Replacing an organizations 1st Exchange 5.5 server

Replacing an organizations 1st Exchange 5.5 server

Post by microsof » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00

We have a exchange 5.5 server. It was the first exchange server of the
organization. We are needing to upgrade the server to newer and better
technology. It is the PDC for the messaging domain. We have two other BDCs
in the messaging domain.

Any gotchas or ideas on how to best handle a task like this?

We were thinking about doing this:

a. move all mailboxes off

b. make sure same services / apps are on one of the bdcs

c. bring down exchange01 and promote the bdc to pdc

d. build new exchange box on new hardware

e. move mailboxes to new exchange box

Thanks

Replacing an organizations 1st Exchange 5.5 server

Post by Andy Web » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00

See the FAQ.  Appendix A.

Simpler-Webb, Inc.  Austin, TX  "Mauve has more RAM" -Dilbert
Exchange FAQ   -   http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Quote:> We have a exchange 5.5 server. It was the first exchange server of the
> organization. We are needing to upgrade the server to newer and better
> technology. It is the PDC for the messaging domain. We have two other BDCs
> in the messaging domain.

> Any gotchas or ideas on how to best handle a task like this?

> We were thinking about doing this:

> a. move all mailboxes off

> b. make sure same services / apps are on one of the bdcs

> c. bring down exchange01 and promote the bdc to pdc

> d. build new exchange box on new hardware

> e. move mailboxes to new exchange box

> Thanks

1. replace exchange 5.5 server with exchange 2000 server

Hi,

I currently have Exchange 5.5 on NT 4.0 I plan to setup a new server
(hardware) with Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000 installed.  My plan is to
replace the current Exchange 5.5 server.

I'm hoping to setup the new server and then move the mailbox from exchange
5.5 to exchange 2000?
Any tips or suggestions on what to look for during this process?

Thanks in advance!

2. Internet mail Security question...

3. Transfering roles from 1st 5.5 server in site

4. Using Storstat

5. Replacing a Exchange 5.5 server

6. How to restrict the addresses a mailbox can send to?

7. guidelines for replacing exchange server 5.5

8. Cannot send mail between two exchange servers

9. Move users from one 5.5 server to a 5.5 server in a different organization

10. Replace my Exchange 5.5 server

11. !!Help New Back Office Server to Replace Existing Exchange 5.5

12. Replacing lone Exchange 5.5 server

13. Replacing old exchange 5.5 server