replace exchange server - public folders problem

replace exchange server - public folders problem

Post by Bob McHug » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

We brought a new server into an existing site, with the intention of moving
all private and public data to the new server and retiring the old server.
All has gone well with moving mailboxes, replicating public folders, etc.,
but even though I've followed the steps in Q152959 (How to remove the First
Exchange server in a site), when a disconnect the old server from the
network, most users can't access public folders.  To the best of my
knowledge, all folders are rehomed on the new server.  I hesitate to
completely remove the old server from the site until I can successfully
unplug the old one from the network and have clients access public folders.

replace exchange server - public folders problem

Post by Douglas Buchanan [MVP » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

On the General tab of the Private Information Store container of the new
server, is the new server set as the Public Folder Server?

> We brought a new server into an existing site, with the intention of
moving
> all private and public data to the new server and retiring the old server.
> All has gone well with moving mailboxes, replicating public folders, etc.,
> but even though I've followed the steps in Q152959 (How to remove the
First
> Exchange server in a site), when a disconnect the old server from the
> network, most users can't access public folders.  To the best of my
> knowledge, all folders are rehomed on the new server.  I hesitate to
> completely remove the old server from the site until I can successfully
> unplug the old one from the network and have clients access public
folders.

replace exchange server - public folders problem

Post by Bob McHug » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

As a matter of fact, no it wasn't.......hope it was this simple.   Thanks.

> On the General tab of the Private Information Store container of the new
> server, is the new server set as the Public Folder Server?

> > We brought a new server into an existing site, with the intention of
> moving
> > all private and public data to the new server and retiring the old
server.
> > All has gone well with moving mailboxes, replicating public folders,
etc.,
> > but even though I've followed the steps in Q152959 (How to remove the
> First
> > Exchange server in a site), when a disconnect the old server from the
> > network, most users can't access public folders.  To the best of my
> > knowledge, all folders are rehomed on the new server.  I hesitate to
> > completely remove the old server from the site until I can successfully
> > unplug the old one from the network and have clients access public
> folders.

1. Replaced First Server in Site, cannot see Public Folders

Hi -

Exchange 5.5, SP4, running on Windows 2000 Server SP3

I replaced the first server in a site with a new server.... followed all of
the steps in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q152959

Also replicated and rehomed Free/Busy, OAB, Event, etc...

When you turn off the original first server, users (whose mailboxes are now
on the new server) cannot even open up the top level Public Folders tree,
they get "Unable to update public free/busy data. The Microsoft Exchange
Server computer is not available."

Can anyone tell me what I may have missed here?

Thanks

2. free/busy data not available for some users

3. deleting and replacing a public folder

4. OWA

5. Replacing an Exchange server and getting SQL problems

6. Exchange missing PSTPRX.DLL

7. Replace GAL with public folders

8. Mailbox Migration

9. Strange issue with replacing documents in Public Folders

10. Replacing Old Exchange Servers With New Exchange Servers

11. replace exchange 5.5 server with exchange 2000 server

12. Problem with Exchange Server 2000 Public Folders and Outlook 2000 Synchronization

13. Public Folders problem when rehoming to another Exchange 5.5 server