changing x400 address in Site Addressing...

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>What will be the effect to inbound/outbound messages, internal or external
>(internet), of changing the x400 address in the Site Addressing property ?

Probably the complete failure to route messages between sites.

Why do you want to do this?

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--
Regards,
/dieter

changing x400 address in Site Addressing...

Post by Diete » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>>What will be the effect to inbound/outbound messages, internal or external
>>(internet), of changing the x400 address in the Site Addressing property ?

>Probably the complete failure to route messages between sites.

>Why do you want to do this?

Our organization name has been changed, and I want to also change the old names
in the x400 address of all mailboxes.
--
Regards,
/dieter

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> <snip>

> Our organization name has been changed, and I want to also change the old names
> in the x400 address of all mailboxes.

Joe-average-user has no need and use for x.400 addresses. You do not need to change
them.

Quote:

> --
> Regards,
> /dieter

group).

Kirill

changing x400 address in Site Addressing...

Post by Chris Scharf » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 12:57:48 +0700, "Dieter"

>>>What will be the effect to inbound/outbound messages, internal or external
>>>(internet), of changing the x400 address in the Site Addressing property ?

>>Probably the complete failure to route messages between sites.

>>Why do you want to do this?

>Our organization name has been changed, and I want to also change the old names
>in the x400 address of all mailboxes.

In real life, not Exchange I take it. Possibly display name of the org
has been changed? Actually changing the org name for your server
involves basically deleting & recreating everything using exmerge.

--
Chris Scharff
Exchange MVP

Exchange FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>>>What will be the effect to inbound/outbound messages, internal or external
>>>(internet), of changing the x400 address in the Site Addressing property ?

>>Probably the complete failure to route messages between sites.

>>Why do you want to do this?

>Our organization name has been changed, and I want to also change the old names
>in the x400 address of all mailboxes.

"Organization" as in the Exchange organization's Directory name? Or
"organization" as in the name of your company?

If you're not exchanging mail with another X.400 e-mail system then
the X.400 addresses are really of no consequence to you (although
they're extremely important to the correct operation of Exchange).

If it's only a cosmetic change that you seek, then change the "Display
Name" of the organiation object.

If you really must alter the name of the Exchange organization then
you have two choices. The first is to reinstall. The second is to use
the Move Server Wizard.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

changing x400 address in Site Addressing...

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>My company name has been changed, and I don't exchange mail to other x400 email
>system.

Then there's no need to change the X.400 address at all.

Quote:>No, I don't intend to change the name of the Exchange organization, I prefer to
>change only the "display name".

Then go ahead and chenge it. Just make a note that you've done that.
It's a common mistake to think that the display name is the real name
of the organization.

Quote:>It's just a display name right?  Any change to
>it will not alter any other Exchange registry settings?

That's correct. It changes only the name you see in the Exchange admin
program's view of the hierarchy.

Quote:>Also, it's just the "p" and/or "o" values in the x400 address that I want to
>change via Site Addressing properties, is it not recommended?

No, it's not. You'll have problems if you do that.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

changing x400 address in Site Addressing...

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>Actually, what kind of problems, can you give me some explanations?
>Because, in that "p"  -  "o" properties, there's the old company name, and I
>also want to change it to new name.

Addressing problems. The PRMD of the name of the Exchange
organization. The Organization is the Exchange site name.

As for what values they contain, it makes no difference to you. If you
named your organization "Ralph" and your company name was "Ajax
Widgets" it wouldn't make one bit of difference. However, if you
CHANGE "Ralph" to "Ajax Widgets" you'll have problem with inter-site
directroy replication and message flow.

Quote:>The smtp address (domain name) has been changed, actually I added the secondary
>proxy email address to store the old smtp address and change the smtp address
>via Site Addressing.

SMTP addresses aren't used in the same fashion as the X.400 addresses.

