO ANSWER TURNS OFF AFTER IT RECIEVES ONE CALL - HELP

3. Relay mail from a local linux box fails

4. chat server

5. Local DNS for Exchange

6. False Mailbox Size error

7. DNS does not forward and does not SOA the local domain

8. Reply/Forward Note formatting for SMTP messages

9. Local DNS

10. local dns caching

11. DNS does not forward and does not SOA the local domain

12. Exchange, Internal DNS and External DNS

13. Internal DNS,External DNS and OWA