Exchange 2000 and POP mail at my ISP

Post by Roan » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:00:00

We have several POP mail accounts at our ISP and the individual pc's and
laptops retrieve email from the accounts using the Internet.

We now have a Exchange 2000 server and will need to have it check all the
POP accounts and route the messages to newly created exchange mailboxes
which the pc's and laptops and web users will log in to.

I know this is not ideal - setting up a new MX record to point all email
directly to the new Excg 2000 server would be best - but, for the moment,
this is what we need.

What is the best way to do this?

Thank you all in advance.

Brian

Exchange 2000 and POP mail at my ISP

Post by Brett Pric » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Why on earth would U want to keep using an ISP, but being so have
him change his MX to point back at U. Anything else would be a management
nigthmare especially since the pc's now connect to exchange and owa.
Besides can't pop3 and Exchange in the same client, would have to use
Express
and Outlook both, wouldn't that be fun ?

Quote:> We have several POP mail accounts at our ISP and the individual pc's and
> laptops retrieve email from the accounts using the Internet.

> We now have a Exchange 2000 server and will need to have it check all the
> POP accounts and route the messages to newly created exchange mailboxes
> which the pc's and laptops and web users will log in to.

> I know this is not ideal - setting up a new MX record to point all email
> directly to the new Excg 2000 server would be best - but, for the moment,
> this is what we need.

> What is the best way to do this?

> Thank you all in advance.

> Brian

Exchange 2000 and POP mail at my ISP

Post by Andy Web » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Was that english?

Simpler-Webb, Inc.  Austin, TX  "Mauve has more RAM" -Dilbert
Exchange FAQ   -   http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

> Why on earth would U want to keep using an ISP, but being so have
> him change his MX to point back at U. Anything else would be a management
> nigthmare especially since the pc's now connect to exchange and owa.
> Besides can't pop3 and Exchange in the same client, would have to use
> Express
> and Outlook both, wouldn't that be fun ?

> > We have several POP mail accounts at our ISP and the individual pc's and
> > laptops retrieve email from the accounts using the Internet.

> > We now have a Exchange 2000 server and will need to have it check all
the
> > POP accounts and route the messages to newly created exchange mailboxes
> > which the pc's and laptops and web users will log in to.

> > I know this is not ideal - setting up a new MX record to point all email
> > directly to the new Excg 2000 server would be best - but, for the
moment,
> > this is what we need.

> > What is the best way to do this?

> > Thank you all in advance.

> > Brian

Exchange 2000 and POP mail at my ISP

Post by Roan » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Just looking for a tried and true 3rd party POP 3 connector for Exchange
2000 - have just learned of a product called "MailEssentials" by a company
called GFI. Anyone know of any others?

> Was that english?

> --

> Simpler-Webb, Inc.  Austin, TX  "Mauve has more RAM" -Dilbert
> Exchange FAQ   -   http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

> > Why on earth would U want to keep using an ISP, but being so have
> > him change his MX to point back at U. Anything else would be a
management
> > nigthmare especially since the pc's now connect to exchange and owa.
> > Besides can't pop3 and Exchange in the same client, would have to use
> > Express
> > and Outlook both, wouldn't that be fun ?

> > > We have several POP mail accounts at our ISP and the individual pc's
and
> > > laptops retrieve email from the accounts using the Internet.

> > > We now have a Exchange 2000 server and will need to have it check all
> the
> > > POP accounts and route the messages to newly created exchange
mailboxes
> > > which the pc's and laptops and web users will log in to.

> > > I know this is not ideal - setting up a new MX record to point all
email
> > > directly to the new Excg 2000 server would be best - but, for the
> moment,
> > > this is what we need.

> > > What is the best way to do this?

> > > Thank you all in advance.

> > > Brian

Exchange 2000 and POP mail at my ISP

Post by Steve Johnso » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Not sure : ) hehhe

Any way, if that is the way you would like to opperate you need to know that
Exchange cannot go out check pop email.

So .. assuming Outlook is everyones email client currently.
Connecting everyone to their exchange mailboxes. (Make sure that is the
delivery point for all mail insteed of the personal folder)
Import their *.pst file into the exchange mailbox then remove the personal
folders service (this does NOT delete the local *.pst file which is good.)
Configure Internet mail for each user (connecting them to the pop server)
Lastly, VERY important. Under the deliver tab (from tools, services) move
internet email to the top of the list.

Later, when your ready to fully move to internal mail server just have your
ISP change your MX record and remove internet email service from every
machine.

> Was that english?

> --

> Simpler-Webb, Inc.  Austin, TX  "Mauve has more RAM" -Dilbert
> Exchange FAQ   -   http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

> > Why on earth would U want to keep using an ISP, but being so have
> > him change his MX to point back at U. Anything else would be a
management
> > nigthmare especially since the pc's now connect to exchange and owa.
> > Besides can't pop3 and Exchange in the same client, would have to use
> > Express
> > and Outlook both, wouldn't that be fun ?

> > > We have several POP mail accounts at our ISP and the individual pc's
and
> > > laptops retrieve email from the accounts using the Internet.

> > > We now have a Exchange 2000 server and will need to have it check all
> the
> > > POP accounts and route the messages to newly created exchange
mailboxes
> > > which the pc's and laptops and web users will log in to.

