NT 40 Bit VS 128 Bit and Exchange 5.5

Post by pr_rican » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I was working on an Exchange 5.5 problem with Microsoft Tech support and
they told me something interesting about Exchange and NT.

I was told by the Technician that I should only run Windows NT 40 Bit (I had
128 Bit installed) on a server that has Exchange because Exchange only comes
in a 40 Bit version. This will eliminate any discrepancies\problems between
Exchange and NT.

Anyone has any further information that could verify this or not?

Thanks

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>I was working on an Exchange 5.5 problem with Microsoft Tech support and
>they told me something interesting about Exchange and NT.

>I was told by the Technician that I should only run Windows NT 40 Bit (I had
>128 Bit installed) on a server that has Exchange because Exchange only comes
>in a 40 Bit version. This will eliminate any discrepancies\problems between
>Exchange and NT.

>Anyone has any further information that could verify this or not?

The difference in the 128- and 40-bit versions of NT is only in a few
DLL's. Running Exchange on a 128-bit NT platform shouldn't have any
effect since the encryption level is negotiated between the sender and
receiver. If it were any other way you'd never be able to have a
128-bit server communicate with a 40-bit server (or vice-versa).

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Post by Ber » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>I was working on an Exchange 5.5 problem with Microsoft Tech support and
>they told me something interesting about Exchange and NT.

>I was told by the Technician that I should only run Windows NT 40 Bit (I had
>128 Bit installed) on a server that has Exchange because Exchange only comes
>in a 40 Bit version. This will eliminate any discrepancies\problems between
>Exchange and NT.

>Anyone has any further information that could verify this or not?

I work for a Government agency and we have over 40 MSX Sites with the
Servers running MSX 5.5 and NT's North American Service Pack, which
has the 128 bit encryption.  Absolutely no problems.

One caveat.

If you are unlucky enough to be using an odd Military / Government
version of MSX called "DMS" then there could be some NA SP issues.
When we looked at DMS a while back, we were told it would not work
with the NA SP.  But if you had DMS you probably wouldn't be talking
to Microsoft.

- Bert

1. OWA - 40 bit vs 128 bit client

I am having trouble with Internet Explorer 40 bit version as a Outlook
Web Client. If I use the 128 bit version everything works just fine. The
40 bit version locks up when downloading attachments and has some other
weird things happen. My problem is that there are users overseas who
need to have access to Exchange using a web browser and it is illegal to
send 128 bit encryption there. Has anyone else seen anything like this
and if so is there a fix.

Thanks,
Lonnie

  lonniec.vcf
< 1K Download

2. OWA Login - two lines versus three lines

3. Web Client 40 bit encryption vs 128 bit - Internet Explorer

4. Remote Administration

5. How to change from 128 bit to 40 bit

6. Single Mailbox restore with CA Arcserve Tool

7. 128-bit SSL connection to OWA?

8. Import/Export

9. 128 bit admin tool

10. 128 bit encryption on owa! :( not working

11. I need patch for Outlook 98 with 128-bit encryption for Windows

12. SP2 128 Bit version

13. How secure is Outlook 2000/2002/2003 128-bit encryption