EXCHANGE EXAM STUDY

Post by Gary Swanto » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

About half way through studying from my final exam to complete MCSE.  I have
only Exchange to go and would like to know if anybody agrees with me in
thinking that there should be an Exchange in the Enterprise exam as well.

I administer a small organization / single site exchange environment and
have come to the conclusion that after studying for the exam that there is a
big difference in looking after exchange in my environment then looking
after exchange in a global environment.

Also in the context of the Server and Server in the Enterprise exam I feel
the single Exchange exam is asking a bit much.

What do you people think...

Regards

Gary Swanton
MCP (Only Exchange to Go)

EXCHANGE EXAM STUDY

Post by Roger Meie » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

I am not sure if there is enough material for two tests.  I think the
MCSE is geared to professionals who will be responsible for not only
single sites and mutiple sites thus the need to include multible sites.

I am not a consultant and I only have one site.  However I took the
test and passed relatively easily.  It can never hurt to know more than
required.

I thought the NT Workstation and NT in the Enterprise exams were
wastefully redundant.  About 75% of the material was the same.  I liked
this as it made studying much easier, I was able to pass both test by
studying in effect the same material.

Get Transcender and I loved the ExamCram books.

Good Luck

Quote:> About half way through studying from my final exam to complete MCSE.
I have
> only Exchange to go and would like to know if anybody agrees with me
in
> thinking that there should be an Exchange in the Enterprise exam as
well.

> I administer a small organization / single site exchange environment
and
> have come to the conclusion that after studying for the exam that
there is a
> big difference in looking after exchange in my environment then
looking
> after exchange in a global environment.

> Also in the context of the Server and Server in the Enterprise exam I
feel
> the single Exchange exam is asking a bit much.

> What do you people think...

> Regards

> Gary Swanton
> MCP (Only Exchange to Go)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

EXCHANGE EXAM STUDY

Post by Chris Scharf » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

On Wed, 24 May 2000 22:07:44 +1000,  "Gary Swanton"

>About half way through studying from my final exam to complete MCSE.  I have
>only Exchange to go and would like to know if anybody agrees with me in
>thinking that there should be an Exchange in the Enterprise exam as well.

>I administer a small organization / single site exchange environment and
>have come to the conclusion that after studying for the exam that there is a
>big difference in looking after exchange in my environment then looking
>after exchange in a global environment.

>Also in the context of the Server and Server in the Enterprise exam I feel
>the single Exchange exam is asking a bit much.

>What do you people think...

I think the Exchange exam doesn't test much that's useful anyway. Very
little of it deals with day to day exchange related tasks in any size
organization. It's just a test.

EXCHANGE EXAM STUDY

Post by Roger Meie » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

MOTC - While I think these MCSE things are basically a racket for MS, I
was surprised about how much of the material I have found useful.  I
did not find any of the material overly arcane or difficult (at least
to pass the exams) and thought the time I spent studying useful
(assuming one does these activities).

They do stick a few questions in that are ridiculous, however there is
plently of leeway to miss these and still pass.

Obviously doing and communicating with other professionals provides the
best way to learning the "real" rules, however the MCSE material was a
good start (and the CD's and stuff are so cool - especially the lapel
pin I wear everywhere I go).

Enjoy!

> On Wed, 24 May 2000 22:07:44 +1000,  "Gary Swanton"

> >About half way through studying from my final exam to complete
MCSE.  I have
> >only Exchange to go and would like to know if anybody agrees with me
in
> >thinking that there should be an Exchange in the Enterprise exam as
well.

> >I administer a small organization / single site exchange environment
and
> >have come to the conclusion that after studying for the exam that
there is a
> >big difference in looking after exchange in my environment then
looking
> >after exchange in a global environment.

> >Also in the context of the Server and Server in the Enterprise exam
I feel
> >the single Exchange exam is asking a bit much.

> >What do you people think...

