Firewall Ports

Post by Stev » Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:51:59

I am getting ready to launch my Exchange 2003 publically
for the first time.  Which ports to I need to have open
on my firewall to ensure proper authenitcation.

I will be running smtp, pop, imap and http;  Just
wondered if there was something I need to ensure proper
domain authentication?

Firewall Ports

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Thu, 16 Oct 2003 02:24:13

SMTP=25
POP=110
IMAP=<looks around nervously>
HTTP=80. But I'd recommend using 443 and SSL instead.

> I am getting ready to launch my Exchange 2003 publically
> for the first time.  Which ports to I need to have open
> on my firewall to ensure proper authenitcation.

> I will be running smtp, pop, imap and http;  Just
> wondered if there was something I need to ensure proper
> domain authentication?

Firewall Ports

Post by Thomas Christman » Thu, 16 Oct 2003 03:44:47

Quote:> IMAP=<looks around nervously>

IMAP Port is 143 for unencrypted and 993 for encrypted communication.

Quote:>> I am getting ready to launch my Exchange 2003 publically
>> for the first time.  Which ports to I need to have open
>> on my firewall to ensure proper authenitcation.

I didn't see MAPI on your list, but just to make sure you know, with
Exchange 2003 (and Windows 2003 on all Exchange servers and DCs involves
in the communication) you can proxy MAPI calls over Ports 80 or 443, just
like in OWA. The feature's called RPC/HTTP and requires the client to
have at least Windows XP SP1 and Outlook 2003 installed. We have it
deployed for a couple of users, and I must say it works surprisingly good
(and even fast).

HTH,

Thomas

Firewall Ports

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:15:04

>> IMAP=<looks around nervously>

> IMAP Port is 143 for unencrypted and 993 for encrypted communication.

I knew that and was just testing you. You knew that, of course. ;-)

1. firewall ports to open for IMAP4 to Exchange 5.5

I know I saw a thread on this while looking through archives, but can't find
anything on it now.

Could someone please point me to a document that lists the ports to open?

Much appreciated!

Dean

2. ok!

3. firewall ports to open for outlook

4. Exchange 5.0 Relaying problems

5. exchange firewall ports

6. Backup of Outlook Database

7. Owa firewall ports

8. Proxy2.0 Exchange 5.5 and outlook 98 SLOW!!!

9. Firewall ports

10. OWA Firewall Ports

11. firewall ports/nt challenge/response Q's

12. firewall ports for outlook web access

13. Firewall ports?