Up a creek without a paddle

Post by matt » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 14:05:33

I run an exchange server for a small camp, and today they informed me the
server was down. I've flown up for a couple days to discover that the Event
Service and the Internet Mail Service refuse to start.

The only clue I have is in the event log, it says "Unexpected error
<<0xc0040000 - The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available.
Either there are network problems or ... blah blah ... is down for
maintenance. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no:
8004011d-0526-00000000>> occurred.

That's it! Anyone have a clue?

I only have SP3 on the server... but i'm scared to put SP4 on with the
server in such a condition.

matt

Up a creek without a paddle

Post by AI » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 18:07:33

Hello,

This behavior may occur because the maximum size of the registry is set to
less than or equal to the actual registry size. Please follow these steps:
  1.. Right-click My Computer and click Properties .
  2.. Click the Performance tab.
  3.. In the Virtual Memory section, click Change .
  4.. Set the maximum registry size to a larger size than what the registry
currently displays on the screen.

  Regards,

Intermedia.NET (AI)
Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
Providing expertise in hosting applications
MS Exchange Hosting: http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
Windows 2000 Web Hosting:  http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting
For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

Quote:> I run an exchange server for a small camp, and today they informed me the
> server was down. I've flown up for a couple days to discover that the
Event
> Service and the Internet Mail Service refuse to start.

> The only clue I have is in the event log, it says "Unexpected error
> <<0xc0040000 - The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available.
> Either there are network problems or ... blah blah ... is down for
> maintenance. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no:
> 8004011d-0526-00000000>> occurred.

> That's it! Anyone have a clue?

> I only have SP3 on the server... but i'm scared to put SP4 on with the
> server in such a condition.

> matt

1. Up the creek -- Can't move defragged priv.edb back

I am up the creek now & need help ASAP with a fix, if there is one;  I
have an Exchange 5.5/SP4 system on NT4/SP6a, which I inherited.  The
exchange data was on a compressed volume and there have been corruption
problems.

This is an OLD server;  the volume only has 2GB.  With compression,
there was just 200MB+ free, and there was some corruption going on in
the Exchange data.  However, PRIV.EDB was around 2.4GB (not counting
compression).

So I ran a defrag using a network volume for the temp file.  The defrag
finished BUT it can't put the database back because it thinks it's too
large.  The database is now slightly under 2.1GB and it would presumably
fit after compression, but I can't copy it even manually because the
volume it's on is uncompressed so it thinks there is not enough space.

 From the time of the defrag, I have a lot of DAT files ... enough so
that if I could move them, I'd have JUST enough space to copy back the
DB.  But can I move them temporarily?

I'm suspecting I can't restore the files from tape, either, as the tape
backup file is uncompressed too.

Would really appreciate any help with this ASAP!  Thanks.  This server
is about to head out the door (a few weeks) but I need Exchange running
in the interim!

-- DE

2. How to Uninstall Exchange!

3. Microsoft Press More Than 300 Titles + FREE UPS Ground shipping

4. mailbox mixup

5. How to remove certin posts from NNTP service revisted

6. HELP: Using Exchange to Manage Schedules and Sign-Ups

7. Move Mailbox?

8. Are calendar roll-ups possible??

9. Exclusions from Back-ups

10. Exchange Server lock-ups