Multi-sites, multi smtp connector and routing problem

Multi-sites, multi smtp connector and routing problem

Post by <david.guil.. » Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

 Following some exchange last week in this newsgroup, and as requested here
is a description of my problem :

  SMTP connector  (Internet)                   SMTP connector (Internet)
            X400 connector  -------  InterSites -----   X400 connector

 I have created a custom recipient in Site A :

 x400 address for Exchange internal management

When I'm connected on Site A, if I send a mail to my custom recipient, the
mail goes directly thru my SMTP connector to the correct address. Now, my

mail comes in (I've got traces), then cross my X400 intersites connector to
use the SMTP connector on the other site although that route has a weight of
2 whereas the local SMTP as 1.

Anybody else notice something like this ??, any idea ??

David.

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Hi there,

> Following some exchange last week in this newsgroup, and as requested here
>is a description of my problem :

>  SMTP connector  (Internet)                   SMTP connector (Internet)
>       X400 connector  -------  InterSites -----   X400 connector

> I have created a custom recipient in Site A :

> x400 address for Exchange internal management

Let's get the terminology right so we can understand what you're
trying to say. The "reply address" is usually the "primary SMTP proxy
address" and it's usually found in the property "E-Mail Address" of
the Custom Recipient. It's this address that determines the
destination of messages sent to the Custom Recipient.

The address that you refer to as the "reply address" is usually a
secondary SMTP proxy address and appears in the "E-Mail Addresses"
property (note the plural).

Now, it doesn't HAVE to be that way, but that's the way it's set up by
default when you create the CR.

In the case you're discussing I'd expect to see the

would also be the primary SMTP proxy address in the "E-Mail Addresses"
property (the one with the upper-case SMTP prefix).

Quote:>When I'm connected on Site A, if I send a mail to my custom recipient, the
>mail goes directly thru my SMTP connector to the correct address.

Good. This is just the way it should work.

>Now, my

>mail comes in (I've got traces), then cross my X400 intersites connector to
>use the SMTP connector on the other site although that route has a weight of
>2 whereas the local SMTP as 1.

>Anybody else notice something like this ??, any idea ??

Well, one thing comes to mind -- and I'm not sure how applicable it is
to your situation. If the MTA is viewing this message as I think it
might be, then it will not send the message out of the site over the
same connector over which it entered the site. It does this in order
to avoid a message loop.

If you restrict the scope of the address space on the IMS's to "This
site" does the message leave by way of SiteA's IMS? It should!

The other possibility is that the MTA has a problem selecting the
local connector and is mistakenly selecting a more expensive route. I
remember reading a KB article on a problem like that but I can't seem
to locate it! If you suspect this then call MS PSS.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Post by <david.guil.. » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>>Now, my

>>mail comes in (I've got traces), then cross my X400 intersites connector
>>use the SMTP connector on the other site although that route has a weight
of
>>2 whereas the local SMTP as 1.

>>Anybody else notice something like this ??, any idea ??

>Well, one thing comes to mind -- and I'm not sure how applicable it is
>to your situation. If the MTA is viewing this message as I think it
>might be, then it will not send the message out of the site over the
>same connector over which it entered the site. It does this in order
>to avoid a message loop.

I agree with this analyze, it was also my first impression.

Quote:>If you restrict the scope of the address space on the IMS's to "This
>site" does the message leave by way of SiteA's IMS? It should!

It doesn't !! (confirm by a track on the incoming message, and re-confirm by
no trace in my SMTP log file (UX Host) for outgoing message)>

Quote:>The other possibility is that the MTA has a problem selecting the
>local connector and is mistakenly selecting a more expensive route. I
>remember reading a KB article on a problem like that but I can't seem
>to locate it! If you suspect this then call MS PSS.

I'll follow your advise, anyway thanks again Rich. I still looks for
somebody else with the same configuration to check that this is really the
behavior of Exchange 5.5.

David.

1. Multi-sites, multi smtp connector and routing problem (continuation)

Hi there,

Here we are :

  SMTP connector  (Internet)                   SMTP connector (Internet)
            X400 connector  -------  InterSites -----   X400 connector

I have created a custom recipient in Site A :

outgoing mails)

incoming mails to)
x400 address for Exchange internal management

When I'm connected on Site A, if I send a mail to my custom recipient, the
mail goes directly thru my SMTP connector to the correct address. Now, my

mail comes in (I've got traces), then cross my X400 intersites connector to
use the SMTP connector on the other site although that route has a weight of
2 whereas the local SMTP as 1. Following some appreciated ideas (from Rich
Matheisen and this newsgroup), I've modified the scope of the IMS as follow
:

SMTP          *                             1
SMTP  domain_name_to_reroute 1

But it still does not work, and use the X400 intersites connector to reach
the other IMS. It really seems to be difficult to circumvent.

Before logging a trouble ticket at MS Support, I would like to find somebody
which such a configuration to double check. Thanks in advance.

David.

2. Exchange Server Hangs

3. Multi-sites, multi smtp connector and rerouting problem

4. Performance of EXCH 4.0 v EXCH 5.0

5. Multi-Site vs Multi-Server/Single-Site via WAN

6. OWA Access

7. Multi-Site routing problem

8. Custom Recipients Container

9. Multi site routing problem

10. Multi site, multi domain, 5.5 and 2000 question

11. OWA & multi-site multi-domain

12. Multi site, multi domain, 5.5 and 2000 question

13. E2K ,E5.5 Multi Site Multi Org connection