> I think the Exchange exam doesn't test much that's useful anyway. Very
> little of it deals with day to day exchange related tasks in any size
> organization. It's just a test.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

EXCHANGE EXAM STUDY

Post by Gary Swanto » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

Thanx All for your comments., I guess its back to the books.
              I think I agree with what you are both saying about the test
being enough as long as you read your stuff and have the opportunity to get
hands-on experience.

What does concern me is that after administering our Exchange site for the
past 18months the topics that are covered in the Exchange exam I have never
had to do deal with, for example replication, inter and intra site
communications etc.

It just appears to be rather daunting that after 18months experience with
exchange I am reading about stuff that I havent heard of before.
 Anyway I suppose I will know in around a months time with I sit the exam
and then hopefully the MCSE will be mine after nearly 2 years of study and
experience.

Thanx again

Gary Swanton
MCP

> I am not sure if there is enough material for two tests.  I think the
> MCSE is geared to professionals who will be responsible for not only
> single sites and mutiple sites thus the need to include multible sites.

> I am not a consultant and I only have one site.  However I took the
> test and passed relatively easily.  It can never hurt to know more than
> required.

> I thought the NT Workstation and NT in the Enterprise exams were
> wastefully redundant.  About 75% of the material was the same.  I liked
> this as it made studying much easier, I was able to pass both test by
> studying in effect the same material.

> Get Transcender and I loved the ExamCram books.

> Good Luck

> > About half way through studying from my final exam to complete MCSE.
> I have
> > only Exchange to go and would like to know if anybody agrees with me
> in
> > thinking that there should be an Exchange in the Enterprise exam as
> well.

> > I administer a small organization / single site exchange environment
> and
> > have come to the conclusion that after studying for the exam that
> there is a
> > big difference in looking after exchange in my environment then
> looking
> > after exchange in a global environment.

> > Also in the context of the Server and Server in the Enterprise exam I
> feel
> > the single Exchange exam is asking a bit much.

> > What do you people think...

> > Regards

> > Gary Swanton
> > MCP (Only Exchange to Go)

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

EXCHANGE EXAM STUDY

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

>Thanx All for your comments., I guess its back to the books.
>              I think I agree with what you are both saying about the test
>being enough as long as you read your stuff and have the opportunity to get
>hands-on experience.

>What does concern me is that after administering our Exchange site for the
>past 18months the topics that are covered in the Exchange exam I have never
>had to do deal with, for example replication, inter and intra site
>communications etc.

And if you run only a single domain controller you probably never had
to deal with directory replication in NT, either. That doesn't mean it
isn't important. The test isn't about what you do at you job, it's
what MS (and others) think you should know about the product. There
are plenty of things you may not have to deal with now, but that are
important to understanding HOW the stuff works. None of the exams are
designed to test what you now about what you do in your job any more
than, say, a spelling test would be limited to words you use every day
(okay, weak analogy, but you get the point).

Quote:>It just appears to be rather daunting that after 18months experience with
>exchange I am reading about stuff that I havent heard of before.

Then think of how hard it might be to have to deal with thing that are
in Exchange NOW that aren't even covered in the tests! Can you use the
GWART to determine how a message might be routed between sites? Can
you use the MTA MIXER?

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. What to study for the Exchange Exam

Hi,

I'm planning to pass the Exchange exam (don't remember the exact number).
This is the first Microsoft exam that I will try to pass so I don't know
what style Microsoft uses for their exam. Can someone point me to the
particular area covered by the exam or give me some insight about the style
of Microsoft exams?

2. Migration Wizard

3. Good MCSE Study Guide to prepare for MS Exchange Server 5.0 Exam

4. Multiple folders/same name?

5. What to study for the Exchange Exam

6. TEAMPLANNING FOR EXCHANGE

7. IMAP setup

8. Exchange MCSE Study Site

9. Q: Exchange performance studies

10. Exchange admins needed to review MCSE study guide

11. Exchange Self-Study Material