You seem to have your mind made up that you're going to change these
values no matter what advice you're given. So take this last piece of
advice: use the Move Server Wizard to change the name of the Exchange
organization. As with all free advice, it's worth exactly what you
paid for it.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Post by Diete » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 12:57:48 +0700, "Dieter"

>>>Probably the complete failure to route messages between sites.

>>>Why do you want to do this?

>>Our organization name has been changed, and I want to also change the old
names
>>in the x400 address of all mailboxes.

>In real life, not Exchange I take it. Possibly display name of the org
>has been changed? Actually changing the org name for your server
>involves basically deleting & recreating everything using exmerge.

You got it all wrong, I do not want to change the Organization Name in Exchange
Server.
I only want to change the "P" and/or "O" values in the x400 address by changing
it from Site Addressing.
What will be the impact ?   Also if I change the Organization's display name,
it's just a display name right?
It will not alter any other Exchange registry settings?

--
Regards,
/dieter

changing x400 address in Site Addressing...

Post by Diete » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>"Organization" as in the Exchange organization's Directory name? Or
>"organization" as in the name of your company?

>If you're not exchanging mail with another X.400 e-mail system then
>the X.400 addresses are really of no consequence to you (although
>they're extremely important to the correct operation of Exchange).

>If it's only a cosmetic change that you seek, then change the "Display
>Name" of the organiation object.

>If you really must alter the name of the Exchange organization then
>you have two choices. The first is to reinstall. The second is to use
>the Move Server Wizard.

My company name has been changed, and I don't exchange mail to other x400 email
system.
No, I don't intend to change the name of the Exchange organization, I prefer to
change only the "display name".  It's just a display name right?  Any change to
it will not alter any other Exchange registry settings?

Also, it's just the "p" and/or "o" values in the x400 address that I want to
change via Site Addressing properties, is it not recommended?

--
Regards,
/dieter

changing x400 address in Site Addressing...

Post by Diete » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>> <snip>

>> Our organization name has been changed, and I want to also change the old
names
>> in the x400 address of all mailboxes.

>Joe-average-user has no need and use for x.400 addresses. You do not need to
change
>them.

Well, let's say that I need to change the "p" and/or the "o" value of the x.400
address.
Will it give an undesirable effect to overall Exchange messaging system?

--
Regards,
/dieter

changing x400 address in Site Addressing...

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>Well, let's say that I need to change the "p" and/or the "o" value of the x.400
>address.
>Will it give an undesirable effect to overall Exchange messaging system?

Yes.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

changing x400 address in Site Addressing...

Post by Diete » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>>Also, it's just the "p" and/or "o" values in the x400 address that I want to
>>change via Site Addressing properties, is it not recommended?

>No, it's not. You'll have problems if you do that.

Actually, what kind of problems, can you give me some explanations?
Because, in that "p"  -  "o" properties, there's the old company name, and I
also want to change it to new name.
The smtp address (domain name) has been changed, actually I added the secondary
proxy email address to store the old smtp address and change the smtp address
via Site Addressing.

--
Regards,
/dieter

changing x400 address in Site Addressing...

Post by Diete » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> [ snip ]

>>Well, let's say that I need to change the "p" and/or the "o" value of the
x.400
>>address.
>>Will it give an undesirable effect to overall Exchange messaging system?

>Yes.

Well, we're back to my first question of this thread.  :p
What will be the result if I change the "p" and/or "o" value of the x.400
address in the Site Addressing option?

--
Regards,
/dieter

changing x400 address in Site Addressing...

Post by Vsevolod Ostapenk » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

In fact, changing of X.400 address wont have any effect at all if you do not
have any X.400 connectors in your organization.
I did it at least  three times with Exchange 4.0 & 5.0 and I do not think
that there's any difference in 5.5.
If all your sites are connected by Site Connectors, nothing will be affected
by X.400 address change.
If you have sites connected by X.400 Connectors, you will have to change
Connector properties on both sides of a Connector.

Quote:> What will be the effect to inbound/outbound messages, internal or external