Connecting Outlook 98 client to Exchange server through a Firewall

Connecting Outlook 98 client to Exchange server through a Firewall

Post by Bert Kruizeng » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 19:41:51

Does anyone have experience with the following:

Is it possible to have Outlook clients, configured to use offline folders,
connect to the exchange server through a Firewall?
This way they could connect to the server via RPC as a normal LAN user (MAPI
client) to exchange mail and synchronize their offline folders.
The clients are not connecting through RAS or any other kind of dail-in
facility, but via the internet

I read that RPC does not have standard port numbers and the documentation
only speaks of connecting through some kind of dial-in.
I also read that IMAP4 can perform a similar kind of synchornization, but
I'm not sure if it can provide the same functionality.

Has anyone tried this before and is it worth putting effort into, or is a
IMAP4 / POP3 client a better way (at least there is normal e-mail
functionality).

Any help is very appreciated.

Bert Kruizenga

Connecting Outlook 98 client to Exchange server through a Firewall

Post by Stan Stacke » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 00:43:43

Very Nice crossposting technique.
You will not get answers with such nonsense.

Quote:> Does anyone have experience with the following:

> Is it possible to have Outlook clients, configured to use offline folders,
> connect to the exchange server through a Firewall?
> This way they could connect to the server via RPC as a normal LAN user
(MAPI
> client) to exchange mail and synchronize their offline folders.
> The clients are not connecting through RAS or any other kind of dail-in
> facility, but via the internet

> I read that RPC does not have standard port numbers and the documentation
> only speaks of connecting through some kind of dial-in.
> I also read that IMAP4 can perform a similar kind of synchornization, but
> I'm not sure if it can provide the same functionality.

> Has anyone tried this before and is it worth putting effort into, or is a
> IMAP4 / POP3 client a better way (at least there is normal e-mail
> functionality).

> Any help is very appreciated.

> Bert Kruizenga

Connecting Outlook 98 client to Exchange server through a Firewall

Post by Mediaon » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 11:56:30

Agreed.  And it's a shame because there is a very easy answer to your
question.  Better learn some USENET etiquette for the future.

> Very Nice crossposting technique.
> You will not get answers with such nonsense.

> > Does anyone have experience with the following:

> > Is it possible to have Outlook clients, configured to use offline
folders,
> > connect to the exchange server through a Firewall?
> > This way they could connect to the server via RPC as a normal LAN user
> (MAPI
> > client) to exchange mail and synchronize their offline folders.
> > The clients are not connecting through RAS or any other kind of dail-in
> > facility, but via the internet

> > I read that RPC does not have standard port numbers and the
documentation
> > only speaks of connecting through some kind of dial-in.
> > I also read that IMAP4 can perform a similar kind of synchornization,
but
> > I'm not sure if it can provide the same functionality.

> > Has anyone tried this before and is it worth putting effort into, or is
> > IMAP4 / POP3 client a better way (at least there is normal e-mail
> > functionality).

> > Any help is very appreciated.

> > Bert Kruizenga

1. Connecting Outlook 98 client to Exchange server through a Firewall

[...]

2. olk97 and contacts

3. NT Response - Logging?

4. Exchange & ISP Connectivity

5. Outlook 98 clients cannot connect to exchange server after installing proxy client 2.0

6. Exchange 5.5 user wants to recieve under different names

7. Troubles with Outlook 98 and Exchange Server 5.5 (only a few clients connect)

8. Outlook 98 clients can't connect to local Exchange server when WAN link is down

9. Some Outlook 98 clients don't connect to Exchange Server 5.5

10. Outlook 98 clients can't connect to local Exchange server when WAN link is down