> > > I know this is not ideal - setting up a new MX record to point all
email
> > > directly to the new Excg 2000 server would be best - but, for the
> moment,
> > > this is what we need.

> > > What is the best way to do this?

> > > Thank you all in advance.

> > > Brian

Exchange 2000 and POP mail at my ISP

Post by Ed Woodric » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

That's an easy one.

I haven't seen one that is tried and true yet. They all seem to cause
problems.

--
Ed Woodrick
MVP - Exchange

> Just looking for a tried and true 3rd party POP 3 connector for Exchange
> 2000 - have just learned of a product called "MailEssentials" by a company
> called GFI. Anyone know of any others?

> > Was that english?

> > --

> > Simpler-Webb, Inc.  Austin, TX  "Mauve has more RAM" -Dilbert
> > Exchange FAQ   -   http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

> > > Why on earth would U want to keep using an ISP, but being so have
> > > him change his MX to point back at U. Anything else would be a
> management
> > > nigthmare especially since the pc's now connect to exchange and owa.
> > > Besides can't pop3 and Exchange in the same client, would have to use
> > > Express
> > > and Outlook both, wouldn't that be fun ?

> and

> > the
> mailboxes

> email
> > moment,

Exchange 2000 and POP mail at my ISP

Post by MCSE+ » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Does I write better english? Perhaps, after all!

--
Thierry DEMAN-BARCEL. NORMAND INFORMATIQUE (MCSP)
http://www.normand-info.fr

> Was that english?

> --

> Simpler-Webb, Inc.  Austin, TX  "Mauve has more RAM" -Dilbert
> Exchange FAQ   -   http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

> > Why on earth would U want to keep using an ISP, but being so have
> > him change his MX to point back at U. Anything else would be a
management
> > nigthmare especially since the pc's now connect to exchange and owa.
> > Besides can't pop3 and Exchange in the same client, would have to use
> > Express
> > and Outlook both, wouldn't that be fun ?

> > > We have several POP mail accounts at our ISP and the individual pc's
and
> > > laptops retrieve email from the accounts using the Internet.

> > > We now have a Exchange 2000 server and will need to have it check all
> the
> > > POP accounts and route the messages to newly created exchange
mailboxes
> > > which the pc's and laptops and web users will log in to.

> > > I know this is not ideal - setting up a new MX record to point all
email
> > > directly to the new Excg 2000 server would be best - but, for the
> moment,
> > > this is what we need.

> > > What is the best way to do this?

> > > Thank you all in advance.

> > > Brian

Exchange 2000 and POP mail at my ISP

Post by DJM » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 04:00:00

This is exactly what I do at home.

Only problem is, now, when I send e-mail, regardless of what format I
compose the message (Plain Text, Rich Text, or HTML), the message is sent as
HTML.  Is this an issue with connecting to the Exchange 2000 server, or is
this an issue with my client (Outlook 2000)?

> Not sure : ) hehhe

> Any way, if that is the way you would like to opperate you need to know
that
> Exchange cannot go out check pop email.

> So .. assuming Outlook is everyones email client currently.
> Connecting everyone to their exchange mailboxes. (Make sure that is the
> delivery point for all mail insteed of the personal folder)
> Import their *.pst file into the exchange mailbox then remove the personal
> folders service (this does NOT delete the local *.pst file which is good.)
> Configure Internet mail for each user (connecting them to the pop server)
> Lastly, VERY important. Under the deliver tab (from tools, services) move
> internet email to the top of the list.

> Later, when your ready to fully move to internal mail server just have
your
> ISP change your MX record and remove internet email service from every
> machine.

> > Was that english?

> > --

> > Simpler-Webb, Inc.  Austin, TX  "Mauve has more RAM" -Dilbert
> > Exchange FAQ   -   http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

> > > Why on earth would U want to keep using an ISP, but being so have
> > > him change his MX to point back at U. Anything else would be a
> management
> > > nigthmare especially since the pc's now connect to exchange and owa.
> > > Besides can't pop3 and Exchange in the same client, would have to use
> > > Express
> > > and Outlook both, wouldn't that be fun ?

> and

> > the
> mailboxes

> email
> > moment,

1. Getting Mail from ISP pop mail.

Is there a way to have my exchange server automatically retrieve mail from
my ISP and route it to the proper mail recipient.  I have 4 mail accounts
setup with my ISP and the internet mail client set up on the OL2000 clients.
This works fine, however, I would like to have my exchange server get mail
from these accounts and pass it on.

I know that I can have Exchange be my pop mail server, however, that
requires a fixed IP address etc. and I don't have that $$$ luxury right now.

Thanks
Rob

2. Synchronizing address book

3. Exchange retreive mail from ISP POP account

4. Mail delay

5. The solution: How to POP mail from your ISP to Exchange server

6. How register a sink com Class (On Arrival)

7. Retrieving e-mail from a pop server isp to an exchange client

8. Upgrade fails

9. Can Exchange Server get POP mail from ISP?

10. The solution: How to POP mail from your ISP to Exchange server

11. can exchange 2000 retrive pop mail from another mail server

12. Outlook 2000, mix with pop mail and Exchange mail

13. Multiple POP mail collection for other ISP's